1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I MISS THE WAY SHOOTS WERE RUN YEARS AGO!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Apr 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    i miss the way the larger shoots were run years ago. you would get up early, stand in line for your entry cards. talk to friends and discuss how each of us were shooting. a few years back pre squading was initiated, never liked it, never will, don't agree with that at all. alot of older shooters don't have computers, or like myself, don't really understand or feel comfortable with them. now to my dismay, i find out our state shoot is going electronic. i don't really know what the heck that even means. with the younger shooters involved in this sport, i understand how computers are involved now. i am sure the people running the shoot feel the changes will make the shoot easier, more efficient. to me, sounds to radical. i feel lost with all the new technology, so i took a couple computer clases last year. other than typing on this forum, don't really have any use for computers. i am seriously considering sitting out the state shoot this year, and just shooting area club shoots. the older i get, time is flying by. i was comfortable the way shoots were run, but i guess change is sometimes good if it improves things. if i could go back in time to 1960, those must have been the days. with the model 12's, 31's, 4 E's, 870's parkers. i just can't keep up with all the changes.
    steve balistreri

2. made half

made half TS Member

Steve

I don't ussually reply to post but yours was so well thought out and pasionate that I felt a need to respond.

Judging by the dates you site I am considerably younger then you.

I have been in the same job for 25 years. Back in the day I would go to work and be done with my accounting chores in a half hour.

Today I spent two hours on the same chores. I can now have more info, might be good for a fortune 500 company but for a small business--meaningless.

After I do these chores I sit and answer anywhere from 5-20 emails. Most of the questions would not have been asked 25 years ago but because someone can find my email and they have the time they ask the question they already know the answer to.

I'm with you- computers have not made life better they have made life different.

3. Justin L.

Justin L. Member

Why would it be a hassle if some people presquad? I don't know of any shoots where you have to do it (by computer, anyway). I don't think you'll miss out socializing by not standing in a line, either. Just talk to them around their car, the clubhouse, etc...

4. senior smoke

there was a time when shooters, management, would stay morning to night. life doesn't seem to be easier, seems harder. the #1 thing i miss is the socializing. most people shoot and leave, other things to do. if you have children, a wife, i understand, they come first. i really do miss those days.
    steve

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Presquading doesn't bother me (60) much. Just a new way to do it. Maybe you can have a computer savvy friend do your presquadding Smoke.

What I do agree with is the need for more socialization. A good clubhouse is worth it's weight in gold. Good snacks, drinks and food. Lot's of playing cards. Maybe a lilltle music in the evening.

You do have to help yourself some to bring back those "good ole days" I know here in AZ the snowbirds have card tournaments and a whole lot of gatherings back at the campgrounds. Ditto for the Illinois state shoot. Join In!

6. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

Steve/senior smoke,

Have you ever worked behind the desk at a shoot? Any shoot, much less a State Shoot? It's a lot of work! Believe me it is quite a thankless job and if there is any way to make things more efficient for both shooters and shoot personnel at a larger shoot, it is pre-squadding. It gets everyone through the line quicker in the morning and they can all get out and shoot(including those who work behind the desk). This isn't the first year that the Wisconsin State Shoot has used presquad.com.

Sorry that you choose to be a Luddite but that fact is that the more people that pre-squad the shorter the lines are in the morning and the faster the event(s) are over, thus the faster results are posted and the quicker shoot-offs are done with. That means we all get to go home sooner each night.

This is, after all the 21st Century.

Tim

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Steve- Things change. Your Father would have ridden on a train for two days to go to a big shoot. When you were younger you could drive to a big shoot, unless your car had 60,000 miles on it and was worn out. You would probably have to change one flat tire during your drive to the shoot. Now you can drive to your state shoot on an Interstate highway and not worry much about a flat tire or an overheated engine.

We do like to remember "the good old days" but all we remember is the good things. The bad things have left out thoughts. In our memories of the past, we all had much more fun than we actually did have in the past.

