Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

I need recipes!

4K views 32 replies 22 participants last post by  Roger IL 
#1 ·
Ok everybody, I need your help. I'm trying to put together a cookbook for a Christmas present and I need good recipes. I want it contain recipes for the things he hunts....dove, duck, goose, and deer. If you have any recipes you want to share please either post them here or email me. Thanks!!!

#4 ·
Duck, season and brown with a cup of oil in a black iron skillet. After browning, cover the duck with water, add three pounds of onions, three cans of rotel (spicy or whatever you like), and cook on a low-med heat with the lid on. When it cooks down, add water to the duck again. Cook it down again, add water again till it cooks down. Spoon the cooked down onion/rotel onto rice. Add duck to the plate (it will be falling apart) and enjoy. I have only tried this with woodducks but should work for any. Bob...

#5 ·
deer backstrap, 3 sliced onions, 4oz honey, 2 oz ketchup, Tony's seasoning, 1 oz worcestershire sauce and a touch of cayenne. Take honey, ketchup, Tonys, cayenne and worcestershire and mix (some might want more or less, just experiment). Inject the backstrap with this concoction. Cover the backstrap with onions and wrap in tinfoil. Bake in the oven at 300 until done which is usually 1 1/2 hrs. Bake slower for longer periods for a more tender meat. Remember deer meat is lean and can be very dry. You can make your marinade the night before and inject it also for more flavor.

#7 ·
Venison Stew: Cut the vension up to about one inch pieces the amount you want to feed and have a littel left over. Brown after coating with flour in a bag with salt and pepper added. Dice garlic up in a garlic blender (lot of garlic), dice fresh rosemaery and white onions. Put about a quarter inch of olive oil in a crock pot and add a little bit of red hot pepper for flavor. Put the venison in in layers adding garlic, rosemary and onions. For the best taste put about a cup of white vermouth (you can use a white wine)and add beef broth to cover to top of venison. Cook as long as you want (let it simmer, and I usually go 5 or 6 hrs) as you can't hardly over cook it. Taste it as it breaks down to the flavor and tenderness you like. The last half hour of simmering you can cover with sliced mushrooms. You can serve it over noodles or Polenta or anything else you wish. While waiting for the mushrooms to cook in I always reccommend a good Manhattan cocktail as a tuner up.
Dan

#8 ·
Stuffed Elk backstrap.
Marinate overnight in redwine,olive oil and raspberry's with salt, pepper and garlic powder. I then chopped portobello mushroom, spinach and raspberry's and used that for stuffing. I took a long fillet knife and made a small cut then sliced the center of the loin from there. Add stuffing and I used a smoker to cook it until it reached a core of 140.

#13 ·
Roast a big Tom turkey by basting it with a quart of Hard Cider and a pinch of salt. About and hour into the roast add a pinch of garlic and pour several cups of brandy over the entire bird. Just before serving, turn off the heat baste one final time with a 1/5 of Jack Danials. When it's time to serve, THROW THE BIRD AWAY AND DRINK THE GRAVEY!!!

#14 ·
Our favorite catfish recipe is to clean the fish. Just make sure you take off outer dark skin. We grow our own here in North Texas. My son bake from Iraq caught a 15lb one last Sept. Any who salt and pepper, butter and wrap in foil and place it in a oven or grill, just make sure it is heavy duty foil. Bake about 2 minutes per pound.(Med heat) The meat will fall of the bone. Enjoy!
Ila

#15 ·
Just made this one for dinner, pheasant BLT.

2 pheasant breasts, better if butterflyed
Wrap each in 2 pieces bacon, or as many as desired
fry up in a pan with a little salt and pepper

Mayo, lettuce, and tomatoe on bread with the bird, still wrapped in bacon.

Ill make it again. -Rich

#16 ·
How about some Blackened Venison Back strap.

Take the back straps and trim all the silvery stuff and fat. Cut into pieces about 3/4 inches thick. Wrap in bacon leaving the ends open. Coat the pieces with blackening spice for beef, I use the one chef Paul from New Orleans sells.
cook in a medium hot skillet or on a fairly hot grill till medium rare in the center.

Ready to grill

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">
</a>

On the grill

</a>

Lunch is served.

</a>

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.