1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I seem to be in a rut....

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by starship, Nov 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starship

starship TS Member

Been at this fine game about 4 months now. I seem to have gotten into a bit of a rut. I shoot the same score (22 or 23) from the 16yd line to the 20 yd line.

I have shot some 25's (both 16 and 20 yds), and even a couple of 50's but generally I'm in the 22 or 23 range. Best so far is 63 straight ending score of 97/100 (from the 16).

The majoriy of my misses are from station 1 and 2 (with most from station 2). They seem to be on the quartering shots. Not the apparent straight-aways and not the hard lefts, but the shot that falls in the middle of these extremes.

I'm also pretty sure I have discovered the most aggravating thing about trap shooting.....missing the very first clay when starting at station 1. ARGHHHH!!!

2. oletymer

oletymer Member

Wait till you've been at it for 50 years and you get in a rut. I'm in one now and laying off for a while seems to cure it for me. My old brain seems to forget bad habits quickly.

3. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Loose screw in that 6 inches between your ears. Keep your mind on the task at hand. Use the force Starship.

Jim

4. gotbass

gotbass Member

I think being at it for 4 months and having shot some 25s and 50s that you are not a new shooter but a troll. Happy Thanksgiving.

5. gotbass

gotbass Member

I think being at it for 4 months and having shot some 25s and 50s that you are not a new shooter but a troll. Happy Thanksgiving.

6. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

starship, I don't know how many target you have shot in those 4mo.,but I think as you continue to shoot, you'll get things figured out.

You seem to know what you are missing, now comes the why. That quartering angle can be a problem. Keep your head on the stock, focus on the leading edge of the target,and keep your gun moving. I don't know how fast you shoot, but I find that if I slow down just a tad on that target and make sure that I have shot it as an angle instead of a straight-away it helps. Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on things---CONFIDENCE----it'll come around. Good luck. Steve

7. country gentleman

country gentleman Member

Mr. Starship,
    Solving a rut problem is a process of elimination. 1.eye-dominance checked 2.Gun professionally fit 3.Gun is pattern tested on paper to check choke load marriage and POI. 4.eye exam for clarity Rx. If some of these things have not been addressed, good place to start. Otherwise easy to shoot good scores occasionally with these problems present. Yours in shooting, Todd Nelson

8. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

starship, I'll assume your gun is shooting straight from side to side.

Are you doing all your shooting at the same club?

Have you shot all your 25's on one particular trap or on different ones and at other clubs as well? Also are the 25's being shot under a variety of conditions (ie, sunny, cloudy, windy, etc)?

Try moving your hold point on the traphouse slightly to one side or the other as you may not be seeing the bird (ie blind spot) and panic on movement to it. Also if your holding high above the house, lower your hold point closer to top.

9. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

That's a rut? You have not been shooting long enough to be in a rut. Also your doing great already. Keep pulling the trigger, may the force be with you! Bill

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I think you started thinking, no more analyzing your misses. focus focus.

11. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

You have almost reached the level where it becomes interesting (and difficult). Jake

12. Andy Ott

Andy Ott Guest

Starship,Nows the time to get a lesson from a PRO.

13. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Starship......If you have shot some 25's and 50's, whats the problem? Just do what you did when you shot those scores. You might have let some sort of mental block occur or something. Snap out of it and shoot some MORE 25's. You did it once or twice....you can do it again!

14. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

If you can confidently break one target, you have the capability to break a thousand. What's the problem. As someone mentioned above, FOCUS, FOCUS.

Big Jack

15. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

according to this webb you need a new very expensive trap gun.

16. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

This happens with most sports/activities, you start you start to do good you start thinking its easy then you start thinking about why your missing then you start THINKING, before long your THINKING while trying to shoot at the target. Wayne Gretzky was asked how he thinks about what where and how he places his shots, I dont I just skate and react, he said something to the affect that he will see a glow or light and just react. As stated if you have run 25s 50s Those I bet where all reactionary shots. Stop thinking about your misses, cause now you KNOW these mid shots are HARDER for you, so shall it be. When ever I fall off, the best Advice I got. After you say pull see the target then say out loud I SEE YOU Then take your shot. Another little tip that our better shooter gave me. Try a low mount and shoot a round. Some people are shocked at how well they do. His rational on this is your eyes are locked in on the target for a tad longer as you mount the gun. You eyes can and will decide you

17. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

I forgot about the new and expensive gun. I am sure that will turn you into a AAA 27 AA in no time. Jake

18. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

Don't sweat it. This "rut" thing will pass shortly. It is probably due to all the doe urine in the air this time of year. Those damn archery hunters hang the stuff everywhere. You can't swing a cat in this part of SW PA without bumping into one of those doe urine bottles hanging on a tree limb. Try not to think about it and get your mind on something else. A food plot or some way to hide your antlers for the next two weeks, or kicking the crap out of that smaller buck, or,

What?.............. Oh, sorry different kinda rut huh?

AJ100

19. starship

starship TS Member

Jim 101 --- DW thinks first sentence is the best answer so far.

Gotbass --- Shot skeet for about a year, then sporting clays for a couple of years. Had to lay off about a year and half due to nerve issue in my neck. Neck is better and tried shooting agian about 4 months ago. Got caught up in trap and really enjoy it. Sucked with my clays gun but got trap gun 3 mo ago. Actually makes me feel good that you think I shoot well enough to be a troll. Thanks for vote of confidence.

AAtrap -- I shoot twice a week, 4 to 6 rounds each time (200 to 300 shells a week).

CountryGentleman -- 1, 3 and 4 taken care of. #2 under consideration. Thanks

Backwoods -- Shoot at two different clubs, similar backgrounds, don't remember the weather (oh yeah, I live in Oregon -- it was cloudy).

Maclelland and Big Jack (and others) -- Focus is most likely the issue. I just don't want it to be :)

Andy Ott -- Professional lesson is under consideration if I can find someone in the local area. Will ask around the club.

About that new trap gun --- who's going to call my wife and explain that particular solution??? While it's not an expensive gun I've only had the one I'm currently shooting 3 months.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to share your thoughts.
    Chuck

20. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

I was recently in a really bad rut, I tried just about everything I could think of and nothing would work. I finally decided to take a shooting clinic with Ken Darroch. His new hold points and foot positions instantly took me out of the rut and now I am shooting better than ever. Lessons from a pro is definately the way to go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

i am in a shooting rut