1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

i need help with handicap what am i doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by daveship, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daveship

daveship Member

i am shooting a browning cynergy trap 34 unsingle that is set 95% high. i crush targets from the 16 yd line but i am missing straights and crosses from the 20 yd line i'm using 3 dram 1 1/8 7.5 ammo the same i use at the 16. please help todays scores were 22 20 20 19

2. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

Time for a clinic!

I took one last year and it really helped with seeing the targets. I took one from Kay Ohye and learned more than one thing that is for sure.

3. daveship

daveship Member

i am seeing the targets i'm hitting them hard then i think i'm on one and it doesn't break, its got me perplexed

4. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Trying to hard. 16 to 20 you should shoot them the same. I believe its all mental.

Good luck,

Nick

5. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

I think that giving you advise on the internet is impossible.
    I would lighten up my ammo and make an effort to keep your head on stock. A concentrated effort, I also hold a lower gun at handicap.
    Trial & error is the answer.
    I am not an expert and these are only suggestions.
    Some 16 yd. shooters are spot shooters.

Joe Woods/Ontario

6. racer

racer TS Member

What are your normal singles scores? Dan

7. daveship

daveship Member

my ata average this season is 94.5

8. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

My coach always reminds me that there is not much difference between the 16-yard line and the 20-yard line. There are those that differ, but I agree--it's mostly a psychological barrier. That said, I think we tend to miss straightaways because they are NOT straightaways--they're always angling slightly. That angle is amplified at the 20-yard line, however subtly.

9. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I sent you an email.
    Steve Balistreri

10. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Hey Dave. Stop asking us and find a club member at your club that can see the shot pod as it approaches the target. He'll figure the problem out in short order.

11. shadow

shadow Active Member

Kinda sounds like you may be a potential sandbagger.

12. jeffprigge

jeffprigge Active Member

2 3/8 8's is all you need at the 16 and 20 , you either are getting kicked or your pointing at them instead of swinging through the shot .

13. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

As stated above, looking for specifics on the internet is impossible. You need someone that can view your style, (gun mount, movement to target, stance, stock length, head/eye position, etc). But remember that what you do wrong at the 16yd line is magnafide for every increased yard. Many think a simple four yards is irrelivant. It has meaning!

14. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

While in my better day.. I shot well..I could never shoot a high POI.. the hard lefts and rights were to much math in my head.. While I looked good at 16... as I moved back..it became impossible to string together a good score.. When I went back to 70/30..my problems ceased to exist..

15. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Dave: Are you crushing all your 16 yd targets, that is 99-100% of them, if yes shoot the 20 yard targets the same way, if not you are not following through with your swing. You may be lifting your head, are you holding the gun firmly and head down snug on the stock. Do you have YOUR sight picture set up?

It must be the same every time you mount your gun, no exceptions.

Some of those Brownings Comb Adjustments come loose.

Now go to a pattern board set up at 25-30 yards and shoot at a target to see
    the pattern, it should line up vertically with the target, if not and you have your sight picture, try another choke tube, that one may be mis-bored, try several, also use a Improved Modified or light full choke tube.

You need to have solid breaks that show you are centering the target, shoot a couple of hundred from the 16 yard line until you get 95% or better scores with solid center breaks, then you know you are close on your gun fit.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

16. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Lower your impact or lower your gun hold-sometimes both. Grasp your forend as tight as possible. If recoil is not an issue at 16's with 3 dram loads then it shouldn't be at Handicap either. If recoil is a problem then pulling off targets in Handicap may contribute to missing as the error margin is greater.

This info comes from a 27 yd. shooter who just returned from an ugly performance at the Southern Grand!!

17. Lyle

Lyle Member

Let me help you with a cost analysis:

Advice on here is free.....or is it?

So far we have:
    1. lower your gun hold
    2. grip the forearm tight (my personal favorite)
    3. you are not following through
    4. have someone at the club watch your shot pod
    5. lower your point of impact
    6. you are a spot shooter
    7. Take a clinic

If time is money.............it will take you a great deal of time to try all of these things. If you have any bit of confidence left after trying all of this stuff I would be amazed.

So, my free advice to you is to do one of two things.
    1. Find someone you will coach you and listen to only him/her. You will find many that are willing, but this does not equate in to many being able to coach you well.

2. Spend a few hundred, save the TIME (Remember, time is money) and learn from someone through a clinic that you KNOW is not only willing, but ABLE to give you solid analysis and advice.

If your clinician is a good one, you will be able to SELF ASSESS your performance on most occasions and not need to listen to the "you are behind um" "yer liftin yer head" crowd, as you will know just why you missed, or, just why you smoked the target.

Good luck.

Lyle

18. motowheelguy

motowheelguy TS Member

Your thinking to much, 16 to the 20 you shoot the same. 3dram is a hot load for 16....heck I shoot a much lighter load from the 27! You should be within 2-3 targets ave. from the 20 as you are from the 16. I'm guessing your choke is way to tight and your gun is shooting high.

Aaron Holguin

19. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Shooting.

20. BIG JIM IN BAKERSFIELD

BIG JIM IN BAKERSFIELD TS Member

Do you hold a high gun or low gun? Try something different. I like a high hold the farther back I go. JIM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.