1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I think I have my hands full!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tad houston, Oct 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tad houston

tad houston TS Member

Well, we had our organizational meeting last night for the 2009-2010 season for our SCTP / AIM team.

Now keep in mind that 4 years ago when I got involved in this we had, I think 16 kids on a good day. Felt pretty good last year when we had 30 or so active shooters.

Well we had a pretty good year this past year and had some recognition locally so we thought we would have some additional interest but here is a shot of last nights meeting...

[​IMG]

Somewhere around 200 parents and kids showed up! We have more Junior high kids signed up than we had on the whole squad last year and even more High School kids.

Looks like another fun year ahead, I can't wait!

2. 1290FPS

1290FPS Member

Nice work Trapdady. Please don't forget to encourage NRA memberships for these fine young people.

3. tad houston

tad houston TS Member

You bet we do!

I was able to talk personally to quite a few of these folks last night and as in past years, many have no previous experience or exposure to guns (and gun rights) but we will take care of that.

4. Twixter

Twixter Member

Trapdaddy:

Don't know if your state requires it or not, but why not incorporate a hunters safety program in with your SCTP/Aim program. Maybe you do I'm not familiar with these programs but probably should be.

Just a thought. Mick

5. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Mick, You're right about your last statement. If you have the chance, please get involved. There are a lot of great kids out there that can use the help. AIM is coming on strong in our area, I don't know why the NSSA or local skeet shooters in our area don't feel the need to help out the youngsters. It would have been nice to have those programs when I was a kid. They are our future. I hope all is well and best wishes to you, Bob

6. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

Very impressive....Nice Job !!!.........Uncle Sam, Pa.

7. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

It sure is pleasing to know we have folks like you in our ranks :)

8. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

Our small kids trap club requires that the child has passed the hunter safety course. Helps with insurance and REALLY is encouraged by the school district since we shoot on the school grounds most of the time.

That is a wonderful response to a great program. Not only do kids get to shoot,learn gun safety and make great friends, they also will remember this time for the rest of their lives and hopefully bring someone into shooting down the road. The mindset and demeanor of a coach has ALOT to do with membership. Great job trapdady.

9. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Trapdady.....

you have a PM. Email me ASAP.

I'm retiring in two years and moving to Branson. I know that doesn't help you today, but I'll be GLAD to help out when I get there. I teach 4h now, plus we have AIM and SCTP in alaska, though not on such a grand scale.

there's not many things better in the world than teaching a junior or new lady shooter and having them break targets.

I want to be involved. Badly.

Jeff Pokorny
    jpokorny@cookinlethousing.org

10. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

That's fantastic!

11. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Wow. Double-wow!

12. tad houston

tad houston TS Member

Thanks for the support!

Yes, we do require a Hunters Safety Card to participate.

I should add that I am among the ranks here BECAUSE of these kids. Truth be told, when we moved here almost 4 years ago my son came home from one of his first days of class and announced that he wanted to join the Trap Team.

My answer was "Your not fast enough to run track"!! I had never heard of a school Trap team, and for that matter, wasn't real sure exactly what Trap was.

Boy how things have changed!

13. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Nice job! Kids will determine whether legal gun ownership remains an American right, so the more new shooters the better.

-Gary

14. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

trapdaddy has done a great job with the young people, the turn out shows how successful and popular his program is. He's worked very hard, and I'm sure made many personal sacrifices to get to this point, not only is he a good coach he is also a great ambassador for the sport as is his son who is a great up and coming trap shooter as well. Contrats Tad. Ross Carter

15. tad houston

tad houston TS Member

Ross, Thanks for the kind words.

I have been away from the computer for a couple days so I am just now catching up with some of the PM's.

Thanks again for the support.

16. emm2

emm2 Member

Hats off to you Trapdady, it's people like you that keep the sport alive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.