1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I need a graphic showing proper foot position

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by roger8918, May 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roger8918

roger8918 Member

Does anyone have a graphic showing proper foot position? I need something to give the kids as a visual aid.

Roger

2. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Schmo, the question related to trap foot positiongs I believe. How the heck does this skeet info help.

Robert

3. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

The proper foot position is what works for the person standing there.

I might copy your foot position, and find there is an angle I just can't cover.

You might copy one of the big big shooters in the sport and be so uncomfortable that your average suffers.

So in general start with a foot position that somewhere close to shoulder width,

Start with the feet somewhere close to a line, that for a righthanded shooter is from the left front corner of the square to the right rear corner of the square of the post. A lefty is just the the reverse.

Let the feet find there comfort zone, completely parrallel, or slightly toe out, ETC......

And then encourage them to adjust, for what they find from there,

Things like I just can't get to a hard right from post 5, maybe turn thier feet so that a line down the sidewalk from the 27 yard to the 16 yard post would be right thru the center of thier feet so that they are standing facing the next trap to the right,trouble with a hard left stand with thier shoulders squared up to the front of the square.

SO to me what a new shooter needs is a foot position that will let then handle the recoil of the shot, and while comfortable with the near staightaways, helps them get to the hard angles. I still use aposition and move on post five, that I learned in skeet, set my feet so that the swing for a hard right is natural and comfortable, bring the gun to my shoulder on a line that is a little past where I want to break a hard right and then swing back to my start point at the corner of the trap, a near straightaway is covered and the hard right just about doesn't stand a chance

Al

4. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Most folks that do not use some sort of radical stance are pretty much the same. If you are left handed, stand with your feet going parallel to the right hand extreme angle. Adjust to it from post to post. Right handers the opposite. That is a good starting place, then adjust to individuals liking. John

5. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

Hi Rodger!
    First would like to commend you on you efforts with the kids.I am somewhat concerned with the fact that you seem to be a little stuck on primary foot position. The basic foot positions are just a starting point, and are often uncomfortable to beginning shooters. This passes with time and practice. When I teach I make sure the individual can make the extreme angle move,and then make them trace bird flight back to traphouse.(urg much like skeeters do):)0) You will find that stances will need to be modified to fit individuals physical differences, this often changes as muscles are developed and technique beomes ingrained.The really only right way is so the individual is comfortable,can consistently re-establish themselves and they are having fun! You have fun and always be a builder! shoot often/shoot well

6. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

A good starting point for newer shooters is a foot position recommended above. Have the kids imagine a line drawn across their toes. With their feet about shoulder width apart, that line should be parallel to a line down station 5 for right-handed shooters and down station 1 for lefties. This stance should be used on all stations, always with the toe-line parallel to a line down station 5 or 1.

There are a couple of things to watch out for with kids. The often use guns that are too large for them and do not fit them. With guns too large (and/or heavy), there is a tendency for them to put too much weight on their back foot. This can lead to excessive recoil to the face.

Kids also tend to swing laterally with their arms rather than with body rotation at the waist and hips. If they are just starting to shoot, it might be a good idea to discuss swinging and try to get them to do it correctly.

Rollin

7. roger8918

roger8918 Member

OK, how does this look?

8. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

hay, if you have 6 toes is that illegal? lol

9. cimmaronkid

cimmaronkid TS Member

Roger, I too have to commend you on working with the kids. If you can find a copy of the old book "Trapshooting with the Remington Pros" by D. Lee Braun or the old Winchester book with Fred Misseldine, it would give them not only starting foot positions but what the actual sight picture was of the relationship of the muzzle to the target. Wish it was still in print. Good Luck! Pat

10. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

roger contact me motordoc at snapcapguy@ameritech.net

11. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Roger,the URL attached has some good basic information for beginning trap shooters as well as some veterans. Hope you find it useful. My apology's for not following my retort to Schmo with some insight earlier. Should have waited till I had more time to reply appropriately. Schmo, you don't know me at all but I now have some insight into you. No need for name calling.
    Robert

12. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Roger,

Great graphic. The foot positions you have drawn allow you to swing freely to the sharpest angles from each post. It always amazes me that so many shooters place their feet in such a way as to be tied up trying to get to angle targets.

Tony C

13. roger8918

roger8918 Member

Thanks to all, I think I found what I need. I wasn’t looking to start a bunch of hub-bub, just looking to find a graphic that represented the basic foot positions listed in the Remington Trap Shooting Fundamentals Handbook.
    Roger

14. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Roger,one more little bit of that has helped our kids. Trap,Skeet or Sporting Clays. Feet at shoulder width,draw a line from the heel of the hind foot across the toes of the lead foot to the center of where they plan on breaking the targets. Trap and Skeet,50 yd stake. Sporting Clays,the optimum breaking point. I hope this helps and it's a standard on any playing field. GOOD LUCK

15. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

roger8918,

Excellent graphic for a good starting foundation!

Most kids just can't get a grip on the 'line from heel to etc'. Your representation of being parallel to 5 station (1 for lh) is an easy one for them to visualize. Of course, as they become more proficient, let them modify it for their own swing dynamics. But, it becomes the 'basics' we all need to go back to from time to time when things turn to crap from listening to everyone....

Jim

16. Mac V

Mac V Guest

You don't need a graphic to find the proper foot position...

Start on post 1 standing so you are facing across to post 5 (if you're shooting right handed.

Mount your gun (don't worry about where it's pointed) so you feel comfortable with it and your body is straight from shoulders to feet...no twisting or bending.

Now, with the gun still mounted, start taking tiny steps with your knees/ankles locked while you rotate your entire body counter-clockwise (keeping it straight) until the gun is pointed at where you want to hold for that post.

Now look down at your feet and their relation to the post...that's the proper foot position for that post. Do that at each post and you'll find that your feet are positioned pretty much the same relative to the front edge of the runway at each post.

Mike

17. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

mac, interesting thought....

18. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

On beginning shooters(6, 7, and 8th graders), we once tried different colored shoe cutouts for the left and right hand shooters. Many of the kids today do NOT understand verbal instructions. They are very visual learners (video games?). We used our smallest shooter for the pattern. Within a few weeks, shooters would automatically place their feet in the correct position and soon we quit putting them down. It saved a lot of time and parents were reinforcing it for the coaches. It may not work for you, but with our results, we will use it again. Even parents can be trained, ..... sometimes. IMHO

19. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Yup, a line across the toes being parallel with a line down station 5, easy to duplicate on any station.

Rollin

20. roger8918

roger8918 Member

omahasportingsupply, excellent idea! What did you make them out of?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

foot position for trap shooting

foot positioning in trap
left handed feet position trap shooting pictures
proper foot placement for left handed trap shooter
proper foot position for trap shooting

trap shooting foot placement

trap shooting foot position

trap shooting fundamentals diagram