1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I NEED SOME ADVICE ON NEW TIRES FOR MY CAR

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Jul 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    I need 4 new tires for my second 2004 car. I am on a budget. I called Sears and Firestone and a place called John's tires. I told them I want a tire that grips well in the snow as I live in the Milwaukee area.

Firestone offered me, 4 new 195/65/6780 Bridgestone se200 tires. The guy said these are the best griping tires he has next to purchasing snow tires. 65,000 mile guarantee, mounted, balanced, new v. stems, $326.00 + tax.

Sears offered me 4 new 195/65/6780 Guardsman tires, good griping in snow, 50,000 miles guaranteed, mounted, balanced, new v. stems, $316.22 + tax.

John's Tires offered me 4 new 195/65/6780 Uniroyal tiger paws tires, good griping in snow, 60,000 miles guaranteed, mounted, balanced, new v. stems, $352.76 + tax.

Have any of you had any experience with any of these tires? What would you choose out of the three? Remember, We can have lots of snow where I live in winter.
    Thanks for your opinions.
    Steve Balistreri

2. senior smoke

Correction, the tire size is 195/65/R15
    steve

3. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Look for some Continentals in thoses sizes... Also, I've bought Douglas Tires from WalMart - made in the USA... excellent experience and pricing...

Jay

4. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Check out TireRack.com

http://www.tirerack.com/register/LoginServlet

I've used them for several purchases and I can't find anyone who can beat their prices on brand-name tires. Delivered to you door.

Guy Babin

5. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Steve

Here's another vote for the Tire Rack. I use them for all my tire purchases and have never had a bad one yet. A couple of winters ago, my wife was very unhappy with the tires on her Infiniti I30. Tires were ok in summer or in rain, but poor in snow and she constantly had problems with traction. After a lot of research on all weather tires, I selected the Goodyear Assurance Triple Tread and ordered a set from the Tire Rack.

Tire Rack will send them wherever you want, so I have them drop shipped to the auto shop of my choice here in Madison (WI) for installation. Then my shop calls me when they arrive, I take the car in, and they install the tires. Prices are excellent that way, and my garage tells me they could not touch the price at any wholesale source they use if they were to order them, let alone what the shop would then have to charge me.

This past winter, first for these tires, my wife was really happy with the new tire performance in the snow and ice. They also work great on dry pavement and in rain. Great mileage warranty also. The only adverse comment any rater makes on these tires is that they do tend to be slightly noisier on the highway than some others, but I have never noticed any real noise issue.

Another great feature of the Tire Rack web site is that you can compare several different tires, using both Tire Racks own test ratings, as well as user ratings. You can directly compare such areas as snow traction, rain, dry pavement, tread life, and so forth. Really can help to make a good decision.

In my opinion, these tires are really superb for passenger cars in our Wisconsin winters as well as the rest of the year.

Jim R

6. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

Check the trie itself-should have a paper sticky tag on it- READ IT......tells you tire tread wear in numbers like 320, 440, 500, 720. Higher number is longer tread life,then there are traction and temp. If you want best traction opt for a AA rated tire. Usually they are rated for example Traction A Temp B treadware 440. This can be any combo this is just an example.

Look around at several and get to know what they mean. Sometimes the cheap price means just that. If it's a guy you have been dealing with tell him what you want but still read the label or ask him to explain the numbers on the label to you.

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Go with the Bridgestone.

My Pomp's tire guy, after I have had nothing but grief with the latest Kelly Navigator Gold, said he is done with Kelly also.

He reccomends the BS.

HM

8. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I have 2 sets of Goodyear Triple Tred. I do not like the 225/55/17 on my 2005 Camry. Very hard to balance but that may be the rim. Very grabby,istantly goes where you point the car. Car does have upgraded suspension. The 215/70/15's on my wife's '78 Cutless are very tame compared to the others aggresiveness. I think the taller sidewall helps. Balance better also. Tire Rack is good to deal with but if you have a problem,no running to the local shop.

