1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I think I got scammed on TS by a guy

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JPSemper, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JPSemper

JPSemper Member

I all of the years I have participated on TS.com I never thought I would be writing such a message. I believe I’ve been scammed by a fellow trapshooter. Let me start from the beginning……

I bought this press used and then bought the new primer feed. Not knowing Mec machines, I just felt it was too much since I use a Dillon 900 for 12 Gauge. I just ordered the parts for Dillon and back on February 17, 2010, I posted the following:

“FOR SALE: Used 28 Gauge MEC 8567 Grabber with a new large Primer feed that has never been used. Bought the machine and never used it. I decided to buy a 28 Gauge head for my Dillon instead. Comes with a new 3/4 ounce charge bar and a #17 Bushing. Asking $200. I'll ship it once funds received”.

I had a couple of people respond and I accepted a bid from a fellow trapshooter for the asking price. I packed the reloader up and shipped it out via UPS. Once shipped, I sent the tracking information through TS PM. I still held the check un-cashed. About 5 days later, I get a PM from the guy that bought the machine in West Virginia telling me something wasn’t right and the machine would have to be sent to Mec or he would just send the machine back to me. I told him to send the machine back to Mec and write me a new check less the cost of repair from Mec. I also said I would destroy the check which I did. I thought I was being fair since I didn’t cash his check and wanted to make sure the machine was in acceptable condition.

I waited until 3/16 and sent a PM asking what the status of the repairs on the machine were progressing. The message was read but I received no response. I sent the same message on 3/20: “Have you heard from MEC concerning the MEC loader? “. Again, the PM was read but still no response.

Now, here’s where it gets interesting! While I was on TS on 3/21, I decided to look and see what this person has responded to with other messages. What I found really got me angry. He responded to a “WTB ad for a 28 Gauge Loader on 3/2/10:
    Subject: WTB. 28 GUAGE LOADER
    Email:
    Date: Tue, Mar 02, 2010 - 09:00 PM ET
    Website Address:
    I have a 28 gage grabber that I got from a TS member last week, but it needs a tune up. You can have it for 125 shipped. I was going to send it to MEC and he was going to help pay the fix-it cost. I don't want the hassle.
    I XXX’d out name to be polite. Once I saw this I started to be pissed since he could have called me, PM’d me or e-mailed me and told me of his intentions. I feel I’ve been wronged. What do you think?

On Sunday evening, I PM’d the following in response to his offering to sell the Grabber to someone else:
    “You forgot to pay me the $200 for the 28 gauge loader and have not responded to my requests for information.

I ripped up your check in good faith. Because I didn't want you or anyone on TS to think I was screwing you. Then when you told me it wasn't right, I agreed with you for you to send it to Mec and then deduct the tune up from the $200 you owe me. The least you could have done is to write me through TS, e-mail me, or call me and tell me your full intentions. If you decided not to send it to Mec for a tune up, you could have sent it back to me. Not try to sell it to someone else!

I sent you a couple of requests to contact me but you are now trying to sell the Grabber without having paid for it. Now I'm out the $200 plus the shipping charges. How do you think I feel right now?
    John Semprini”

No response to this PM either!

I’ve bought and sold everything from guns and leather goods on this site and have never experienced this before. I shouldn’t feel angry about how I was treated, tell me and I’ll shut up. I believe he had opportunity to send me a message or God forbid to actually pay me before he went out and tried to sell it off. I’ll bet the offered price he gave of $125 didn’t include the new primer feed. Well, I shouldn’t have said that. But I’d say it was a good guess.

Yes, I have his address and his ATA number but don’t want to give it out unless he doesn’t wish to respond. Sorry for the long post but I’m a little angry and a bit embarassed over this. The very least all I wanted was a response to my PM's. I thought I deserved that at the very least!

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Just another "Low-life"....good thing it is only $200 and not $2k.

Post his name. "N'er-do-good's" need to be brought into the light of day.

Curt

3. alf174

alf174 Member

He's ignored you up to now, he probably doesn't give hoot about this post.

4. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I believe, in my own opinion, that in a short while (not sure of what "short" should be), if you get nothing back from the guy, then I would be interested to know who it was.

I would like to know so I can put him on my DNDW list (Do Not Deal With). I have a few guys on it already. They order something, mess it up, then send it back wanting a refund, or they hold onto parts for months and months, then want to return it. What irritates me is that in this business, I am always turning down business because I run out of my supply of parts and have to either special order them, or wait for them from Italy. In the interim I have lost sales.

