1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I received a ticket, was told no excuses!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Dec 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    The other day when I was off on Thanksgiving vacation, I took a drive to a gun store. On the way home, a Sheriff's car drove extremely fast along side me on my drivers side, than slip back behind me and put on his lights and I pulled over.

I kept my hands on the sterring wheel as the officer came to the passenger side of my car and asked to see my drivers license. I gave it to him and he went back to his vehicle for about 5 minutes and then came back and said they are cracking down on people not wearing their seat belts.

I explained to him that the normal seat belt does not fit me and I have an extention that no longer works as it would not click and won't stay fastened. I also showed him the order slip I had from the dealership showing that I ordered a new extention for me seatbelt the day before, and it would be the next day before the dealership would receive it and call me to pick it up.

The officer told me "no excuses" and I should have had the seat belt wraped around the extention fasterner??? He gave me a $10.00 ticket and said have a good day. I was contemplating saying with all the rapes and murders in Milwaukee, he can now feel proud to tell his superior that he gave a seat belt violation to an old man. I kept my mouth shut as pictures of the Rodney king incident filled my mind.

I have always been told that usually there are no excuses, but what about common sense? Wrapping my seatbelt the way he said I should, I don't think it would work correctly if needed? It's only $10.00, lets just say I put the money in the kiddy for them.

What do you guys think? Is the law the law, or are they suppose to use common sense? Also, should it be only my business if I wear a seatbelt or not?
    Steve Balistreri

2. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Steve,

Law enforcement and common sense rarely have gone together. Thank goodness that the federal government and state government pushed for and mandated the wearing of seat belts. I don't know how all of us survived operating our vehichles all those years prior to them.

Its an obvious money maker for the state, and another type of probable cause for a cop to pull you over. If it were truly about safety, seatbelts would be reqired to be worn in emergency vehicles and installed in and worn on school buses. Just our government at work for us taxpayers. Seat belt violations are typically non-moving violations and non-pointable. About as cheap to pay it and go on. But there is one a-hole who you know not to vote for if he ever runs for Sheriff.

John

3. kolar1000

kolar1000 TS Member

The best thing to do in this kind of situation is take it to court. You do not need a lawyer for this. I know it is a hassle but I think you have a good chance of beating this. It`s not just the 10.00 but if some of these tickets are not challenged this will never stop.

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Click it or ticket pretty well covers it.

5. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I agree with John, the cops have become a source of revenue for a lot of cash strapped cities, so they are nabbing everybody for everything

In Texas there are places that a seat belt ticket is a $250 fine and the court costs can be more than that

6. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

In Pa. they cannot pull you over for not wearing a seat belt. If thay pull you over for a light that is out and see that you do not have a seatbelt on then they can tag you. Bulge.

7. Sam Ogle

Sam Ogle Member

Oh, for Lord's sake.......pay the ten bucks.
    Sam Ogle, Lincoln, NE

8. white rattler

white rattler Member

Are you not learning anything in school! Trevor Dawe.

9. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Pay the 10 bucks my a$$!!! Go to court and tell your story. If everyone that got a traffic ticket went to court with it, they would stop this crap. Get the cops to show up in court and they would not be any left on the streets for enforcdement. Grow a set of balls and fight back!!

GneJ

10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

And some idiot's still think it's a violation of their rights.
    We don't survive without them. And, when you fall asleep and roll and hit the tree, you'll thank us for cutting you down from the floor and lifting you out rather than prying you from between the car and the tree...

Pay it. Around here it's $100..

11. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Around a $150 a ticket here in Iowa.

Is there any provisions in the law to say you can get by without the seat belt?

12. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Usually I evaluate situations between principle & reality.

In this case, the principle is questionable, you had a clear violation from what the simple fact stands (regardless the reason). And the reality is in the amount of $10.

I'd say pay it. Or you are asking to bend the law to accommodate you.

Hope my explanation make you feel a little easier to accept the case. :)

13. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Here in Minnesota it's $25.00 plus surcharge and law library fees so a total of $121.00.

14. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Fight what? He broke the law. Frankly i'd be ashamed to say i fought a $10 ticket that i was clearly guilty of.

What you should fight is the reason you can't wear a conventional seatbelt.

15. geneleroy

geneleroy TS Member

Hasn't happened yet, but I expect it to sooner than later! My '78 Ford F-250(purchased used)doesn't have a shoulder harness, just seat belts which I use religiously. Never drive without the belt fastened. I expect to be stopped one day because they(cops)can't see the belt from their vantage point. I've checked the law in Ks and only a seat belt is required, not a shoulder strap!

16. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I would mail the court a letter and show it the parts order reciept and I would ask the judge to cancel the ticket, or he may want you to bring it into the Courthouse, I bet they will dismiss the ticket, here in Ohio it is a $50-60 ticket for no seat belt.

State Patrol here would not have issued you a ticket with the information you had.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

17. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

"State Patrol here would not have issued you a ticket with the information you had"

Dr.Cuckoo,

Now how in the hell do you know that for sure? I guess you are also on first name basis with all the Ohio State Cops too?

18. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Heck yes Matt, they must belong to the "my gun shoots higher than the pattern is wide club."

19. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

On lunch in the library. Read every response so far. A lot of you make sense.
    Steve

20. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

There is a term called Letter of the Law and Spirit of the Law. It is up to the individual officer. You got the letter of the law, but in this particular case I would have used the spirit or what you guys call it, common sense.

But the comment about rapist and murders is just acinine. Do you think that just because one officer gives you a ticket that no one is looking for these other suspects or investigating these crimes?

Bryan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.