1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I think I figured something out?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dednlost, Feb 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dednlost

Dednlost Member

Have noticed a for awhile that I need to hold a lot lower on the hard angle birds to smoke them than I do on the straights and little quarters. My poi is about 10 inches high at 30 and hold a low gun.

Could it be that I'm stopping the gun on the straight aways and not when I'm chasing the hard angles or is there some other reason?

Maybe I don't quite have the correct poi yet, thinking that the angles are much more critical as to the pattern elevation since the pattern is pretty much round? In other words you have a much smaller pattern to use on the angles if the pattern is high or low. Open to any and all suggestions, thoughts, and ...

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Even Harlan Campbell Jr does that. Holds lower on 1 and 5.

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

We sweat the angles and miss the straightaways. (sigh)

4. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

You need to see (see) the target and see it instantly . Hold off the house and low you can always go back .

5. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Alf has it right. Tha tis what Harlan does

6. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Never hold in the center of the house from station 3.. always to the left or right.. You'll never have a station 3 straight away again..

7. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

One reason Harlan Campbell holds a little lower on station five is to see the target quicker as it comes out of the house. Another reason is; if you hold a high gun on station five it's too easy too swing over on top of the bird.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

I am a one eyed shooter so I hold low (just below the roof) on all stations for singles and lower for handicap. It seems as if the lower I hold my gun, the faster I shoot. I cannot explain this, but it happens.

ALF-99 I would never hold off of the outside corner of the house. MIA- are you sure Harlin does this? Most of the good shooters I have talked with indicate it is a very bad idea.

Pat Ireland

9. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

"Subject: I think I figured something out?
    Email:
    Date: Sun, Feb 22, 2009 - 06:45 AM ET
    Website Address:

I am a one eyed shooter so I hold low (just below the roof) on all stations for singles and lower for handicap. It seems as if the lower I hold my gun, the faster I shoot. I cannot explain this, but it happens

Im new to the game...and have been shooting mostly "games", protection and such ....all from the 27.
    I find if I hold well below the house, I see the bird faster and have to "chase" it. For ME, it forces me to follow through with the shot and my hits increase dramatically. If I hold high I tend to stop the gun, especially on straight aways @ 3. Works for me..

10. Dednlost

Dednlost Member

Thanks for all the good info and replies. I guess I wasn't clear on what I'm trying to figure out. What I'm trying to understand is why I apparantly have to float the bird more on hard angles than I do on straightaways. Anyone else have this?

11. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

DEDNLOST,IF BY HOLDING LOWER ON THE ANGLES YOU MEAN U HAVE TO HOLD LOWER ON THE TARGET AND NOT THE TRAP ROOF---YOU COULD BE ARCHING OVER THE TARGETS ON HARD ANGLES--KEEP YOUR WEIGHT FORWARD AND SWING FROM THE WAIST.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.