1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I think I am raising my head when I pull t trigger

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by romie, May 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. romie

romie Active Member

I am so disappointed in myself after this weekend shoot.I think I am lifting my head seems to be on left targets.I am holding level shooting two eyed.My gun doesn't bother me.I have to cant my head down to shoot when I do I seem to hit really well....Frustrating,,,Help!!!!!! I wishI could get a coach gun fitter maybe he could solve it.I do have Rollands book.
    Monty

2. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Monte,

There is a good chance that you are either mounting your gun too low on your shoulder OR that you need a stock adjuster to lower the recoil pad to increase the drop at the heel dimension.

Head raising is a frequent malady when you have to lower your head and tilt your neck forward to place your cheek on the comb.

Reread the sections in the book describing the gun mount and the one discussing the drop at the heel dimension.

This of course, assumes the book you refer to is either "Stock Fitting Secrets" or "Stock Fitter's Bible" and not an older "guide".

This also assumes your head raising is not just a bad habbit born of wanting to see targets break sooner, due to having to cover targets because your gun shoots flat and you are not raising your head to avoid cheek slap.

Rollin

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I alwasy had that problem wiht K80 stocks.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Monty- I suspect your problem is lifting your head caused by your gun mount or possibly other things.

I will point out another possibility based on a few words in your post (two eyes--left hand birds). For right handed shooters, cross sighting usually occurs with left hand birds. If, just as you pull the trigger, the bird seems to disappear from your vision, you might be cross sighting. Unfortunately, it is possible to cross sight and lift your head at the same time.

Another cause of head lifting is difficult for me to clearly describe. It involves the incorrect way I sometimes look at the bird. There is a great difference between just looking at the bird and totally focusing on the bird. Phil Kiner has the ability to focus on one part of the bird such as the leading edge on an angle bird. He really does not see the whole bird clearly in his mind, he sees the leading edge. I often shoot at fuzzy orange things and Phil shoots at a specific part of the bird. Our scores are usually quite different. Many times the only way I can clearly see the bird is to lift my head. I can assure everyone that this does not work well.

Pat Ireland

5. romie

romie Active Member

Rolland I do have Stock fitting secrets I will read again.I have a Jones and I do mount it a little low I think.I also have a flat shooting MX8 it is the sporting clay gun.When I lower the heel it doesn't seem to change the way I tilt my head but I have had the gun shooting a little higher than it is now.I have to consciously think about putting my head on the stock every shot.I don't think I am cross eye dominent but I have thought that was possiable because I was missing a lot of quarting targets.I raised my eye hold to just undar the gun and pick up the target with my periferial vision and it seems to keep my head down.
    MONTY

6. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Gun is improperly fit.

Go to a reputable fitter.

Curt

7. paul e. stark

paul e. stark TS Member

stop doing that!

8. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Having a book and not knowing what to do with it..is a common problem.. While people spend thousands of dollars on a gun.. a few extra for a good coach who understands gun fit would be money well spent..

Without seeing first hand your real problem.. all one could do here is suggest more problems which you may or may not have.. The power of suggestion is strong in a competitive sport.. a simple doubt about chokes.. fit.. POI.. or a myrid of other things can cost more than a lost bird.. You must doubt NOTHING.. not even yourself.. and the attitude.. if I see it.. it's mine MUST prevail...

Nothing beats a good coach.. but be prepaired to do what needs to be done as far as gun fit goes.. that includes taking a rasp or sander to your stock..and or changing to a gun that fits your style better..

I'll leave you with a thought.. You're unbeatable.. Just 3 stock fittings and 10 lessons away.............................................and 100,000 shells.. Yep.. it fits.. you know what to do correctly..and its mass repatition..AND.. a little bit of luck.. All Good.. Mike

9. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Have someone watch you shoot. Most of the time after watching someone for a round or two it's easy to see if they are lifting their head off the stock.

10. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Romie....go to any Sporting Goods Store and buy som fishing line and some treble hooks. Tie three of those hooks to the fishing line and place them in your shorts. Now tie the fishing line to your ear!

Just one head lifting experience will teach you not to do that anymore!

11. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

A buddy of mine is doing this same thing. He did switch from his Silver Sietz to a Krieghoff and it fixed the problem during a shoot. The K had a higher comb. But, given that not everyone takes another gun to the shoot, some of us had fashioned two 5/0 fish hooks tied together with about 2.5 feet of fishing line. One hook in the ear, one in the posterior, this should keep your head down!

12. romie

romie Active Member

The fish hook sounds cheaper than the Sietz or Krieghoff. Spider wire or will just regular mono work. Monty

13. RAScott

RAScott Member

When practicing,and competing after you break the target pick a piece and follow it to the ground you will stay on the gun longer. It is a good excersise and it helps. And make sure your gun can be mounted eyes closed and still have the bead lined up. Bob S

14. Prettywood

Prettywood Member

Hey Monte, I'm gonna chime in on the "Fish Hook" exercise! On one of our many gorgeous February mornings here in NE Ohio, I was shooting skeet at a club I hadn't been to before. Knew one guy, the rest were strangers soon to become friends one and all! I was clean through station #4, my turn on #5, hit high house and missed low. All of a sudden here comes a roaring voice screaming, "gonna get you the "fish hook"!!! Goes on to say he noticed me doing it a couple of times. Finished the round, and in the clubhouse I asked my buddy, what the hell is the "Fish Hook"? I was informed of the string, ear, scrotum, and your choice of "Eagle Claw" hooks! I'm dead serious when I say that since that day, I walk to each station, whether it's skeet,sporting clays,5stand or trap, I silently whisper to myself, "Fish Hook"! It flat out has my face where it belongs, helped immensely w/ follow thru, timing, etc. In closing I'd like to thanks Bob S. I now have to follow a piece of broken target to the ground! Mr. S. that is a good one, I'm gonna try that too! I usually don't leave any pieces though---OK I'm done!! Tim

15. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

go to a release

16. romie

romie Active Member

I think Rolland and STOCK FITTING SECRETS and Pat helped me figure it out.I had my gun worked on and when the guy put the stock back on the heel was a little higher than I had originally set it.In a rush I left it and shot it Ok the more I shot the more I had to concentrate on keeping my head down.I have lowered my heel about 1/2 inch and shot a decent round.It still doesn't kick so I am thinking about lowering the heel a little more.I was having to force my head down earlier.

Thanks for the advise
    Monty

17. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Could it possibly be that you lift your head because of the recoil and/or you want to see the target break? It's so important that the gun fits you and that you're not being hit in the face when you pull the trigger. Even if your thumb hits the botton part of the frame on your glassses there's something wrong. The shells you shoot may make a difference also. So many reasons, so little time. BT-100dc

18. biff

biff Active Member

I think Neal is on to something, he dominates the matches with his light loads! If you go to the Ky State Shoot, look up Pete McCall and get a couple hours of instruction from him, he'll point you in the right direction! Biff

19. th445

th445 TS Member

Try putting a little weight on the front foot. It caused me to lean into the gun more and cured my head lifting. Try it its a cheap fix if it works for you, it did for me.

20. Mismost

Mismost TS Member

If you know you're doing it and can't stop, then there must be a reason why! Since you said it happens most on left hand targets AND you have to cant your head DOWN to the stock...so now the left eye is higher than the right eye, it sees the target better (but your brain knows that's the wrong eye)so you lift your head...you HAVE To to see the target.

Get you head straight, eyes level,(and maybe raise your comb too)so you can see what you are shooting at...I think it is a vision issue caused by poor gun fit

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.