1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I sent this message to ebay

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mallardfilmore, Aug 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mallardfilmore

mallardfilmore TS Member

I sent this message to ebay regarding their new and certainly "civic minded" action in further restricting the sale of gun related items on their site. It'd be nice if we could get about 10,000 people to send more messages asking these kinds of questions and see what their response is. Sorry that it is a bit long but I copied the message from their announcement center.

I recently read the announcement regarding ebay further restricting firearms and related products on this site as copied below the end of this post.
    ebay is suddenly so civic minded as to single out and restrict a particular group from participating in buying/selling their related products, where no illegal products were listed then I wonder if they will do the same thing for other products?
    How about the sexually related products that may promote deviant sexual behavior or that could be used to take advantage of, rape or kill others such as children or those who are unable to protect themselves. Last I looked there were some 54,000 products listed in that category. What if the BTK killer bought any of these or other items off ebay and used them in the commission of his crimes? Can we count on the immediate action of ebay to correct this problem?
    How about car or motorcycle parts that would allow someone to assemble a car that was not street legal? What if the assembled vehicle is used to access the streets and ends up killing or injuring those not involved? What if off road parts are used to build a non-street legal vehicle that gets driven on the roadway and causes a wreck?
    Since it is a known fact that more deaths are attributed to automobiles in the country every year that firearms, when can we expect some of the same action to right these wrongs?

COPIED FROM THE ANNOUNCEMENT CENTER
    Hello everyone…In mid-August, we will be updating our Firearms, Weapons and Knives Policy to place more restrictions around gun-related items. Once these changes take effect, we will prohibit listings of any firearm part that is required for the firing of a gun. This includes items like bullet tips, brass casings and shells, barrels, slides, cylinders, magazines, firing pins, trigger assemblies, etc. Please read the Firearms, Weapons and Knives Policy for more details on our current policy.
    As you may know, eBay does not allow the listing of any items which are regulated by individual states or the federal government; however, there are still a large number of firearm-related parts that are legal and are widely available in retail stores. These items have also historically been allowed on eBay.

After learning that some items purchased on eBay may have been used in the tragedy at Virginia Tech in April 2007, we felt that revisiting our policies was not only necessary, but the right thing to do. After much consideration, the Trust & Safety policy team – along with our executive leaders at eBay Inc. – have made the decision to further restrict more of these items than federal and state regulations require.

This new update continues to encourage safety among our community members and brings our policies in the U.S. and Canada in closer alignment with our existing policies in other markets around the globe.

Sincerely,

Matt Halprin
    Vice President, Trust & Safety

2. mallardfilmore

mallardfilmore TS Member

As of this morning, one jerk had gotten on there and posted a single word in 10 separate posts that caused the thread to stop as that is the max number of posts. It said you can't compare these because they are apples and oranges. Typical kool aid drinker responses by refusing to discuss it. Hoosier Daddy, I'm curious what email address you sent your message to. I tried to find a corporate address but came up with nothing.

3. AdamsRibs

AdamsRibs TS Member

MallardFilmore,
    email to rswebhelp@ebay.com
    snail mail to;

Ebay, Inc.
    2145 Hamilton Ave.
    San Jose, Calif.
    Attn: Matt Halprin

Thanks to CHS for the snailmail address.

AdamsRibs

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

These are the same people that allow "card readers" to be sold unrestricted. You know, those things your waiter uses to steal your credit card info while he uses your card to pay for your meal? Either him or someone else in the restaurant can do that in a few seconds.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=magnetic+card+readers&category0=

5. mallardfilmore

mallardfilmore TS Member

Thanks AdamsRibs, I'll be sure to copy this and send it to them. Like they'll care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.