1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I screwed up CB2100-12SO clone used in STS Hull

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tatersaled, May 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tatersaled

tatersaled TS Member

I load 19.5 Promo with the 12SO wads and Win primers in the STS hulls. Its about 9,800 psi. Around 1290 FPS
    Erwin

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Sounds like a very safe load to me. HMB

3. perga1

perga1 Active Member

I use that recipe regularly.

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

shoot em up

5. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

The 12S0 in the STS is superb!

Look up Alliant red dot listings 1Oz and see what they say for that wad

Promo is a weight for weight replacemetn for red dot bit the density (read bushing size ) is different.

regards

6. abiezer

abiezer Guest

Don't mean to sound like a sourpuss,
    but how do you load 3 boxes with a 12S0 instead of a CB-1100,
    the wads don't even vaguely resemble one another..
    I'm more afraid of your attention to detail at the bench, than the load itself.
    And with 40yrs at the bench..
    can you provide details as to how this happened?
    was the wife nagging you while reloading?

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Many reloaders fail to recognize that tapered wads belong in tapered cases and straight walled wads belong in straight walled cases for the best reloads.

J.P.- your mistaken loads appear to be safe but you will not shoot them well. When you question your loads, your scores suffer. I suggest you cut open the shells. The pain you feel when doing this will help prevent future mistakes and that could be more valuable than the cost of 75 once fired hulls. And, you do not need to explain your mistake to me. Sometimes things just happen.

Pat Ireland

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I wouldn't ask that question here. Call or email Alliant and see what they say. Looking at some of the available data, there is no data for your exact components. My "guess" would be that it's near the upper end of the pressure limits, but I don't have anything reliable to support it. There were some loads listed in earlier manuals, but they were with Remington 209P Primers. I would not try to guess what effect the Fiocchi primer will have on the pressure.

Kevin Lewis at Downrange may have a ballpark idea as well. He has done a good amount of testing and might have tested something similar. If you ask him nicely, he might be willing to share his opinion of the load.

There is a lot of loading data thrown around on this site and lots of pressure numbers and other parameters. Where did it come from and who compiled it? Unless you have that answer, don't use the data. If it's relaible, but it doesn't match your components, don't use it unless you know what those substitutions will do. That would mean pressure testing a number of samples to verify the quess.

That said, shooting 3 boxes of higher pressure loads, within established limits, would probably not damage you or your gun. Shooting a few thousand or more of those loads would not be a good idea, unless you have a better idea of what the pressure is. That means having some tested or finding some reliable data. Since you probably don't intend to load any more of these, it's a moot point.

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I dis-agree with above posts, I use the 12SO wads in Remington STS cases all the time w/19.5 grains Promo and 1 oz 7 1/2s good load, and works on the targets.

Don't be mis-led, combination is listed.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The results are in, shoot them and enjoy them. HMB

11. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

If you do not / will not have faith in them, just shoot 'em up for practice. No worries!

AndyH ;-)

12. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I use the Claybuster 12SO clones all the time in AA and STS hulls and my scores don't suffer! They smoke targets better than the AA gray and Rem Tgt 12s with my 7/8 oz loads in Sporting. Targets are a hell of a lot harder than Trap targets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.