1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I put my dog down today

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by omgb, Jan 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Well, I finally had to do it. 16 years and three weeks ago my dog came into this family and today, he slipped out quietly and with dignity. I had the vet come out to the house and she gave him a heavy sedative. With all f th family around, and with his head in my arms, she gave him the Euthinol. He gently and quietly slipped away. I feel stunned. Next to my wife this was my best friend. I will receive his ashes on Wed next. I'm keeping him in a tin urn on my mantle place. Rest In Peace Ryky, you were an outstanding example of faithful friendship. I only hope I am as decent to others as you were to me.

Thank you all for your suggestions and help.

2. Urbans

Urbans Member

Peace be with you.

3. Coyote 270

Coyote 270 Member

A DOG'S PRAYER
    By Beth Norman Harris

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footsteps falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside, for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements. And I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth. Though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land, for you are my god and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the great Master see fit to deprive me of my health, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest--and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

4. Stickdp

Stickdp Member

Dogs are family members it hurts to lose them.

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

sorry to hear that-

Gene

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I can tell just by the fact that you care so much, you and your dog were great friends. Piece be with Ryky...as for you, you're too good of a bud to live without a dog friend...find a pup, and create a new experience.

7. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

My deepest sympathies...I have felt the same loss and know just how saddening it is,..please keep in mind during your time of grief that your pup has many brothers and sisters at shelters with their own endless supply of love and friendship in dire need of a family...that is something he will smile down on you from above

8. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

You know, I never laid a hand to that dog. Never had to. He was that good.

9. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

May god bless and keep ya'll safe. I lost my girl(nell - lab) on Dec 14th.
    I am truly sorry for your loss
    D.P.Reynolds

10. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

We have had our lab (Gertie) for three years now. They are wonderful companions. I sure hope she makes it another 13 years.

Sorry for your loss,

Jim Skeel

11. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

My second Boykin is 11 now and I know that day will come in the next couple years.

I'll never forget putting the first down..... Seems like yesterday.

Peace be with you and your family, it is a sad day.

SW

12. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

Read that prayer well....It brought tears to my eyes when I put my 14 yr old lab down. I read it over and over and then brought a new puppy into my life. Life is good again!

13. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I share your pain. For those of us who have shared that special friendship there are few things that leave such emptiness. Do your grieving and go on. Your friend will wait for you.

14. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Sorry for your loss. Here is one I like that was poster here in the past.. Ray

Rainbow Bridge Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

15. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

We have a hand embroidered pillow that a good friend made that reads ' My goal in life is to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am'.

It was a favorite carry around piece of my old GSP Rusty. I had to part ways with Rusty a couple of years ago in the manner you and RYKY parted. Devistating isn't the word for it but when I see the pillow I think of that special friendship and the meaning of those words on the pillow.

Sorry for your loss.

16. TC

TC TS Member

Sorry for your loss, Tony

17. patrick smith

patrick smith TS Member

Sorry about your loss,it is the hardest thing we have to do and i know it can be
    difficult but a new pup will make it easier to cope.

18. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

My thoughts are with you. Remember the good times! God gives us good dogs as gift!

19. shadow

shadow Active Member

So sorry for your loss !

I am getting along in years now and have recently been given a Chessie/lab mix puppy. I kinda figure this will be the last dog I will have the honor of owning. The pup is sleeping quietly by my feet as I write this and has already captured my heart.

Pleae get another as soon as possible, as you need a best friend !

20. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

I have had to say goodbye to many of my animal friends over the years. It gets sadder and harder each time for me. I remember each and every one of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.