1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I need a doubles help with the first bird

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by romie, Jun 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. romie

romie Active Member

I have been missing a few first birds.I am getting suprised sometimes by the first bird.It is like it is gone and I throw a shell at it and go to the next bird which I usually hit.I am looking just under the barrel and I am thinking I need to look a little more under the barrel so I won't be supprised.I am holding my gun a little above level.I am wonder if maybe I am loosing my consentration.I know everyone is differint but where do you look.
    MOnty

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Monty,

Try holding a little lower gun. Also pick out a reference point as to the targets path so you'll be right on it when it appears out in front of you.

ss

3. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

I am no expert, I can keep the first bird loss down to 2 or less.

What I was taught,

find the spot where the orange streek turns into a clearly seen clay bird,

Pick a spot from there that requires a slight move to the bird.

All though if you are fasr enough, pick the spot where you first see orange and brake it quicker.

But with no true straight away, I have to ask why are you looking under the barrel? I just can't picture a bird there!

AL

4. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

First think about where the birds appear - if right handed, starting on post 1 and shooting the straight bird first. the first bird will appear to the left of the center of the trap. post 2, the first bird with appear to the right of the center of the trap. post 3, the right bird will be high off the right hand side of the trap. Post 4, the straight bird (now the left bird) will appear to the left of the center of the trap and on post 5, to the right of the center of the trap.

If shooting two-eyed, hold as high as you can and position the gun so the bird will be coming toward the gun (the gun is outside the target path). look under the barrel and watch for the target coming out of the house. As the bird approaches the barrel, track it a moment and hit the trigger.

If shooting one-eyed, hold lower but the idea is still the same. with a lower hold, you will have to use more gun movement to track the target.

When talking about hitting doubles, nothing beats practice

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I never look under the barrel for the bird. Do as gslam says or hold off the side of the flight and shoot it as it tracks by the muzzle continuing your motion toward the second bird.

6. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Practice shooting the first bird only, ignoring the second one until you can hit the first with ease. It is the most simple and easy trap target to hit.

I am aware of the complete field of vision, under the barrel and over. Like others said, hold your gun on the path that the first bird must appear.

The Kiner cd is a good instructional tool.

7. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Gary Waalkes has some very sound advise. I'd be inclined to listen to him after reading about the exhibition he put on at his state shoot last week!

Congrat's on some very nice shootin' Gary!

ss

8. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Make sure you are not moving your gun before you see the target. When I miss a first bird, it is almost always because I start moving the gun on the call, not when the target appears.

9. romie

romie Active Member

Thanks for the input I like the Idea of being to one side of the path.I think I have been right over the bird on some shots and I am blocking the path and I am late to see the bird.I assume since I am a two eyed right hand shooter I need to look for the bird with my left periferal vision and be just to the right of the bird.I have Kinard's tape and Okae or however you spell it.
    thanks
    Monty

I also had a glitch where I messed four second birds from station one in a row.I have been wondering what i did? only missed three more targets hte whole round.

10. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Is Gary a AA shooter? I did not see the name.

11. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

shannon391,

Check out the results from the Deleware State Shoot. Gary went from C-A in doubles and it still didn't keep him from winning. He was also HOA resident class B.

ss

12. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Good shooting Gary. I think he figured them out!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.