1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I need advice on dealing with winchester

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by trapman99, Apr 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trapman99

trapman99 TS Member

i recently purchased a sx3 sporting clays took it out for the first time the other day and it fails to cycle so i sent it back to the factory and picked it up yesterday and went went to gun club last night first shot it did exactly what i sent it back for just wondering whats the best way to get it replaced who should i contact at the factory that can get me some results or is there a way i can get gander mountain to replace it any suggestions

thanks jim

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Have you tried numerous different shells of different makes and power(Dram)? Some of those guns can be quite picky.

3. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Sorry to hear of our issue, willing to bet it's a simple fix. I would also start out shooting a 3 dram or heavy target shell in the first few hundred rounds and see how thing cycle for you. I'm more of a Beretta target auto shooter but this is their break in claim so to speak of. Just double check everything in the piston area, try light lube in the area or get the area bone dry and try it. You'll figure it out, don't get bumed out it will come together. Nice gun.

4. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Here's all you ever need to know about dealing with Winchester: If the gun was made in 1964 or later, don't.

Sorry you're learning this the hard way. Good luck.

-Gary

5. dss8110

dss8110 Member

I bought the sporting sx3 about 1 month ago put 1000 rounds through it with no problems steel and brass base shells.I would ask for a new gun!There is a problem and they can't get it straight!

6. gsw7880

gsw7880 Member

Good luck I bought a brand new Energy select had problems with it right away. Sent the gun to winchester and they had it for 9 weeks before even touchn it. Came back the same way I sent it. Talked to J.J. Hamblin head of winchester/browning service in Arnold Mo. He could not have been more arrogant . So I paid a local smith to do the work. I also have an sx3 and love it so don't give up on it I shoot lite 1oz loads and game loads with an 1 1/4 oz load with no problems. George

7. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

gsw7880. I've known Jesse for about 30 years. I've never known him to be anything but a gentleman. He has a huge job representing Browning, and now Winchester. Thousands upon thousands of guns come through the Arnold facility and his job is a daunting one at best. His job is to manage a bunch of union machinists/gunsmiths and not to put his hands on each and every gun that comes through the house.

If you and he had words, I'll bet you provoked him. If you're going to call him out on a public site then have the balls to sign your full name, George. Then I can call J.J. and get his side of the story. Cheap shot on your part.

8. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

If I had a problem with a current manufacture Winchester firearm (haven't had one with my SX3 yet) I would send it to Midwest Gun Works who is a a Browning/Winchester Factory Authorized Service Center. They have done a lot of work for me on older Brownings and always do an excellent job. You will probably get it back quicker and will have a smaller company to deal with.

9. gsw7880

gsw7880 Member

Trapman99 had asked who he should contact. I gave him a name, the man in charge of service. Maybe I should have kept my dealings with him to myself but I guess its to late for that. As far as provoking somebody all I asked for was my gun to be repaired nothing else and in a timely manner. To have a gun that is a few weeks old ship it out for service and not get it back for an additional 10 to 11 weeks absolutely frustrating, even more so when it comes back in same shape. I no he has a big responsibilty, but thats what you get when your the boss. Trapman99 goodluck P.M. if you need number for service dept.

George Weiland IV

10. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

did you assemble it correctly?

11. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

it was at the factory, that is the first thing they should of checked. there should have been a work order returned with the gun. new gun, first few times out problems exist, return it and wait 10 weeks, that's BS. there must be alot of junk their fixing towait that long.

12. Pacemaker

Pacemaker Member

Barry Roach, do you have a good opinion of anything you read? Why would you feel it necessary to take a cheap shot at "union machinists" and then turn your unsolicited opinion against George? What do you really know about George or his experience with Winchester service.

I think you just reminded me to to skip right by anything you have your name on.

Yep, I know my name.
    Tim Miller

13. Hardage

Hardage TS Member

Trapman99...give us some more details about the problem. "Fails to cycle" can mean quite a few different things i.e. failure to eject, failure to feed, stovepipes, etc. Also give info on the particular shell you are using with dram weight and shot load. As said earlier, the Beretta factory rec's are for shooting a case of full on 1 1/8 3 dram loads or better to bust in the spring. Personally I have never had to do that. I have no personal experience with the Winchester autos but have a few friends who have them. Maybe with more info I could help and then again maybe not. Sorry for your frustrating experience. I would vent as well.

