1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I never see anyone shoot a Model 12

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bushmaster1313, Aug 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

I go to two different trap ranges and I have never seen anyone shoot a Model 12.

Nevertheless, a nice trap model goes for $900 and up.

I don't get it. It seems that the market for buying Model 12's trap guns is much bigger than the population who shoots them regularly.

2. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

I still see quite a few in Games. Not so many in registered anymore.

Ajax

3. Bushmaster1313

But the market for Model 12 trap guns seems to be robust

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I see them routinely at my club, both for practice and registered. They're not in the majority by far, but they're not rare, either.

5. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

The market is pretty much robust on all Winchester guns, they don't make them anymore. A lot of them go into collection and the kids will sell them later.LOL

Ajax

6. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

If you visit a games shoot in Kentucky you will see them, especially when you get into the last few shooters in a long range game.

Ed Ward

7. dolphin77

dolphin77 Member

They are out of style...seriously, thats the main reason. The in style is expensive break open guns. WC

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Pump guns have become mostly obsolete. If they were still the gun to shoot, everyone would be shooting them. Even in the duck blind, everyone I know uses auto's. Change of times.

9. sasquach

sasquach Member

If they cost 10 grand you'd see a lot of them.

10. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

I think a good analogy is driving a 57 Chevy. Its a classic but there are much better cars available?

11. Bushmaster1313

People who have 57 Chevys drive them on sunny weekends in the Summer.

There are lots of Model 12's in safes and closets, but not at my two clubs.

12. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Bush---Its like owning a 57 chevy---U had to live in those days to appreciate them---The mod 12 is a legend---Mine is a safe queen and I bring it out once in a while just to reministe---Took it out last wk and shot it as good as my K-Guns---SJB---

13. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

There are always four to five Mod 12's at our club one of which is mine.

14. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

If you have never seen someone shoot a model 12, that tells me you are probably rather new to shooting. If you shot in the 50's and 60's that was the gun of choice. Most of the shooters today that purchase guns in the $5,000 to $20,000 range would most likely shoot better with a model 12 than the over priced guns on the market today. Like Vic Reinders once told me, "when you go to a shoot, never worry about the guy with the shinny new gun, with the gold inlays, with the bright bluing. He said most have not had the gun long enough to really know how to shoot it. He said the guy who has a worn worn model 12, 31, with the bluing off, possibly through in a little rust, those are the guns you need to watch out for. Most of them know how they shoot. You just might see them in the shoot off". The problem with this country and trap shooting today is that men are becoming like wimps. Man up, and shoot a model 12 or 31, or 870. Purchase a recoil reducer and break more targets, enough said.
    Steve Balistreri

15. Bushmaster1313

I would still be shooting my 31 TC if I was not a southpaw, and I probably would have a Model 12 as well.

16. al391

al391 TS Member

I shot a 1931 model 12 at the Grand. I have 2 model 12's and a model 31 (built in 1932). I also still own my first car 1965 Mercury Comet Cyclone, OH and I've still got the same old wife (did I really say that?)
    My opinion, the model 31 is a nicer feeling slide. I've got a number of friends that have purchased Model 12's in the past few years. Quite a few have Anton built roll over stocks.....You don't see furniture like that anymore, in my opinion for $1000.00 your buying beautiful wood, the gun is free.

17. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Ross:
    I have owned a Remington 31 B grade as well as a 31TC. I shot back to back 96's in handicap with them. When I purchased them, Vic Reinders gave me an extra action bar. He said if anything breaks, will probably be the action bar. Slick pumping gun.
    Steve

18. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I shot this gun in 97' till I started to flinch. It is now a Safe queen. 1976 bicentennial 1 of 5.
    [​IMG]

19. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Many of the great old classics are being stored in collections. When mechanical things are out of popularity, the supply of cheap maintenance parts and skilled repairmen dries up. Like the above poster mentioned, you do not use classics like more plentiful modern equipment. I love the old vintage Norton motorcycles, but that is not the bike I commute to work or ride cross country on.

20. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

There is no such thing as a bad Model 12, just some that are better than others ... I have some and shoot them from time to time, can't come up with a good reason why I ever quit shooting them ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.