1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I mined for shot!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DecalDude, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Last evening I was the first guy to the club. I was curious as last summer there was a reclaim group in there mineing. I took a wander over to the site and found a tailing pile.

There is where I saw it lol Grey gold! There was the shot laying there that had been washed by the snow melt and spring rain.
    I took a scooper and a 2 liter pop bottle and started at the base of the pile, before I knew it I had filled the bottle with mud covered shot.

Today after work I took an old window screen and sifted threw it and picked out the rubble I could see then pressed on it to force any lil dirt clumps threw.

Next I rinsed it while on the screen a few times like I had seen that fellow on GOLD FEVER do.

I let dry for a bit but not totally and put half of it in my tumbler and ran it half hour, it had a grey foam about it so I took it out and rised it out.

It is now drying completely in the furnace room, when done I will add the graphite and see if I can get a box or 2 loaded for practice Thursday. I will post the scores and visual result after shooting.

Jerry

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Newbie, someone on here told of a similar story not too long ago where the member was thrown out of the club for a similar thing. The lead usually belongs to the club. Be prudent in your acquisition, it may not be worth it. I am not trying to tell you what to do but, just trying to caution you and save some possible embarassment. JMHO, Bulge.

3. TERRYB

TERRYB Member

BEFORE you reload your found lead make sure you run a magnet over it.......Terry

4. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

It was discussed with a couple of the officers of the club, and for practice use at our club.

I loaded 3 boxes up tonight with this shot and will be redistributeing it again.

Jerry Lewis

5. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Jerry, from 16 yds, you'll see no difference. Back in the late 60's being short of funds raising a family, lead was under 5, we used to pick up the used wads, wash them and shoot them again. We were to dumb to pick up the lead. I remember a friend and I saved pimers for quite a while, AA's and Rem were a deep copper, We took our pails to the scrapper who put a magnet to them. Oh well, not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Use appropriate care when gathering used shot at the club and when cleaning the shot. You will be exposed to some toxic lead dust. After washing the shot, dispose of the water in a safe manner. Lead carbonate (the white stuff on some shot) is water soluble. Young children are especially sensitive to lead dust. Use caution.

Pat Ireland

7. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

What thread had the posting of a memeber being thrown out of a club for reusing shot?

8. porky

porky TS Member

Bob, If you had picked up the wads that didn't show a lot of wear and washed them in hot water, then put them in a pillow case and run them through a warm and cool cycle in your wife's dryer, they will spring back to the original shape. Don't tell your wife you're going to do it.

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Jerry, assuming you have mining rights from the club and follow Pat's precautions about handling lead, it is certainly possible to recover enough shot to cover your shooting. Just a matter of time and effort.

You will find ways of speeding things up, for instance, the washing process can be done in a wheel barrow agitated like a sluice box which accomlishes removal of both the fine and coarse non shot material. The drying can be accelerated by using a box with a 10 mesh screen bottom. Graphiting can be done in a vibratory case cleaner.

10. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Git-ER-Done, I told the story too quickly. In early married life she didn't mind me washing the wads, I think I used an onion sack, but I wouldn't dare try it today. I'm able to p--s her off enough with my normal life style. BTW, who's going to tell her about the new bird dog that found me?? Oh well, life can be interesting.

11. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Good for you! I make my shot but have dug a few "core" samples at our range just to see how much is there, if it were a dryer climate here I would buy a shot miner.. keep it up!

12. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Well I do have permission from the higher ups in the club right to the top, they told me that haveing the shot mined was free money to the club, me getting enough to shoot practice will not hurt anyones feelings. I am only getting enough to cover my own 16yrd practice, not going at it for a living and its not going to be a regular event.

I am aware of lead contaminates as I shot indoor rifle and pistol for years, and I also deal in scrap metals when it comes about. Also I used to cast my own double ended wadcutters for my 38special. I keep the actual handleing down to a minimum as I had high lead content in my blood from cutting steel painted with lead paint.

Thanks all for your input tips and what not it was just a lil venture to see what all it entailed and see what those of you who use reclaim may have delt with and well inless lead goes sky high I dont see myself doing it again.

Oh by the way the 3 boxes I did load I shot a 20 gave a box to a buddy he shot 23 and the Mrs swiped the other and shot handicap from 25yrd line(where she is supposed to be) and not allowed to post her score lol.

Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.