1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I need ex recipe for stew

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by slic lee, Aug 18, 2013.

1. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

Oct 18, 2008
    Miami Beach florida
    I would like a simple recipe without much in the way of sour, dry. wine and not one that melts potatoes when cooking.
    I like meat, potatoes, tomatoes, love all onions, carrots, corn to give an idea.
    Most of ones I find have so many types of spices that seem to go against one another.
    Maybe with your help Ill find a good one, thank you, Lee
  2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Beef stew

· 3 lbs boneless chuck roast, cut into 2-inch pieces

· 3 tbsp vegetable oil

· 2 tsp salt

· 1 tbsp freshly ground pepper

· 2 yellow onions, cut into 1-inch chunks

· 1/4 cup flour

· 3 cloves garlic, minced

· 1 cup red wine

· 3 cups beef broth

· 1/2 tsp dried rosemary

· 1 bay leaf

· 1/2 tsp dried thyme

. package of Lipton's Onion Soup

· 4 carrots, peeled, cut into 1-inch slices

· 2 stalks celery, cut into 1-inch slices

· 3 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut in eighths

· ¼ lb sliced mushrooms

· fresh parsley to garnish (optional)

1. On medium-high heat, add the vegetable oil to a large heavy pot (one that has a tight fitting lid).

2. When it begins to smoke slightly, add the beef and brown very well. Do in batches if necessary. Add the salt and pepper as the beef browns.

3. Once browned, remove the beef with a slotted spoon set aside.

4. Add the onions and sauté for about 5 minutes, until softened.

5. Reduce heat to medium-low, and add the flour and cook for 2 minutes stirring often.

6. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.

7. Add wine and deglaze the pan, scraping any brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. The flour will start to thicken the wine as it comes to a simmer.

8. Simmer wine for 5 minutes, and then add the broth, bay leaves, thyme, rosemary, onion soup mix and the beef.

9. Bring back to a gentle simmer, cover and cook on very low for about 1 hour.

10. Add carrots, and celery, and simmer covered for another 20 minutes or until the meat and vegetables are tender. Add potatoes and simmer another 15 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning.

11. Turn off heat and let sit for 15 minutes before serving. Garnish with the fresh parsley if desired.

This is best made the day before if possible, for even better flavor.
  3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Cover the bottom of a large pot with virgin olive oil. Dice up 2 cloves of garlic add and cook on low heat. Cut up a chuck steak and add. Cut up a large onion and 2 green peppers and add to pot.

Now add a 16 oz jar of tomato sauce and 16 oz of water to the pot and bring to a boil. Now add some cut up red potatoes and carrots. Add a tablespoon of sugar and whatever spices you like. Cook on a low heat for about an hour. When the potatoes are soft it's ready to eat. HMB
  4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Green Bay Wisconsin
    The easy way:

1. Cook the meat, with garlic, onions, and make the gravy when the meat is fork tender. A cast iron fry pan is great for this. be sure to put some celery salt in the gravy, along with the usual S & P. Make plenty of gravy.

Buy the large cut mix veg, drain and add the appropriate amount. Drain and add a can of mushrooms.

bring the heat back up and enjoy. You can doll it up with bay leaf, garlic powder, what ever flies your bird.

Quick and easy. If you have the meat cooked ahead of time it's even quicker.

The gravy is the secret, the vegetables, while tasty, just add substance to the meal.

When I brown the meat I sprinkle some Mrs. Dash on it, and after that keep it coved and wet simmering till it's tender.

5. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2010
    That's a good one Captain Ahab! Rosemary, Thyme, Bay leaf, Garlic, Red Wine, and Onion soup mix. Mmmmm. The first ingredients I thought of when I seen the stew question.
  6. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2007
    The Crock Pot is the greatest American invention ever! In saying that, I do not brown my meat before I put it into the pot. Also instead of using plain ole stew meat, I try to find a thick piece of sirloin and cube it. With the meat I use baby potatoes, bay leave, garlic salt, fresh carrots, fresh green beans, one large onion preferably Vidallia, chopped up celery, salt and pepper and 32oz of beef stock broth. If you prefer thicker juice, you can thicken with a little corn starch. Stick it all in a crook pot on high for about 2 hours then turn it down to low for another 3 or 4 hours.

7. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2013
    Cube your meat. Couple of pounds at least. Fry up 10 slices of bacon, as soon as the bacon is done put your cubed meat in the hot fat. Brown. Remove from fat and drain. Put 2 to 4 #10 cans of skinned tomato halves in a pot. Put in potatos quartered or diced, and as many packages of mixed vegetables as you can cram in there. Add a couple of diced onions. If you need more liquid add V-8 juice. Put the browned meat in there. Simmer until vegetables are tender. Add salt and pepper to taste. Easy to over salt while cooking though. Optional add > flour with cold water slurry < to the stew stock when it is finished cooking to thicken ( or corn starch slurry ) keep on heat until thickened. Takes 2 to 4 tablespoons of flour or 1 to 3 tablespoons of cornstarch. While stew is cooking have yourself a BLT to control your hunger. Takes a couple of hours with large cuts of vegetable, less time with smaller cuts. Make a couple galons at a time.

That's the way momma used to cook it and her momma before her. My wife cooks Asian so I do the stews and soups around here. Simple is good. No need for boatloads of spices if your palet is jaded by already overspiced meals at the local gyp joint/greasy spoon/ptomaine palace.

Don T
  8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Seems like the very best stews are the accidental concoctions that result from cleaning of the the fridge/freezer. Problem is these fine creations cannot be duplicated and there is no recipie.
  9. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2006
    S-E PA
    Here is one that is about as easy as it gets - works in either a crock pot or the oven - set really low (maybe 225). Takes five minutes to make.

I like the one pound meat to one pound potatoes - I think it's a bit over the top with one pound of onions - I'd do less. Lots of veggies (I use a mixed bag of corn/peas/carrots from the frozen food section), and a can or two of Campbells Tomato soup.

Dump everything (but the potatoes) into a casserole or the crock pot - add the soup and one half can of water for each can of soup added (you may need to add more water later).

Start cooking first think in the AM - I mean as soon as you are up - while waiting for the coffee to brew.

I've gotten partial to the small, pealed potatoes that come in cans - they hold up really well to being cooked.

When you come home for lunch (or if you get home early from work - long enough before dinner that they will cook) add the potatoes.

Good tonight for dinner, better tomorrow for lunch...
  10. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

Oct 18, 2008
    Miami Beach florida
    Ahab, my last three were similar to yours but I dropped wine and a few things changed. I guess you just have to keep cooking til the right one is found. Thank you all Lee
    Blade tried sirloin OK
  11. JohnStefanowicz

JohnStefanowicz Member

Jul 10, 2013
    Simplify - use the crockpot method. Better yet, find The Crockpot Cookbook. john