1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I need some help on roll Crimping

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tarheel, Jan 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tarheel

tarheel Member

I would really like to talk to some one who is into this?I need help on the rolling process its self!

Could some one give me some pointers,Please?

You may email or PM me if you Like.

Don Sutton Tarheel

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Ballistic Products has a roll crimping tool on sale right now.

Ed

3. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

With respect to Ed, BPI's roll-crimper sucks.

Precision Reloading's is far better, being a somewhat improved version of Lyman's original 4-bead head.

BPI's video IS pretty good.

Roll-crimping is a pretty simple 'feel' operation you'll 'get' in a few screwed-up shells - maybe a dozen if you are an average learner.

A drill press is mighty helpful, but is not required.

a) do batch-work, meaning get all the shells you're going to load filled up and in a loading block.

b) people get unnecessarily worked up abt not having a shell vice, etc, but the torque is not that great, and a pair of channel-locks with the jaws padded with duct tape is pure sovereign. Or a loading block with a bit of grabby rubber, like carpet pad, in the bottom. (my fave)

b) the head HAS to be HOT ... too hot to grab and hold, to make everything work, so procedure ONE is to take a junk plastic shell or two and friction-melt them down to the brass.

c) 60-80rpm (more-or-less) is the right speed and most drill press are too fast. if you have one that's 120, it will work. Any 3/8" variable speed hand-held is perfect.

From that point ... hulls ready, some kind of vice/block and a hot head, it's is pure production, and you'll get 'the feel' pretty quick. You WILL 'feel' the lock. Then stop. It's done. second? second & ½?

You need to press lightly ... couple of pounds, tops, of downforce: let the head do it's job.

Every 10? dozen? 15? Touch the head channel with a scrap candle or a drom of 10W30 to add a little lube.

Rather than buy overshot cards, if you can get a 5/8" gasket punch, make them out of 3" x 5" cards, or, my fave, styro egg carton, which is perfectly frangible.

I'm through with reloading for the year, and you are welcome to borrow my PR 12ga head, if you wish to learn how to work it.

Bob

4. fishkiller

fishkiller Member

I use an antique crimper I purchased off e-bay. It works on plastic hulls as well as paper. No need for any extra heat.

5. SC trapshooter

SC trapshooter Member

What are the antique crimpers bringing ? Have a friend that has a 12 and 20 he wants to sell.

6. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

In days past I used a Lyman Easy press with no attachments and got great roll crimps.

7. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

SC trapshooter,

I got mine for $35 and have seen them at gun shows for cheaper, but the ones at the gun shows didn't look as good as mine. What type/mfg does your friend have I may be interested.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.