1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I Think I Broke Another Part of Me

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SevenMaryThree, Oct 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

Flinch. Lost.

I had been shooting about 400-500 rounds of 12 ga. and another 200 rounds of 28 & 20 (mostly 20) every week up until about 6 weeks ago. Add into that the 7-8000 rounds I burn through in Argentina and I was doing a little bit of shooting. My sporting clays average was hovering at 92/100.

Then one day about a month and a half ago I whiffed some pretty easy shots trying to kill the birds with the mark of Zorro. Sh!t...I'm flinching.

I took a few weeks off and just shot dove with the 28. Everything seemed ok. Two weeks ago I shot 75 rounds at a charity event. I dropped 4 birds flinching. Worse, I came away feeling like a gravel hauler had lost a load in my shoulder. This past weekend I switched to the autoloader and shot put 150 rounds through the pipe. I easily dropped half a dozen birds flinching, and my shoulder feels like that same gravel hauler backed up over me.

I've had problems with stock pitch and recoil before, but have never had shoulder pain like this from shooting shotguns. I'm confident that it is the source of my new found gremlin. I'm eating NSAIDs but three days later am still hurting at 6-7 on a scale of 10...and I'm not that old of a guy.

I guess I'm going to need to get an x-ray and then maybe an MRI to check for soft tissue damage.

I had to give up archery because it was tearing my elbows up too bad. I really, really don't want to lose my lust for shotguns. This sucks.

2. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

It sounds like what I've just been diagnosed with arthritis!

The doctor says that I'm too young for a replacement so we went with a steroid shot that actually makes it feel worse.

Go see a good doctor, pray for the best, and expect the worse...

God BLess,
    TNCoach

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Where exactly is the pain? Does it hurt lifting the gun, swinging the gun or from the recoil? What other actions cause the pain? Is the pain preventing you from sleeping or getting a good nights sleep? What sort of pain is it? Burning, throbbing, sharp stabbing?

Had lived with shoulder pain for 25 years. Have had (4) shoulder surgeries on the same shoulder. Finally after much thought and many sleepless nights, I had it replaced. Wow, no pain. None. I'm shooting again and even picked up the Hoyt bow the other day and shot some arrows. I'm not saying you need you shoulder replaced but I do think a Sports Medicine Shoulder and Elbow doc would be wise.

4. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

grntitan - The pain seems to emanate from the connective tissues in the joint itself. Definitely some kind of "-itis" if it isn't an outright injury. It makes it tender to pressure and throbs if there is any weight bearing as I move it through the range of motion. Yes, it is starting to interfere with sleep and I often wake up with it feeling worse than when I went to bed.

I've had lots of cortisone injections in my knees and elbows, but my shoulders have always been good. I'm only 40..I think I'm going to start with an xray and if that is unremarkable try to get an MRI to see what's going on in there.

In the meantime it looks like I'll get to spend my shell and target allowance on strippers and booze.

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

First, you may try sleeping more upright like in a recliner if you wake up in the middle of the night in pain. For whatever reason, it always helped me and the surgeon even suggested it post surgery. It sounds like you could indeed have a cuff issue. Doesn't necessarily mean its torn but could be. It's amazing how eailsy it can tear and you not know it. I have had issues with bone spurs in the joint. It can cause unbearable pain and feel like the soft tissues are causing it. Unfortunately the only real way to find a lot of these issues is the MRI and most insurance companies won't pay for that until after you have had x-rays. I've even had some issues that were not completely found until they went in with a scope. I've had plenty of Cortisone shots in the shoulder. It helps for awhile but like many treatments is just a bandaid on the real issue. If you are looking for some over the counter pain relief, try 800mg of Ibuprofren. If you have a good stomach, you can take that twice per day. This was prescribed to me numerous times. Of course I'm not a Physician and its always best to check with yours instead of taking medical advice from some halfass trap shooter like myself. Just thought I'd relay some of my experiences and perhaps it will help in some way. Another way I have found relief is the common ice pack. I usually leave the ice on for about 15 minutes.

My experiences have proved the Sports Medicine Orthopedic surgeons to be the best. They are all about treating in ways that have you back to normal the fastest.

It's amazing how much pain the shoulder joint can cause and actually bring a grown man to tears. I feel for you. Good luck.

6. njwoodworker

njwoodworker Member

Ask an ortho / sports medicine doc about "a frozen shoulder".
    My left shoulder got so bad I was unable to lift a few sheets of paper.
    I shoot lefty and do everything else right handed.
    Exercise and therapy only made it aggravated. Deep cortisone shots provided minor relief.
    Went to the OR, went under for a bit, wife said I was in for about 5 - 10 minutes while Dr. forcibly stretched my arm from adhered tendons.
    There was no residual pain or exercise required.
    I went back to shooting the next week with no restrictions but took it easy for a few weeks anyway.
    Good luck and heal quickly!
    Dan

7. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

And for damn sure hold off on any steroid injections until this contamination mess is straightened out.

rm

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Rotator cuff damage? HMB

9. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

keep moving the motin is helpfull. In the shower with the hot warm streaming on the shoulder will help loosen it up. Just don't stop moving or it will get worse.

10. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

Seven Mary Three,

I experienced very similar pain after an auto accident. I had torn my rotator in three places. It has been about five years since that happened. I shoot up a storm now with no pain.

Good Luck,

Jim Bradbury

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.