1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I need help/advice shooting slump!!!!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 686beretta, Oct 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 686beretta

686beretta TS Member

Hey everyone I hope someone out there reading this can give me some positive answers or advice. I started out the year at the 23.5, took a clinic in April, went to my first big shoot in June-Ohio State. I broke 2 97's on the Friday and Sunday handicap and was at the 25.5. Then went to my own state shoot broke a 96 should have had a 97 but you know how it goes, I find myself on the 26. On the Sunday handicap I break a 94. Go to Indiana break another 94, still feeling good. On the Sunday handicap I am down 3 going to my last field, I miss 7 on a very windy day, get out with a 90. I sort hang my head but I had a very good/blessed 3 weeks. In the following weeks and months I have been averging in the mid-80's. At Missouri this year I changed my recoil pad. I have not touched POI. I do plan on taking another clinic in the spring. Also, since the shooting is almost over I plan to take a break, and sometime this winter check the POI. Yesterday, in the mail I received and accepted a reduction to the 25. I am trying to stay positive saying I shot myself to the 26 I can go on back. Please guys I need some help and advice.

2. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Why do you think shooting at the 25 will help you learn to shoot at the 26 or 27?

Raise your POI. When you get to the 25+ it makes a difference.

3. 686beretta

686beretta TS Member

Well it appears that with a mid-80 average I'm not too competative at the 26.

4. Rvator97

Rvator97 TS Member

Read George Reese's letter/article in last month's T&F. IMHO, the best advice that you could get!
    Walt

5. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

If you review the averages of some of the best shooters, you will see that after reaching the 27 their HC averages went down for a year or two while they learned to be consistent at the longer yardage. If you want to be "competitive" you will never be that from the mid yardages except against other mid yardage shooters. This is because every time you shoot a good score you will move back and if you then take a reduction you will just yoyo around between 23-25.

This is why you see the big HCs won by either an underhandicapped 27 yarder who has become proficient at the 27 or an underhandicapped 20-21 yarder who can shoot 100 at 16s and at the short yardage before earning their way back.

6. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

JBrooks,

Are you saying that the best shooters, after reaching the 27 -----turned down reductions for a year or two while they learned to be consistent at the longer yardage?

John C. Saubak

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Put the old pad back on and raise the comb on your gun. The cause of the problem is the effects of gravity on your shot string. The further back you go the more your shot string drops before it gets to the bird. Raising your comb will get you back to where you were. HMB

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Slumps happen. When I am shooting poorly, I start changing lots of things. I change shells, raise my comb, change my stance, shorten my stock, hold a lower gun, get very disgusted with myself, and change my hold points. Then, after a while, I think about getting back to the basics. Keep my head down, convince myself that it is important to break the next bird and see the target well. Only then do things get better.

And, after I shoot a few good scores, I convince myself that I have things figured out and quit working quite so hard. Then, I am on my way to my next slump. Last year, I made a graph of my singles scores in the order the scores were shot. The graph reminded me of a roller coaster and I did not like that. This year, the pattern of my scores are about the same but I will will not graph them and upset myself again.

Pat Ireland

9. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

I must concur with Pat, but I do go one step further. I usually buy another gun. Works sometimes, sometimes it don't. J.Woolsey

10. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

John,

That is exactly what I am saying. If you want to learn to shoot at the 27, you have to shoot from the 27. Yoyoing around the 24, 25, 26 isn't going to help you much.

At big shoots(60+ and up) you just don't see mid yardage guys winning.

11. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

JBrooks,

I agree with you, but you realize of course that we're prob'ly guilty of Blasphamy?

John C. Saubak

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

J.Woolsey- Great idea, next time I hit a slump I will look at some other guns before I think about the shooting basics.

JBrooks- I see several short/mid yardage shooters winning events at shoots with 12 or more squads. Trap and Field lists many of them each month.

Pat Ireland

13. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Pat, you really need to go back and read my post upthread about short yardage shooters being underhandicapped. I said midyardage. Seeing as how most smaller shoots lump 25-27 yard shooters, perhaps you could list some of the larger shoots like state/zone/satellite grands where the HC has been won by a 23,24,25,26 yard shooter?

14. Rvator97

Rvator97 TS Member

Beretta686: Stop listening to these guys, get last months issue of Trap&Field and READ the letter by George Reese ,(about slumps)!! Don' t make me remind you again! LOL
    Walt

15. Justin L.

Justin L. Member

It's handicap, things change when you're moving. You gotta change with them. If I tried shooting from the 27 the same way I shoot from the 16, I'd have to kiss someone's butt to make it in the mid 80s where you're at. I hold lower than I do at 16s and different spots horizontally, as well. I also had to move the comb up on my gun when I started "getting" it from the 27 (only kinda sorta, though, just don't be like me in the beginning and move your comb between singles and handicap, the higher POI will break them from up front well, too). I'm not that great of a shooter, but those are the things that helped me, so maybe they'll help you, too. If you find none of those things help (and since the serious registered shoots are over for the year), you can shoot some practice and try some new things. If they don't work, go back to basics like Pat said. My way you get to shoot a lot more, though. Your choice. :p

16. 686beretta

686beretta TS Member

Thanks anyone else with advice?

17. canada

canada Member

Take any reduction you get. Shooting better will let you gain some confidence, and when you make it back to 26 maybe you'll have more luck. There is no sense in struggling from a yardage. Struggling in handicap and trying to change things has an impact on your singles scores too.

Pat Lamont

18. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Sometimes it is something simple. You have shot a lot; have you checked your trigger pull? I find when my trigger goes "off song" weird stuff happens, head raising, stopping the gun, snap shooting targets etc. I'm just a short yardage guy, but have found this to happen. Have a new to me gun; first time out shot a 94 in handicap, only had shot gun 50 shots. Then scores in singles and caps in high 80's and one in caps at 90's with bunches of flinches. Heck, I even shot and broke birds with a flinch, flinched, regrouped, then broke the target!!! Weird stuff.. I couldn't figure it out; misses would come four or three in a row, then I'd run the rest of 'em. Checked trigger, pull had changed and started to vary 1.5 lbs pull to pull. Cleaned it up, is now a consistent 3 lb., and I'll go give it another try. I feel that a varying trigger MAY be a real problem with trigger squeezers like myself. Other people are not so bothered. I know I really should cough up the bucks for a good release due to my light touch and huge difficulty with an inconsistent pull. And yes, I shoot a quality gun that may also need a trigger tune. Mechanical things will change their tune, after all.

19. 686beretta

686beretta TS Member

I am probably going to change my POI from 80/20-to 90/10. I am also planning on putting the gun on paper.

20. phirel

phirel TS Member

Beretta 686 - Sometimes making a change in your POI is a good way to get out of a slump. It can give you confidence that you have done something to improve your scores. I do things like that.

However, in a practical sense, you will never notice a difference between an 80/20 and a 90/10 pattern. In fact, if you make no changes in your gun and test 10 patterns, some will be nearly 80/20 and a few will be around 90/10. Patterns from the same shells and the same gun are variable.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

breaking slumps in trap handicaps