1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I suggest ATA President serve 4-5 years

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Aug 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I suggest longer term for ATA president and he be elected by the members of the ATA of record.

He would have to campaign his ideas of what needs to be done with the organization re: improvements, Satellite Grands, Grand American, membership retention, getting new members, getting more cooperation from Mfgrs and Suppliers.

The president can be re-elected until membership feels he has served his purpose, He would have control over the executive committee and would have vetoe powers.

One year is not enough time for a President to do a good job for the Amateur Trapshooting Assn.

Name a successful company that changes President every year?

Membership should vote on this action to extend the elected President to a 4-5 year presidency w/ no term limits.

We the ATA need leadership in a positive direction as one year is not enough time for the organization.

Ask not what the ATA can do for me, But what can a new President elected by the members can do for us.

And executive members are elected to the board for the same term as the president is elected for. This way members can elect officials that are doing a good job and replace those that are not, and no term limits for them.

They would have to campaign for their positions just like the President, this does away with the good ole boys club.

Shooters and Gun Club Owners have a voice, there would be continuity of the East Coast, West Coast, North East and South East.

This will take one year to get implemented, with ballots mailed out with next years average cards. That way postage expense stays the same w/only printing costs involved.

Each state at their zone shoots have election voting for various offices which would mean each state would have 4 candidates elected from their respective zone, each zone would have numerous candidates that are interested in running for executive committee and president. The secretary and treasurer would also be elected positions and serve 1/2 of each presidents term so their is an overlap.

The ATA staff serves at the discretion of the president and removed or kept by a vote of the executive board and are retained at their discretion.

I know this is a lot to cover but it is one that is long overdue.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I don't think people want to serve that long. I would not.

3. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

And just how much is the annual salary for this new type of president? If you think that your going to elect anyone worthy of running the association for free with a comittment for four years for free, pppllllleeeeeaaasssee. Then what will annual members think of new increase in yearly dues. Or are we going to increase daily fees significantly?

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

They already actually serve that long. A member of the EC becomes President during his fifth year. All members of the EC have equal authority. The President cannot do anything more than any other member of the EC.

Pat Ireland

5. badminton

badminton Member

Right now their are no term limits. They serve as long as we keep voting them in as delegates. If you want to get them out you vote someone else in as your delegate. I still believe there should be term limits for all elected officails, whether it be national, state, local government or activity orginizations. I don't care who you are you stay too long you get corrupt.

Kelly

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Our paid position guy should be compensated on a goal attained program basis, not some arbitrary salary agreed to alone. It would then become a goal improving job instead of a titled position for X years with a guarantee? Paid accordingly for deeds done and not who happens to be most popular? Who would apply for such a job? :) Hap

7. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

A former dean at Yale resigned that high post to become a Commissioner of Major League Baseball. Many, including the Dean, thought that a step up.

If we could convince President Obama to switch from the White House to the ATA, I for one would be willing to make that sacrifice for the good of the country.

I am confident that the ATA would eventually recover.

Lou

8. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

Lou,

I can see it now. Better shooters will have to give targets to worse shooters and we will have the same score, unless you are one of the elite (Peeeeloseri, Kennedy, Kerry). They would break 101 out of 100 and try to get you to like it. Shootoffs would be based on nebulius criteria such as bad childhood or ugly gun to qualify.

Charlie

9. Bushmaster1313

Charlie:

Yes, but the country would be saved.

Moreover, it would be fitting to have Mr. Obama (we must be respectful) associated with something where everyone would know he really is an amateur.

10. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

"Better shooters will have to give targets to worse shooters and we will have the same score..."

Now I know why I dislike leagues with handicapped scoring so much - they're liberal!

Ed

11. Dr.Longshot

Pat Ireland if they had equal authority, How did it become change of Friday to Saturday for the Grand American Handicap, who bitched for the change and how many bitched for the change to happen? Actually how was this decided?

Why did not the membership have a vote on this move?

How would it be decided to have Friday as the last day of Grand Week?

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

12. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Well, have you tried asking them? or is this just your usual general topic bitch about the ATA?

13. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

With Obama as president we can cancel the Grand and he will tell us who the winners are going to be. I bet he could decide winners without the expense of shootoffs. Just imagine John Kerry as CTC, Nancy Pelosi is GAH Champ, and Obama will be HOA and HAA. Wait a minute, these "guys" can't win, they hate guns . Legends in their own minds.

14. Bushmaster1313

I bet that a very large proportion of the annual expenditure for targets goes to targets broken by shooters who have retired from the labor force after a productive working life and who suffer from various diseases (such as aging) which will cause their eventual demise.

Mr Obama could set up end of shooting counseling/relocation/reeducation centers where these once younger shooters could be given the chance to seriously reflect, in an appropriate setting, on whether they really wanted to make their loved ones see them break so many targets knowing in the hearts that the odds are very high that they are going to die eventually whether or not they break those targets, and those same targets could be broken by a younger and healthier shooter if only the older shooters were not breaking more than their fair share

15. Dr.Longshot

I would like to see Gary Sherrod serve 5 years as president.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

16. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I've often said that the president should serve no less than two years. It's tough to accomplish many goals in one year when it takes a meeting of the heads of the five families, the money man, the lawyer and the recording secretary to arrive at any decision.

I can't remember this president's name from eight or ten years ago, but we communicated quite often during the year before he was scheduled to take office. He had a list of things he wanted to accomplish during his presidency and sent me that list. I thought every idea was a good one but alas, only three of the dozen or so came to be. As he told me, it took so long to get anything done that he just ran out of time.

This will not be popular with the current corps of vice-presidents, but I've never understood this "good old boys" system of becoming a delegate so you can spend a ton of your own money waiting your turn to become a vice-president and spend more of your own money so that when the rotation brings you to the president's chair, you can get a stipend toward a gun you could probably have owned two or three of if you'd never become a delegate in the first place. And don't give that "love of the sport" stuff - many of our presidents have had egos bigger than all outdoors and the motivator behind their quest for the presidency was obvious.

Instead, every state shoot should hold an election every two years where every ATA member who wants to votes (in person or with an "absentee ballot") to determine that state's nominee for president. Those nominees could be thinned out through elections at the Zone shoots. Then at the Grand, the five remaining nominees would be voted upon by all ATA members (again in person or by mail prior to the Grand) to see who will be the president for the next two years and the nominees garnering the second-most through fifth-most votes become vice-presidents for that term. That's assuming, of course, that we think we still really need four vice-presidents (sounds awfully top-heavy if there's no more GOB system in effect). Divide the stipend money among the president and vice-presidents with the president receiving 40% and the VPs sharing 60%. Call it pay and be done with the secrecy.

But I'm sure others will hold differing opinions...

Ed

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

Ed- The members of the EC who are in the best position to get something new accomplished are the second, third and fourth year members. They actually carry more influence than the President who will be gone in a year. The AT is under the regulation of a five man committee. The only additional authority the President has is to call the meeting to order.

Pat Ireland

18. Milkbone

Milkbone TS Member

It wouldn't be fair to Perazzi for the ATA President to serve a long term. It's the ATA's duty to keep the Italian economy humming.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.