1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I read Leo's Trapshooting USA Article

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Oct 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I read Leo

If Leo was the Tsar: I agree of moving the Grand to September, this has been suggested before, I agree with reducing Number of traps to 80, that cuts down on labor.

The possibility of the AIM Program to be held in the summer when school is out.

But Leo do you think the ATA should cut some events and shorten the Total Grand days of shooting. Speaking of Preliminary + Grand days.

The Grand American Hdcp used to be shot on Friday to allow 2 days of travel time, should this be re-instituted?

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I'm not for reducing the number of traps. Get the shooters on the line and get the event over. Reduce the time shooters are setting around boiling over. Not much difference between 120 traps working a short time and 80 traps working a long time. Besides that, the Grand has way too many workers. You can run a bank of four with 10 kids, easily. Someones sick? Pull from the practice traps, hire in additional workers as needed. The guy, Gary, doing the hiring at the Grand knows what is going on and does a great job.

3. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

The WRSC will be a footnote in the Illinois failed fiscal policies when the state goes belly-up.

The EC should set up a new venue search committee.

Curt

4. Dr.Longshot

40 traps equals approx 50 extra workers, approx $2062 at minimum wage plus some Illinois taxes and workers compensation, that is just for a 5.5 hr day and 5 days. Thats a lot of money in a poor economy, and Mike Hampton is not the best manager of finances. 320090T and that is not just my opinion

Gary

5. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Leo's thoughts: the prelim program has been bloated and could be reduced. I would enjoy a 200 targets per day program during prelim. I would not be in favor of reducing the 1000 target Grand week program.

6. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

No disagreement on Mr Hampton. What happens when you take the extra kids away and go to 80 traps? Sure you save some money there but logic would tell us the 80 traps would have to work longer to get through the day and the shooters would be setting around waiting to shoot rather than relaxing in their campers or motel rooms, or grabbing an early dinner.

7. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

LS you don't even shoot the program but you want to make changes to it. What a crock. Let's see you were a Insurance expert in another thread (about a mystery $50,000) now you are a financial wizard about running the Grand.

BS thread #4008.

Don

8. matttrapn

matttrapn Active Member

Grand week last year, Friday shoot-off went past midnight. What the heck here ol' Longshot, ya' want to hear about shoot-offs going on all through the night? Granted, a great deal of that had to do with the thunderstorm the day before, and events finishing the next day, but when does a big shoot not have to deal with at least one day of bad weather?

Plus, lets say you do come to the Grand next year????? Like many others, will stay in a hotel room somewhere between 30/60 minutes away from the WSRC,, those late night shoot-offs wont seem sooo much fun then, and next year you might be writing into the ol' TS.com, to open all the traps again...

However, all this talk will most likely be a moot-point, due to the fact you will never see Sparta, IL. in the first place.

If ya' dont vote, dont bitch if obama gets back in again.......

Matt Nicol

9. romie

romie Active Member

I am a big Leo fan but I do not agree with the idea of shortning the prelim days. I go to shoot and shop and I like the Idea of getting in 300 rounds per day. I do not go for the Grand week . I know there are several others like me that do the same.
    Monty

10. running bear

running bear Member

Each sooter can shoot as much or as little as he wants. Why change anything?

Buck

11. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

Dr. Longshot,

I have not had a chance to read Leo's article for myself. Did he suggest moving the AIM Nationals to July or is that something you dreamed up?

Last summer there were several threads complaining that the ATA had already effectively taken a large amount of AIM kids out of the Grand by putting the AIM Nationals the weekend in front of the Prelims.

I was at the Coach meeting prior to the AIM shoot and there were a lot of coaches very upset with that change. Opinions were voiced to Hampton and we were told to send an e-mail and let the powers that be know our concerns. "The concerns would be taken into consideration before dates would be set for 2013", said Hampton. By the end of Grand week the dates were already set for 2013. The kids would be shooting the same time-frame, a couple of days in front of the Pre-lims, just like in 2012. Lots of kids were not able to stay and shoot much of the Pre-lims or even Grand programs.

I'm not sure how many kids shoot both the AIM and SCTP programs, but having them travel to Sparta twice in July ( the SCTP Nationals are in July) and them come back in August for the Grand is a little extreme, in my opinion.

12. Dr.Longshot

Just read Leo's comments in Trap Shooting USA doesn't he deserve to speak on changes, I just happen to agree with him as I am not the only one.

And don't put words in my mouth by lying.

I think Leo wants more recognition for the AIM and SCTP shooters and their ATA target shooting venue.

Remember Leo supports these kids and wants the best for them.

Why must you guys want to throw me under the bus w/o reading his article.

Wish you guys were around here so I could pluck some of your money.

BigBad Bob,Gary Walkes,Mattrapin, you are all like Pres. Obama you talk and lie and cannot read articles before you.

What did Trapwife what did Karla say? I agree with her also so slam me some more.

Now you guys can see why a TRUE ALL AMERICAN does not post on here only wannabes like BIGDON 40009 and you have no respect.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

13. trapshooteraa27aa

trapshooteraa27aa Well-Known Member

Hard to respect a bumbling moron.

14. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Your first sentence was agreeing with Leo. Then your great addition. Maybe someday, I doubt it, you will learn to keep your opinions to yourself. You are your own worst enemy.

By the way what do I wantabee? I am very comfortable being whom I am.

Don

15. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

Longshot,

I did not put words in your mouth, you do that well enough on your own. I simply asked if moving the AIM Nationals was Leo's or your idea. That was all I wanted to know. And please, don't call me a liar.

16. trapwife

For the record...Leo would like to see the AIM kids competing at their own Grand, separate from the Grand American. Of course, any shooter, no matter what age, is welcome to participate in the Grand American. That is just one of the great things about trapshooting, EVERYONE can enter and be a contender at the biggest event of the sport. At every shoot we attend in all parts of the country, I INVITE shooters to come to the Grand. They don't have to come and shoot, just come and be a part of the atmosphere that is truly the Grand.
    Two years ago, when the AIM tournament was combined with the Grand program, the scoring/squadding problems became a nightmare. I was on the management team and saw this first hand. A separate program will help to solve these problems. Also, AIM's classification is different from ATA and their trophies are awarded on a different determination. So it is safe to say that AIM is a slightly different game than ATA trap. Any program that encourages youth shooting is a positive. We support youth shooting programs the year round, at many different places. These young shooters deserve to have a tournament where they can stand out and shine, not be over shadowed by the All Americans who come to the Grand.

17. Carl Chadwell

Carl Chadwell TS Member

Karla,

You had me at "For the record..." ;)

peace.

18. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

Thanks Karla. Scott

19. trapwife

My dad, George Herron, shot trap from the time he got out of high school until his passing in 2009. Trapshoots filled by childhood and are great memories of times with my dad. Dad was one of the best ambassadors for the sport. He was never a top flight shooter, just average, but completely enjoyed the fellowship. He made it a practice to always encourage other shooters to come to Missouri and shoot. Dad never forgot a name. I don't have his gift for names, but I am trying to carry on his habit of inviting shooters to shoot, at the MTA, at the Grand, anywhere. Alot of energy is being put into youth shooting and rightly so. But we can't overlook the older shooters. I encourage every shooter to bring a buddy to the club next time.Sometimes the only thing it takes get a new shooter going is an invitation.

20. pfofml

pfofml Member

I find no argument with moving the Grand to September. This later date has the potential of holdng the tournement during cooler weather. My question regards the local labor force. September finds both high school and college back in session. Remove the studends of both institutions from the local labor pool. Does remaining workforce have the potenial to meet the requirerments needed to work the Grand?
    Peter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.