1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I Need help identifying this Remington 870 barrel?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Feb 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    I was at the local gun club this morning and a guy said he traded in his 870 trap gun for a BT99. He said he had 1 extra barrel that he just wanted to sell for $50.00. I tried it on my gun and shot a round of singles and 24 yard handicap, and it broke targets with absolute authority from both yardages. Now I am shooting a Remington 870 TB made in 1972. This new barrel I purchased is different from the one i have on my gun.

The new barrel is also 30 inches long, it has a stepped up rib, where my old barrel on my gun does not. I put a dime on the tip of the barrel and it falls through, where mine old barrel the dime does not. Both barrels are marked full choke. On the new barrel it says Rem 12 ga 870 barrel, 12ga for 2 3/4 in. shells, Target.

Even though the dime falls through the barrel, it hits the targets harder than my old barrel. The last few inches of the barrel feels and looks thicker than my old barrel. Could this possibly a barrel off a 870 competition? Could this barrel have a larger bore, reason the dime falls through it too? I remember a barrel years ago that looked just like this before Remington came out with the choke tube barrels. At that time I was told Remington had to make the barrels thicker to put the choke tubes in them, and they made a run of these barrels without the choke tubes. All I can say this barrel is a smoke pole. Anyone know for sure? For $50.00 I don't think I can go wrong.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Steve Balistreri

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Sounds like one of the back-bored target barrels off of a 870 TC trap (.745 bore dia.)from the late 80's early 90's Steve..and $50 is an absolute steal..its worth a minimum of 3x that ...probably closer to 4x ..I have the same type fixed full choke barrel for my 11-87 and its a target crushing machine

3. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Could this be a fixed full choke barrel from an 870 TC?

A fixed full choke 870 TC trap barrel I believe is worth more than one with choke tubes

These barrels were step ribbed and over bored to .745" so that the test of stopping a dime to indicate a full choke did not apply.

Would not the barrel from an 870 comp have a gas bleed off?

Ed Ward

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Hey, I'll DOUBLE you money right now!!!

But yeah, sounds like the fixed choke factory backbored barrel, or someone sent it out and had it done. Either way, nice score.

5. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

SS- I think calvinMD & school teacher have hit the nail right on the head, those were some excellent bbls. Get a barrel reader & I think you will find that it has about 38 thou. choke, put me in line right behind Brian in Oregon if he doesn't buy it.(grin) You should check the extractor cut in the bbl. because some of them were a little higher or narrower (they will work) but they put a strain (angle) on the extractor & will damage the extractor over time. If they don't line-up correctly just have a little bit removed so the ext. lines up straight. Ross Puls

6. senior smoke

Thanks for all your responses. I have a Super bowl party going on with relatives and after the game I will take a closer look at the barrel. I asked the guy why didn't he just trade in the barrel to with the 870? He said Gander mountain did not want it???
    Steve

7. CalvinMD

Gander doesn't understand the value of no choke tubes..they cater more to the field gun crowd..so in other words..they are clueless

8. senior smoke

There are no gas ports and it fits on my 870 tb . My son in law was over tonight for the game and I showed him the barrel. He said the bore inside of the barrel looks bigger then my other barrel. He used a peeps site and said the barrel is nice and straight too. He asked me if he could shoot this barrel? I said yes. He than said if I can shoot it well, can I trade you my existing barrel for this new one. I said no. If you shoot it well just keep it, and keep your other barrel in a closet for a few months to see how you shoot it, before you sell your old barrel. I'll try anything to get him to shoot more with me. Thanks for all the info about the barrel. When I shot the barrel the size of the smoke ball had a larger circle of smoke compared to my existing barrel on my gun.
    Steve

9. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

For a rough check try pushing a wad (or something that is a snug fit) through both bbls. that should give you an idea of how much difference there is in actual bore (choke) dimensions (if you don't have access to a bore gauge). As to the smokeball size it may shoot a little higher--lower--etc. hence shooting closer to where your looking, so you are centering the target better, or it may just like whatever your feeding it better than your original bbl. In any case stay with the one you have the most confidence in. I have 2 m31 Rems.--1 recently acquired that are about 10 thou. different in choke,(both marked full) so methinks somebody overhauled the open one, anyway I thought oh good shoot the open one for 16s & tighter one for hdcp. well it didn't turn out quite as expected as they both shot the same >smokeball wise< so off to the pattern sheets, lo & behold they shot so near the same I couldn't tell much difference. Oh well at least I have a good back-up (chuckle) Ross Puls

P.S. Make sure your son-in-law beats the "old man" occasionally, that way you are assured of a shooting pardner. (grin)

