1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I need help, left eye dominant right hand shooter

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by claysman, Nov 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. claysman

claysman TS Member

Help.
    I'm a right hand shooter with a left dominant eye. I suffer from cross firing and sometimes see two targets. Any suggestion to help.

2. tj303

tj303 Member

There are several options. Close your left eye (not so good). Use a "dot" on the left lens to obscure the bead/target(much better). Learn to shoot left handed (some can learn others can't). The "dot" system worked the best for me. Good luck.

3. cec

cec TS Member

Many users tell us the Magic Eye Dots help them a lot.
    To judge for yourself, read about them at the URL above.
    Hope this helps.

4. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I have suffered with this malady for 4 years now and have tried numerous ways to overcome the problem...

I have found that for me (as in me only) I cannot use alot of tape (or blockage) on the left lens as I get the "Closed In" feeling and cannot concentrate on shooting.

What I have ended up with which works quite well is the Magic Eye Dots and the EasyHit Target Sight. Both working together/conjunction makes shooting more comfortable and fun without losing alot of visability.

Curt

5. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Order the Phil Kiner video.

6. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I am in an ongoing struggle with eye dominance issues. I've had a lot of coaching from Phil Kiner, and I tried each and every one of his suggestions. I'll also say I gave each a fair shot, as in several weeks with each method. I've also been experimenting on my own. I've gotten good enough that I spot my cross firing instantly. I can almost predict when I will cross fire and when I won't. Here are some tips that may seem unorthodox, but you may find worthwhile.

1. the best thing you can do is shoot two eyed using your left eye. The only way you can do that is to move the bead an interpupilary distance to the left. Just such a sight is made for right handed shooters who lose their right eye. I've seen several types. One is a ring that clamps onto an extended choke tube with a wire that extends to the left and then up, with a bead on top. The gentleman I saw shooting that rig was quite good. I've also the same arrangement that attaches to the rib. I'm sure there are others. The idea is to put the bead to the left of the barrel just enough so you can use your dominant eye to aim or point with.

2. call Phil Kiner and ask him to tell you about the experiment he asked me to do for him. I can't tell you what it is, because the experiment is ongoing and Phil has not published results. All I'll say is that it works in a given set of conditions.

3. for reasons similar to Curt's, I don NOT like gobs of tape, or an eye patch, or anything similar. I'll also say that on Magic Dot is not big enough. I was warned I would try to peak around it, and I did. You need two spread out horizontally.

4. glow worm sights promote aiming. That is better than missing, but it is not automatic shooting.

5. as Curt suggests, tape and a glow worm sight are an unbeatable combination, as-long-as-you-can-stand-to-have-any-of-your-vision-blocked. I also like the Easy Hit sight in Target 2.5mm bead. I wish they still made the 2mm bead.

Here is what I think you will find. If you want to shoot automatically, as in make a move to the target, then two eyes and the offset sight is your best approach. The next best method is Phil's experimental approach using two eyes and an Easy Hit sight.

If you don't mind aiming, which requires a slower, more considered shot, then try Curt's tape/Magic Dots and an Easy Hit sight. I'll tell you it flat out works, but I just cannot stand tape/dots on my left eye. After I tried it for a thousand or so shots, I decided I'd rather give up shooting than shoot that way.

The least satisfactory solution is to use two eyes with an Easy Hit sight. You can teach yourself to do it, but there will be days when your eyes/brain will not cooperate and you will shoot horrendous scores.

No matter which method you use, you will have to hold on or below the lip of the trap house to give you more time to pick up the target and establish a solid lock on it.

Good luck. If you think up another method and it works, please share.

If you

7. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

You can also try a Sight-Blinder Crossfire Reducer also a method that Mr. Kiner uses. Just mash on the link above

Bob Lawless

8. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

A square of magic tape placed strategically on the upper left quadrant of the left lens of my shooting glasses works for me.

John C. Saubak

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I am left handed, left eye dominant.

I shoot right handed, both eyes open. The easy fix is,,,,

Shoot a gun with a high POI, even for games other than trap (my Skeet gun is 80/20), and develop the discipline to relentlessly focus on the target. Also, move your pre shot focal point to a more distant object than the front of the Trap House. A Hi Viz made it easier for me to see the barrel in my peripheral vision WITHOUT bead checking (yes, it's still there!)

If you see two targets, you are likely focusing on the bead.

The good road is determination and discipline. The easy way might be another route.

10. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

try shooting left handed.

tony

11. OlympicTrapShooter

OlympicTrapShooter TS Member

Put tape on your shooting glasses. left lens. Helped my shooting friend drastically.

12. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

Piece of tape about the size of a shirt button. Mount your gun and have someone place the object on your glasses where you will only see one of everything. Works for me.

RA

13. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

I'm right-handed, left eye dominate, also. I've tried all of the aforementioned cures, and finally gave up and started shooting left handed. It is a steep learning curve(at least 5,000-10,000 trap targets), but you can get there. Trap is not so much a problem, but I still struggle with fast left to right crossers in sporting clays and 5-stand. I'll keep grinding away, because I'm in too deep to switch back :)

14. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

I have to agree with 22hornet, though I am left eye dominant and right handed I found that the switch to shooting left handed was not too difficult for me. One thing that I have not seen mentioned is that you may still have a crossfire problem even shooting from your dominant eye side. This is where a magic dot and or a bead blinder become most useful. Perseverance is the key to success, good luck to you.

Robert

15. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Hi Guys, The same problems here...one thing that really made a difference to me was going from a flat-parallel ribbed gun to a flat-tapered rib. I KNOW...it makes no sense at all...go figure. FWIW. Cheers-Graham.

16. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

Claysman- check your private messages-pk

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

A roll of Scotch Tape took care of my cross dominate problem. The tape is useful for things other than shooting glasses. One roll contains enough tape to fix about 2,000 shooting glasses.

Pat Ireland

18. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

I have the same problem. Take some chapstick at first to see if it works. Mount the gun while someone is looking down the barrel ( chamber empty of course ) and have them dot the pupil on your left eye. Works for me.

I have also found the quicker I shoot the better I shoot. No time to think. No front bead also works for me.

Not an expert just what helps me.

19. claysman

claysman TS Member

I'm concerned about tape and it's sticky nature. I understand the Magic Eye Dots use new stuff that allows repositioning without residue messing up the lens. So, I'm going to order some dots from the above web site. Thanks for all your help.

20. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

claysman......... I can give you advise on what I did. I have shot over 15 thousand registered rounds this year and after a little experimentation here's what I did.
    1) Instead of squinting the left eye closed I followed the recommendation of young Jeff Galloway (NC) and put a piece of scotch tape over the left lens in the place to block out the bird. This up'd my scores by 4 or 5 birds per hundred after I go use to it.Not having to keep the left eye closed was 1 less thing to concentrate on.
    2) I started to use a little higher eye hold. Higher on No.3 then a little lower as I moved to 4 & 5 and from 1 & 2.
    3)Attend a Nora Ross clinic. I tried but had to relocate to Indiana and had to cancel out on next weeks Robinson Ranch clinic. There is no better 1 eyed shooter on earth. OR..... watch her closely.

I beleive that the notion that 1 eyed shooters are handicapped, which I had last year, my first year of competition, is a falciy. It's whatever works for you and my 2008 scores vs. 2007 are around 10% higher. Good Luck.

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.