1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I need a Master Link for upper timing chain

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Dec 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I have a 2001 Lincoln LS V-8 3.9 and there are 4 timing chains on it, I need to replace both upper timing chain tensioners, I need to open or break the chain on both upper timing chains to replace them. Does anyone have 2 of them I can buy or know a place that has them in stock.

I also need a diagram for the serpentine belt, there is not one on the vehicle.

I am replacing the belt while I am at it.

PM or E-mail me

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. Dr.Longshot

No one has one and neither does the library, Simple job w/master link.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

3. mobear

mobear Member

check out the above link.

Dan

4. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I've never heard of an "openable" timing chain. In my experience you always pull one or both gears, after carefully bringing the chain into a position where it is indexed and repeatable, and the chain falls off with the gears. You put the new chain on the new gears, properly indexed, and put that complete assembly back on their respective shafts. Could be something new here but I've sure never heard of it. 'course the last timing chain I did was an '86.

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Mash the link above. They can supply all of the factory manuals and some training materials. They have the full manuals available on disk. Hold on to your shorts when you see the prices. You should also be able to buy access to the online service information for three days or a month for a much more reasonable fee.

As for the "master Links", is this something you are "HOPING" they make? I don't remember there being such an animal. I believe the engine had to be removed and all of the covers, etc removed to do the job. I could be wrong, but if Ford does not list/make it, you could be looking for the holy grail. I would go with whatever the factory advises and supplies. Running a different link can possibly cause a chain to run with a vibration and cause more trouble than it's worth.

6. Dr.Longshot

Quack Shot got the Master Links coming Priority Mail as I write this, it is a factory timing chain Master Link like Mercedes uses on their Timing Chains.

Amazing thing is they sent them to me free of charge as I bought the complete Kit From them.

The Lincoln LS body and engine are the same as a Jaguar, and these are Jaguar
    parts I have coming.

This has been a real learning expierence for me and boy what a money and time saving idea I had.

Ford Motor Company should have had a recall on those Phenolic Plastic Timing Chain Tensioners, the replacements are metal, with Nylon Style Guides.

I will take pictures of the old tensioners when I get them off and post on here.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

7. porky

porky TS Member

Thanks for the feedback Gary. Good luck on the repair

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.