1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I must brag - I made the fence

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Pocatello, Jun 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I started shooting ATA targets in spring 1978, and over the years was pretty much stuck on the low 20s for handicap yardage. I reached a maximum of 24 yards in 2003, but took a reduction back to 23 in 2004. In the spring of 2007 I was at 22.5 and had just received a reduction to 21.5. Instead of taking it I asked Neil Winston to change my yardage to 25.0 as allowed by the recent rule change. My reason was to be able to squad with some other friends from Idaho at the SW Grand. They were all 27 yard shooters. My handicap scores there weren't much different than what I had been shooting from short yardage, 91/93/91/88/84. I finished the year with an average just under 88, about the same as 2006, and better than my 83 average for the previous two years. I did get one punch to the 25.5 for a 96 score. This year my handicap average was running about 83 again, and I was offered a reduction to 24.5. I reminded Kathy Key that the rules say I'm not eligible for a reduction for two years after the increase by shooter request, so the reduction was rescinded.

Over the last six weeks or so my practice handicap scores have been improving, often 24 with an occasional 25 thrown in. Then last Saturday at our local shoot I broke 98, running the last 75 straight and earning a yard to the 26.5. On Sunday I broke 89/92 in the two handicaps, not great but not disastrous either. Today I went down to the Utah State Shoot in Spanish Fork, and broke 23-25-25-24/97 in the championship handicap, earning another yard to the 27. It didn't come close to winning, but I'm pleased as punch to finally reach the fence.

Last week there was a thread asking about shooters often running 95s and not getting punched. Pat Ireland stated that he had looked at a random sample of shoot reports from Trap & Field, and that 95s earned punches more often than not. I replied that in western shoots I go to a 95 usually would not get a punch, giving as an example the Pocatello shoot last weekend where no 95s were punched. The Spanish Fork shoot today was another example of that. On my squad, four 27 yarders and me at 26.5, had three 97s, a 96, and a 95. When I left with almost all the scores posted, there were two 100s (both from 27 yards), three or four 99s, at least half a dozen 98s, more than a dozen 97s, and I didn't even count the 96s. There were about 46 squads, all but the last couple full. Obviously a 95 did not get punched.

Neil Winston was there and we discussed the reasons for the high scores afterwards. Reason number one is high pattern performance due to lower air pressure at altitude. He had a couple of pattern sheets he had shot that will amply demonstrate this. Reason number two (in my opinion) is the fantastic sky background at Spanish Fork. Today was a typical day there - blue sky, with no clouds and very little breeze for the handicap. The targets are in the sky almost right out of the house. The targets were set with a radar gun to the same speed as at low altitude. Neil has amply demonstrated in the past that target speed to fly 48-50 yards is essentially independent of altitude. The targets were not softer at Spanish Fork than they would be at Sparta or Vandalia.

By the way, Neil's friend Roman Pompe was also at Spanish Fork, and had a great shoot, winning the nonresident singles with 200 plus shootoff, averaging 98 in the four handicaps, and breaking some very good doubles scores too. I'll let Neil tell you more about that.

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Congratulations, Larry, way to go!

3. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Good Job, Larry!!

Ken Rucker

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Kudos, Larry. Now I'll have to get my arm working better and try to erase a couple of reductions my very own self. Still limited to 100 a day before it gives out but next week end I'll try 100 two days in a row and see how that feels....Bob Dodd

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

PS Larry, next week end will be at the "New" Bend, OR club about 30 miles east of Bend off Hwy 20 from Payette/Ontario; a brand new facility; 4th, 5th, and 6th and they're giving the world away to get folks to come and see. I reckon that's still a "fur piece" from your side of Ideeho but, if you're bored???....Bob Dodd

6. SteveT

SteveT Member

Way to go Larry!!!!! You have worked long and hard to get there.
    Steve Taylor

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Larry _ Great job. I, in now way want to diminish your accomplishment, but as with many things in life, the pursuit of a goal is more fun than attaining the goal.

Pat Ireland

8. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Bob, we are doing a family vacation the end of July - a week at Black Butte Ranch just west of Sisters. Maybe we'll bring some guns along and check it out. Do you know what days they plan to be open during the week?

9. Don Rackley

Don Rackley Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Larry,

Congratulations! Are you shooting the Alfermann?

Next time you are in San Antonio, let's eat Bar B Que again!

Don Rackley

10. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Thanks to all my friends for the good wishes. Yes, Don, Alfermann #44.

11. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Larry, I'll have all the news on the new venue after this weekend. I'll get what I can and either post it here, e-mail, or ship it on the E bound stage coach. Just maybe we could make a meet out there for a little time.....Bob Dodd

12. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

Mr. Dodd, how would a fellow get a program for that Bend shoot. I am a member of the PITA but for some reason didn't get a Program. Would Sue have one on the computer? Thanks BRGII

13. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Yeah BRGII, go to the above URL and click on the chosen shoot program for a PDF copy. I'll try to get some photos of the club for those that may want to hear and see the new venue. I understand there's no lawn or trees yet and, of course, this is in the E. Oregon high desert area with the vagaries of such a location but clear sky background, modern, large club house, restaurant, RV facilities already in for 40, brand new Pat traps, brand new voice calls, white flyers, et cetera. It is said there is room for expansion so that state shoots, both ATA and PITA could be held in Oregon with reliability - maybe even a site for the Grand Pacific?? Last time I looked there was a good many squads already signed up on PreSquad.com....breakemall....Bob Dodd

14. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Go to "www.bendtrapclub.com",for the info you need. Will Shoot 4th, 5th and 6th of July. Open Wed. 10 A. M. to 1 P. M. and Sundays for practice. This will be a great shoot even though the grounds have yet to be seeded and there well could be some dust if the wind blows. Shot there Sunday and 24 and 25 were typical scores for both 16's and Caps. I guarentee highs scores from this club as the target presentation is outstanding and the back ground it liken to the old Sparks Nevada club. Be ready to break some clays. Good weather is exspected if not a little warmish. Electrical is in for RVS but water has yet to to be inspected prior to use. Water will be available at the Club house faucets for those that don't bring their own. Gordon Howell, Post-2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.