If this guy is on TS.COM, he should stand up and take care of business. With the Internet, the world is just way too small to hide. You can't ignore NOT taking care of business without it biting you in the backside now adays.

Too bad you ripped up his check. You probably should have kept it until the entire matter was settled, but I've done the exact same thing a time or two in the past. Now, I deposit it and will issue a refund check, to both protect my interests, AND to have a record of it for the business.

$200 is a "spit in the ocean" and not worth someone NOT taking care of business. It does not take much to tarnish a reputation of character. And, once that occurs, it takes until hell freezes over to "clear" it.

Hope things work out for you, as it also sours doing business for others here on TS.COM. In fact, if the person does NOT rectify this, I will recommend to David that his membership cease here on TS.COM.

IMHO.

Whiz White

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

What Whiz said!

Ed

6. romie

romie Active Member

I agree this sould be a somewhat safe board if you use common sence .At least post his name to keep the rest of us from getting burnt. POST HIS NAME.
    MAYBE WE SHOULD KEEP A BE WARE OF BOARD.

7. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

A month has past , plenty of messages sent , he has your machine , you have no money for it , he is selling your machine ?? Not even the decency of a reply ? Enough said >> post his name . Let him deal with the consequences . These people feel you will be nice and refuse to post their names , Do the right thing for others .

8. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Unfortunately it's just too easy to get screwed when doing transactions over the internet. No matter the amount, I get the funds to clear and only THEN does the item go out. Then if there is an issue, you can deal with it.

Sounds like you have been WAY more than helpful including offering to pay for the tune up which you really didn't have to do since he was buying a used machine and should understand that it might nee to be tuned up.

Post his info because other members should know not to deal with him and maybe with a little info online, he might get his act together and pay up.

9. dimapower

dimapower Member

That is low. Pretty easy to figure out who it is. I hope he gets back to you.

10. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Ok I searched and found: Anchorsteam

11. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

West Virginia? Maybe it's someone who "lives by the feud". Whatever was wrong with it must have really made him mad and it was all downhill after that.
    You're in the right, but getting this settled is going to be damn near impossible. You need your loader back and I'd bet he won't want to pay shipping (either way). I feel sorry for you. Good luck.

12. JPSemper

JPSemper Member

Thank you all for responding. I wanted your input because I value your opinions and if I were being an ass, I would drop my concerns completely. I sincerely enjoy trap shooting and this board as well. If I'm doing something wrong, I want to be told so. I appreciate that many of you feel I've done the right thing.

John Semprini

13. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Post his name and ATA #. I bet the word will get back to him some how that he is a dirt bag. I have experienced nothing but good transactions on here both buying and selling. This is a shame but there has to be one in every crowd. I wish I could run onto this guy and I mite some day at a shoot. I would install some will nots on his head.

14. bakergun

bakergun TS Member

Post his name if he is trying to sell it for 125.00 he is already trying to rip someelse off, help them not get riped of.
    Pete

15. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

It's just plain common sense to protect yourself.

1. Keep the check.

2. If the goods was described accurately let the person with buyer's remorse send it back on his nickel. The minute you get into He says she says and fixing stuff it becomes a nightmare. 3 days is enough time to decide, after that it's theirs.

3. Strive for accuracy and promptness above all. Do not sell something if you can't ship it immediately upon receiving funds. I usually pack the goods while the check is on the way. I use Postal Money Orders most of the time so I don't have to get NSF charges. the last check I got burned me for 40 on a NSF.

This internet biz is a good deal for lots of people, the bad apples are a damn shame.

HM

16. bakergun

bakergun TS Member

DO as JoeE1 said I found out in about 2 minutes who it was
    pete

17. EE

EE Banned User Banned

Mash the link.

EE

18. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

But the sad part is that "Anchorstream" can return under a different alias. And even if his Internet identifier ditty is banned, he can come back from a different computer using a different email address. As easy as Hotmail, Gmail and other such email addresses are to get (and for free, too), there's no stopping scum like that.

Yet another reason to require full name and address disclosure in order to post. That won't stop them all either, but having to "sign" your name somehow places more importance upon what you are signing.

Ed

19. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

You have been more than fair in your dealins with this person. he has proven him/her self to be dishonest and unreliable and non reponsive. I think you need to post his / her name and all other identifing information here on TS. This person is just wrong, and deserves to be exposed

20. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

A rifle forum I go to has a "good guy" list. Feedback from buyers.

I don't think we have enough traffic for that but it might be worht pondering.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.