10. senior smoke

Richard:
    He took the barrel with him last night to try it out this week. I hope he does well with it. He gets down on himself when he does not shoot well. I told him that over the past 41 years of shooting, that I have shot more targets in 1 month of shooting ATA than he shoots in 1 full year. Told him he needs to shoot more often to shoot better. One thing I like when he shoots is his stance, and once he set his adjustable stock 4 years ago, he has never changed it. That's a good thing, as he said his stock fits him perfect and he takes full blame for any of his misses, as he does not make excuses for missed targets.
    Steve

11. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Steve, I hope that new barrrel works out for you both. May you both Break-em all. Jeff

12. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Calvinmd has it nailed

13. senior smoke

Jeff:
    I hope he shoots it well. I can always get other barrels, or just keep the one I have as all the misses are nearly out of it by now.
    Steve

cubancigar2000:
    I agree with what Calvin MD said and yourself. I have a couple friends that worked at Gander Mt. and they are more knowledable than myself. But, for the most part the rest of them should probably sell clothing instead of guns. When Gander first came into the Milwaukee area years ago, I took a Y model trap to them for possible trade in on a Browning O/u. The guy in charge in the gun department refused the trade because he said my model 12 was broken. The stop on the tube that is used so the forend doesn't slide off, he thought was broken. I didn't walk out of there, I ran.
    Steve

14. senior smoke

My son in law and I went to the local gun club yesterday afternoon. He patterned his old 870 trap barrel and the new barrel. Both barrels shoot straight, the new barrel shoots 3 inches higher than his old barrel. Here's the big difference, the new barrel has more shot inside the the 30 inch circle compared to the old barrel. The old barrel has a heavy concentration of shot in the middle of the 30 inch circle. The new barrel's pattern looks fantastic. We will see how he shoots the new barrel when the club is open to shoot. we went to a friends house that has a gauge. The old barrel was .42 constriction of choke with a bore of .727. The new barrel showed a bore of .747, and .37 constriction of choke. I told him that this barrel in the right hands just may be an authorized smoke pole. I shot this barrel the other day, and it's a great barrel. We have to see how he hits them? my old barrel shot 60/40, this new one 70/30.
    Steve

15. senior smoke

I took my son in law shooting and he did very well with the new barrel. he had a 23, 24 in 16 yd shooting. Targets were hit very well.
    Steve

16. CalvinMD

Good for you Steve...hang onto that pipe! My 11-87 barrel specs out the exact same dimensions and it patterns beautiful too...straight and very evenly dispersed pellet holes..I was thinking on having the forcing cone lengthened to 3" to see if it can be improved even more but most barrel guys are even saying to leave it alone

17. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Now you have a perfect chance to test the "felt recoil" from both barrels on the same gun.

Does the big bore barrel feel softer in recoil?

18. senior smoke

Steve W:
    The big bore barrel does feel softer, more of a push. I read earlier tonight on another shooting website that having a larger bore has never really been proven to produce less felt recoil? I had my son in law, and myself try both barrels, although it was not scientific, it felt like less perceived recoil to both of us. One thing for sure, when we smoked a target the ring of smoke was noticeably larger in diameter than his other barrel.

We then went to the patterning board and the old barrel patterned with an extremely hot center core of shot, compared to the larger bore barrel. His original barrel was .42 and the larger bore was .37 constriction. The larger bore filled out the 30inch circle very well with few if any major patches were a target could possibly escape without getting hit.

The question that I can not answer is this. If I took his other barrel, and had the bore opened up to .42, and the choke constriction made to .37, would his old barrel shoot and pattern and feel less perceived recoil as the new larger bore barrel? That I can't answer. I would think not, as the old barrel shot 60/40, and the new barrel shots 70/30. With that being said, I find no two barrels even with the same bore size and constrictions of the same make, would or could ever shoot exactly the same?
    Steve

19. senior smoke

I meant to say the following.

"The question that I can not answer is this. If I took his other barrel, and had the bore opened up to 747, and the choke constriction made to .37, would his old barrel shoot and pattern and feel less perceived recoil like the new larger bore barrel? That I can't answer. I would think not, as the old barrel shot 60/40, and the new barrel shots 70/30. With that being said, I find no two barrels even with the same bore size and constrictions of the same make, would or could ever shoot exactly the same"?
    Steve

20. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Steve, Glad to hear shoot the new barrel well. Hope he can shoot with you now more often. Leave the older barrel alone. It will cost you more in the long run for something that will never be the same. You would be better off just to sell it add a few dollars and buy a overbored barrel. Break-em all. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
870 barrel for trap
how to identify different 870 wingmaster barrels

remington 870 barrel identification

remington 870 barrel markings
remington 870 barrel with only single star marking

remington 870 target barrel

remington 870 trap barrel

remington 870 trap barrel markings