Pat Ireland

8. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

X2. "Luddite" One of my fave words. And I am older than Steve, but absolutely love my puker and make real money off of it. But I do not have the time to bullshit and prefer to get in to a shoot, shoot a couple of events, get back home for the cocktail hour, make dinner, go for a boat ride and be socialble with my child bride. Then crash form exhaustion, and get going on Sunday and do it all again. And the only mistake that Steve makes is that if he fought his way thru the pre-squad process, he would learn to like it. But likly he laments that his old buddies are gone. Personally? I like my new buddies more than the old ones. The old ones are set in their ways and often set in their rockers.

Come on Steve... Perk up. The best is yet to come.

9. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I certainly understand Steve's feelings on this. I too enjoyed the "old days", when shooting was just a part of the day. Leaving early with your shooting buddies and having breakfast on the way to an event , after shooting having a drink and bull$hitting with the "guys", etc. was all part of it. But I must agree somewhat with MIA; we let ourselves get old. Reminiscing about our past shooting experiences is great; but we need to adjust to the times or we certainly will "get old". Ed

10. senior smoke

x2fan-
    "Sorry that you choose to be a Luddite but that fact is that the more people that pre-squad the shorter the lines are in the morning and the faster the event(s) are over, thus the faster results are posted and the quicker shoot-offs are done with. That means we all get to go home sooner each night".

i don't know what a "Luddite" is? i am sure it's not good, but thats ok. years ago most people did not want to shoot, just to get it over with. we loved every minute of the state shoot. wished it would never end. there was a sadness after sundays handicap seeing your friends pack up and leave. reality would hit, knowing it is back to work on monday, and you would not see these friends for another year. i have had some serious medical problems, don't know how much longer i will be able to continue with this sport and see my friends. if i had it to do over, i would not not change a thing. the greatest thing i remember about the shooting sports are the friendships made along the way. we have some of the greatest, nicest people in all of sport.
    take care,
    steve balistreri

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The computers are for the people running the shoot and are not operated by the shooters. The reason we use them isn't for presquadding, the real benefit comes with the ability to accurately generate shoot reports and payouts in a very timely manner.

12. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

All this computer savvy stuff, pre-squad, electronic squadding and you cannot
    PAY ENTRY WITH A CREDIT-OR DEBIT CARD Now explain that to me and others.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

13. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I'm with Dr. Longshot on the debit/Check Card thing. I will take it another step forward, if a shooter(s) wishes to presquad, then the shooter should be able to prepay. Those that do not wish to utilize the system will be charged an extra $10.00 per event to stand in line.

Curt

14. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

It's the fees that credit/debit card charge to the seller and the fees for signing up with the CC companys. Figure about 3% in fees per shooter and it's alot of money to a small club.

Eric

15. snglfoot

snglfoot Member

Maybe I don't understand the "big picture" here,,,I normaly shoot alone (or with 1 person), I have pre-squaded, paid my $5.00, and got to the shoot and had to stand in the same line as those who did not pre-squad. It was no faster or easer. Start to charging for "not pre-squading" and you will drive more away, than we have already. Just my "hard-headed" opinion.
    Norman

16. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

Actually at the Wisconsin State Shoot if you do pre-squad you spend much less time waiting in line. You simply get your envelope, make sure you are classified correctly. If not go to the classification desk and take care of that and then cashier. No waiting in line for a post on the event(s) you plan on shooting. I have been in and out of the clubhouse in less than 10 minutes the past two years, good to go for the rest of the shoot.

Tim

17. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

I vote for Pre- Squad. I have spent way to much time in lines. Steve has never been to the Grand or any State shoots or he would know what lines are. I come to shoot not visit. Pleny of time for that between events. The good old days he is talking about happened in the recent past for me. Hell they still pulled the lever when I started.......................Roger

18. senior smoke

rogernra- i have shot at the grand in ohio numerous times. i loved every bit of it. maybe i don't mind standing in line due to the time being in the army? those were the days, waiting in the chow line. good shooting,
    steve

19. senior smoke

trapboy1957- my dark blue suit is a size 56 regular, i've lost some weight. the pants are waist 56, length 28 1/2 inches, will it fit you?
    steve

20. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Hey Steve, Why don't you get off your lazy ass and help run the shoots the "way you remember them".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.