1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I really don't comprehend what I've done,

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by RTC, Aug 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RTC

RTC TS Member

Is this guy in the "O" zone.

He drives 5 or 6 hundred miles to a shoot and spents god knows how much to participate and says I really don't comprehend what I've done, he said with a shrug.

Perhaps he will be writing a column for Trap and Field, Owning the "O" Zone or How To Be Numb From The Shoulders Up.

I know as probably many of you how much pressure I feel just breaking a 100 from the 16 yard line at just a weekly shoot.

Granted someone can have a red letter day but carrying a 73.00% average, I don't buy it.

Even the luck of the draw, you shoot all angles and I shoot all straight- aways, you break a 95 and I break 98.

If he was carrying say an 91.00% average or even a 88.00% average on a couple thousand targets I would have to say, its possible.

And who said sandbaggers only come from Kentucky. Well maybe he lives in Southern Ohio.

I'll wait and see but I'll bet there is more to this than meets the eye but if I'm wrong look out, he will surely be a contender.

RTC

2. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Ok, I'm Game, Please explain, why anyone who has a good day and WINS must be classified as a sandbagger. The man had probably the best day of his shooting career and could possibly never equal it again. Don't dim his spotlight! Let him enjoy his day in the sun and wish him well. Great shooting, I wish I had been there to witness the feat. What does that tell you, the one & only 100 straight of the program. That's pretty damn good in my book. Great shooting,
    Mr. Nick Galata!

Big Jack

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Broke a hundred in C some years back. Man did I get a ration of crap about it.

Sometimes everything works out. Also watched an incompetent skeet shooter break a 25. Trap threw all straightaways for him. Just a unique happenstance.

If that guy never gets another win, he still has this one bright moment.

Enjoy.

HM

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

It was his day, yours is still to come ... Make sure you are there when it does ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

A lot of guys just don't get it!!!!!!!!!! Beginners luck isn't just a wife's tale, its a reality. I've seen several guys come out to our range for the first time and run 24 birds and say "that's easier than I thought it would be" and then couldn't hit 15 the next round. I know that's not a 100 straight but if you read his post he did the right thing by concentrating on keeping his head down on the stock and shooting one at a time.

Jealousy always seems to rear its ugly head when someone other than that same person does good at something. Change your diaper and get over it man!!!

I for one would like to congratulate him on some real good shooting. Even if he never does it again he still has that one 100 under his belt and its one that really counts.

Bill

6. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

Look at the payouts - he entered the Lewis. No purse, no yardage, etc. Perhaps he entered the 25s or the 50s it is not possible to tell. But I bet not. He just started shooting and he hit the targets because no one was there to fill his head with BS about why he can't beat the big guys or why he has to miss. I guess he borrowed the right gun for his style. Good shooting I say, and enjoy your time in the sun.

7. PaShooter

PaShooter Member

If he was a true sandbagger, then why did he not play all the options and not just the lewis class??? Or even better , just the Jackpot purse? Payoff would have been much better than the top lewis score. It just happened to be his day.

Paul H
    Imperial, PA

8. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Who cares if he is a sandbagger--

just shoot your best

Gene

9. jimsw

jimsw Member

Say what you will, he is still the only shooter at any yardage to break 100 straight. Where was everyone else??

10. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

I think we should make arrangement to have a bucket of cold water delivered to all the nay sayers. I said it on another thread and I will say it again. Congratulations Mr. Galata. They cannot take away your accomplishment, so be really proud of it. - Jim

11. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

Give the conspiracy theories a rest for crying out loud. If the guy was a sandbagger he would have played the options.

Good shooting Nick - congratulations.

hubcap

12. Stinger

Stinger TS Member

Too bad a thread like this even gets started,good shooting and I for one am glad it happened for him at the Grand. I don't hear any of the Big Boys crying about it.

13. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Well I agree with MarkDennis on why some of the week end shooters will pick their shoots because this sport is expensive enough anyway so why waste a lot of money at the small shoot's to win a stick man trophy when if you was to go to a big shoot and get some reconitizion from the way others said it looks like he didn't play any of the big money so I really think it was just his day also because I don't really think a beginner like him was as good as some of the pro's out there like Kay,Leo,Harlan,Phil,and others so just give Nick a break and say damn good shooting and im sure he is happy just with the A.T.A. ring and the honor of winning because it will be recorded in the books and money can't really buy things like that.

RTC

I was wondering who would be the first to make this kind of thread so you are the winner.

Fog

14. RTC

RTC TS Member

Folks

Notice that the Sandbagger comment was at the end, it was a late night thought and “it was a joke”.

The idea was to spawn thought. I like many of you read the newspaper article on another post.

First year shooter and borrowed a friends gun.

Here is an example, how many people or (of you) think you could go into say Jaqua’s, Hi-Grade, Texas Clays or any other gun dealer, pick a gun out of a rack and go out and break a 100 from just the 16 yard line.

And don’t be ashamed of it because I seriously doubt if very many of the All Americans could either and look at how many thousands of targets most of them have shot.

The point here is if you have shot sporting clays or skeet or in Calcuttas, protections, 3-2’s or any other moving target disciplines admit to it. It might go something like this: “I have been shooting for about five years but just this year joined the ATA and started shooting registered targets.”

Why make people that have shot two or three farms through the barrel of a gun and still haven’t broke a hundred in any trap discipline feel like they have wasted their time, let alone money.

Can anyone in good conscience say I don’t care what I break I just like hearing the gun go off? Yea, me too and I like the smell of just fired Federal Papers.

And, “Yes”, a 100 from any yard line is good shooting and over the years I have shaken many of hand and congratulated individuals for their effort.

Bottom Line, I simply don’t buy the first year shooter stuff. Breaking a 100 in Handicap while carrying a “D” average in singles, where credit should be given is a well thought out plan, myself I would like both the Ring and the MONEY.

RTC

15. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

The unfortunate part to all this is....it's all downhill for him now! In the future when his name and feats are brought into a conversation, it'll always have a negative connotation attached.

Curt - Delaware

16. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

i talked to leo harris and he said face it the guy just had talent. He played no money and never expected to win. This could have happened to anyone on the right day. Nice job Nick. Be proud.

17. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

If he offers a handcap clinic...I want to be his first student !!...Uncle Sam

18. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I'm sorry to read about this controversy at your GAH.

Trap handicap always was appealing to me. No classes, one winner, just a few ties. I always thought if I switched games to Trap, I would just do handicap. Get a yardage and go head-to-head against everbody else. Simple...it seemed.

I guess it's more complicated than that. Everything seems that way these days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.