1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I Need Lotsa Help, PLEASE!!!!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mnjim, Jul 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mnjim

mnjim TS Member

I'll try to explain this. I shoot a K-32 with a release for the past 3 years with no problems. I had catarates removed from both eyes 10 months ago and hadn't shot since. The other day I went out to shoot and my Lord what happened. I called for the bird, pull, released the trigger with out even seeing the bird. I shot 75 birds and this happened on at least 75% of them. Even when I did see the bird, I released the trigger early without even being close the taraget. If anyone has this happen to them and cured it, please help. I sure dodn't know what to do. Thanks for any help. MnJim

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Michael Stephenson , that was the best tip i got when I started. its amazing how fast people precieve they need to be. target goes 45mph or so shot goes 800mph The shot will get there. After a struggle to get into the 20s best shooter at the club, mount your gun look into the field like your driving a car call for the bird let your eyes pick it up and the move to the target. I try to describe it as throwing a ball to a catcher. you are looking at your target and nothing more. your body will follow your eyes.

3. GRABLE

GRABLE Member

Hi guys, I just had cataract surgery on both eyes. I was able to shoot 3 days after the surgery. I can't believe the difference,,,,I hadn't broke 25 straight for 9 years. Did that and a 50 straight a week later. I can see the target so plain it is unbievable. I also agree with your advice about looking way out over the trap house. I had no pain, no needles etc. The new lens I got were called "RE ZOOM" Look it up on the net, there is a little video by Gary player for you to look at. THANKS

4. mnjim

mnjim TS Member

Thanks for help guys. But since this must be a eye problem, are there any pratices I can do that will help and what do I look for, maybe a wall chart or something like that. Thanks again. MnJim

5. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

MnJim,
    The best practice is using your eyes. Since your not yet used to them your timing is off. Try watching a couple of hundred targets at the club before shooting it should help your eyes to adjust. If you can't make your old release work at this point try the lightest shells you can get and try a pull again. Although it may not be ideal I'll bet you won't miss 75% of the targets.
    Good luck with your shooting If you have more questions please PM me. I have a few other ideas but they are better left off this post unless we want to start world war ATA we should go to PM
    Joe

6. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I had both eyes done last year. The second one 1 week before The Grand. I had shot poorly for over a year. I won class singles, class HAA and have no problems. I needed to slow down so I had to hold a high gun and wait on the target to get there. I am now breaking AA scores and enjoying shooting again

7. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

I agree with Joe/gun_fitter.

Yours is an eye AND mind problem.

You are not centering on targets, i.e. you are not seeing them well before you shoot. You are shooting while they are still in your peripheral vision before your eyes have had time to center on them.

Practice on other shooters' targets. Really focus on them and keep focused on them until they are broken or hit the ground. Let your peripheral vision pick them up and really look hard at them.

The practice will not only help you center on targets but will also help you center on them more quickly. Too many people have not learned hot to see targets. They don't suffer as serious a problem as you but most could shoot better if they could center on targets better and more quickly.

You might consider buying a copy of "An Insight to Sports". It is a good book that will do a better job of explaining visual-centering than I did.

Rollin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.