1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I SAW A COUPLE ITEMS FROM YEARS PAST TONIGHT!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, Feb 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    I was out at friends house tonight, he showed me his reloading bench and guns. back in the 60's he use to reload federal papers. he had some device that you plugged in to melt the wax so the shell would not pop open. i heard about these but never saw one. another thing he had was an old seehass? recoil pad. don't know if i spelt that correct. neat looking pad. had inserts in the pad to dappen recoil. he said you could take out a certain number of the slits if you wanted to.
    steve balistreri

2. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

senior smoke:

I still use the Jack Seehase pads on the info for them you can shoot a high powered rifle by inserting more of the rubber inserts in the slits and it will cut down the recoil more.

They used to come ina a lot of colors I got a black and red one.

Would like to buy a couple more if any was to be found.

Foghorn220

3. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

When I first started reloading (very early 70's) my Dad had an old reloader which used cardboard wads, metal collars etc and we had one of those hull "warmers". Those reloads kicked like a mule! It wasn't long before I got a Versamec (I think) in 12 and 20. Still have it. Man, those were the days, somehow I'm glad we don't have to do it that way anymore!

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

4. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

I still have one of the hull heating irons. It was mandatory to run the hull crimp over it to redistribute the wax after several firings. Ben

5. TommyTEREX

TommyTEREX Member

I made up a rack with pegs, that held 50 at a time. Just put them in the oven, on low for about a half hour, worked fairly well, and as a plus you got to smell those fired hulls throughout the house.

As aside note, I still have a Lyman wad cutter punch, for making your own cusion wads out of dense cad board.

I also don`t miss those days.

Tom R.

6. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

senior smoke:

Ok took a couple of pictures of my Jack Seehase pads and here they are most people wouldn't know how they worked but they work sort of like a griggs pad and also you can adjust the strenght of fire power you are going to use by inserting more strips in the pad slots.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v294/foghorn220/products/?action=view&current=pads001.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Foghorn

7. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I put my Federal Papers on a sheet of aluminum foil on a cookie sheet and heat them to 200 degrees for about 15 minutes, love that smell, the aluminum foil catches the melted wax, and the heat dries the hulls out, the paper draws dampness in the basement, the heat does wanders. my .02 cents

Dr.longshot
    Gary Bryant

8. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

I tried that cookie sheet routine once with just the pilot lite. Forgot, & left them in the oven. Wife came home and turned the oven on to pre-heat for supper. OUCH! I no longer have any rights to the kitchen equiptment.

Big Jack

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.