9. Royce10

Royce10 TS Member

I may be wrong but taking your tire rack tire to the local guy to install? Kind of like taking your steak to a local restaurant isn't it? I moved to an area where there isn't a handy Sears store, so went to Schwab to have a flat fixed. They did it no charge and told me they found a screw in another tire and fixed it while they were there. I have no doubt who I will get my next set of tires from.

10. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Not if you have a good, or long standing relationship with the shop. I have used my auto shop for years, work with them, and they in turn work with me. They charge fairly to install the tires, and take care of them afterward. Or if you do not have such an auto shop, Tire Rack will provide you with a list of "authorized shops" they have agreements with. They have 5000 such shops nation wide.

Jim R

11. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Find a family owned tire store that belongs to a buying group and has been in business a long time. I've always found that tire brands fluctuate in quality. The family owned places know what's going on with the brands and are usually interested in repeat business so they do their best.

Sort of like diamonds. It's good to know your jeweler.

12. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I never had good Luck with uniroyal tires. Firestone looks like your next best choice to me. Maybe get one or two more estimates and buy some. Firestones $325 for a 65,000 mile tire sounds pretty good for the price of tires these days. If you ever take this car on a trip you will need to stay with someone that has stores all over. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

13. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

When you look at the link for tirerack.com check out what they have to say about dedicated winter tires versus All Season tires. They have a video that shows you. All Season may be a satisfactory compromise for you but they are not as good as winter tires for icy roads. On the other hand you have to take them off in the spring because the soft rubber will wear out quick in warm weather.

14. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I've had several sets of Goodyear Assurance tires and this last time I went with Michelin tires and will never go back to Goodyear.

The Goodyear tires were probably a little bit better in snow and ice, but they will cost you around 2-3 mpg on gasoline. They may be a 60,000 mile tire but I never got more than 45,000 out of them.

The Michelin has a stronger sidewall and will not roll on curves, but will grip better on dry pavement.

I'll grant you the Assurance tires were quieter, but I was just not as satisfied as I am with the Michelin tires.

They ran about the same price at Sam's Club.........And the reason I buy them at Sam's Club is that they are cheaper than any place else I priced tires and you get free rotation and balance for as long as you have the tires on, and this is worth a lot to me.

I have them rotated and balanced every 7500 miles. Makes for a good smooth ride.

Good luck on whichever tires you decide on.

Hauxfan!

15. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Barry, when I buy a corn dog from your stand in Sparta will I be sure I am not getting some chicken , by product or boca dog???

16. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I just put 4 Michelens on my wifes suburban.. almost $1100.00

17. Citori Shooter

Citori Shooter TS Member

My $.02,If you buy the tires from Tire Rack you will have to have someone mount them so consider the mounting/balancing cost in the total.As far as the guaranteed mileage,check the terms because I doubt any of the tires listed will last that long.Mileage potential depends upon alignment,air pressure,driving style,highway vs. city,etc.I have never seen mileage claimed as high as those figures actually occur on any tire.To have traction in the snow,the tread pattern will need to be more open,which forfeits mileage potential.The Bridgestone you listed is a lower end tire and the tread will look like a grooved summer tread when half worn.Uniroyals typically have softer rubber.I don't know anything about the Guardsman other than it is a Sears tire.Avoid solid bars/ribs in the tread design,they will help increase mileage but decrease traction.Depending what is available in your area,I would look for individual tread blocks that go down the whole way to the casing and refer to the treadwear rating as a mileage indicator.

18. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

My $.02 as well: Cooper tires are made in the USA.

LA in MA

19. senior smoke

Crab: Thanks for those rating numbers. Thanks so much for all the advice and I will look at tire rack too. My 2004 has Cooper tires on them. They were good in snow but they certainly did not last as long as they should have. My co-worker swears by B.F.Goodrich??? I will let you know what tire I decide on. What brand tires does Nascar use, just curious?
    Steve

20. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Nascar uses Goodyear tires.

Eric

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.