Joe Hardage

14. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Barry Roach is as good as they come around here. I don't know anyting about the situation but I have read Barrys posts for years and he is not a guy to pick fights or start trouble on this site.

stuff happens... I have a pre-64 model 70 that shoots 3 inch groups at 100 yards. It is as near NIB as can be. When it shoots 3 inch groups there really isn't much reason to shoot it. I guess winchester made a few culls before 1964 and a few after. I suspect there will be more. Make millions of anything and you will have a bad one every now and again.

The Sx-1 may be the finest auto ever built and it was post 64 as was the Sx-2 and the Sx-3. This is the first time I have heard of somebody having an issue with a new Sx-3. I have also had great luck with Midwest Gunworks.

Sorry to hear about the poor service. I have always heard about the poor service thjat Browning has but never heard the same said about Winchester.

Hope it comes back fixed the next time. Having a new gun not work when you are looking forward to shooting it really sucks. Jeff

15. Barry C. Roach

Take what I said any way you want Miller. It's a tough job to handle in Arnold when nearly every gun Browning and Winchester makes has to be serviced there. Mr. Hamblen doesn't fix them. He is responsible for having them fixed, however and does the best he can with the cards he's dealt. The job is almost completely thankless. As for my union remark- a union shop is different than a non union shop. Everybody knows that. There are many more considerations and rules that must be observed by management than at a non-union shop. In order to keep the lid on union grievances and to please Browning by containing costs Jess is between a rock and a hard spot. That's all I meant. I stand by that. If you could walk in Mr. Hamblen's shoes you'd know better.

Mr.Weiland. I gave my MX8 barrel to Dan at Giacomo's to rebuild at the end of the Grand last year. I didn't get it back until late February. Does that give me the right to call Dan the name you called Jesse?

Jesse didn't deserve that and I'll still bet that you provoked him into a pissing match. Just removing what you called him in your thread doesn't un-ring that bell. Actually, it's an attempt to make yourself look guiltless to later readers to this thread and see only your "cleaned up" version of your side of the story.

Browning's reputation of poor service is well documented and is warranted. The problem lies with having too few people to do the work and way too many guns running through the place. Making it personal was uncalled for.

16. gsw7880

gsw7880 Member

Was your Mx8 barrel brand new outta the box and being worked on under waranty? Their is a big diffrence between your story and mine. If I were to send my early model 101 in I would not expect to get it back for weeks, but a brand new gun is a whole diffrent story. And as far as changeing my thread I deleted one word that yes was a little distastefull on my part. But I still feel the same way,but that is only my personal opinion. I have any where from 10 to 80 union ironworkers that work for me on any given day so keep your whinning about his problems between yourselves I deal with it too and thats my choice. Its a small price to pay to get men who are skilled in thier trade. As far as making it personal when we are dealing with my hard earned money and given attitude for being persistant, it is personal. Trapman I appologize for jacking your tread. George.

17. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Same problem existed with Beretta- I had a new 682- same story- first time out the trigger locked up- and it took 6 months to get it back.

They eventually resolved the issue by having other repair centers (such as Coles) able to do warrant work

That might be suggested

Regards from Iowa

Gene

PS- I once sent a model 52 copy back to arnold 3 times- it was brand new and wouldnt shoot within 3 inches at 25 yards

18. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I have heard nothing but good things about the guys in Arnold, MO. I happen to know one their gunsmiths personally and could never imagine him providing anything but top notch customer service.

19. Barry C. Roach

Sorry Weiland. Your hiding of calling Mr. Hamblen a despicable name and then covering it up makes it known that you don't tell the whole story some of the time. I suspect that's what happened here.

Don't call someone out on a public site, call them dirty names and expect not to take some heat for it. Especially a good friend of mine. You should be ashamed of your behavior.

One word can be very powerful. You should pick yours more wisely.

20. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

This is not anything new from the guys i know that have owned the SX2 or SX3. There seems to be an issue with some while others seem to be great guns. I would suggest a competent gunsmith look at it anyday before sending it back to the factory unless something is obviously broken. A function issue is much different than a broken part issue. And usually it can be remedied by someone in the know. And a good friend of mine knows Mr. Hamblin well and has nothing but great things to say about him and his customer service approach.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning firearms jj hamblin