1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I might try a round of skeet!!!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by fearlessfain, May 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

you will have more fun shooting skeet as skeet shooters are more sociable than trap shooters, at least while they are shooting.

2. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Piddy, You should reconside this idea as skeet shooters have no pitty for poor shooting. They will make fun of you for your missed target and your pink vest. A long barrel with tight trap choke and buck shot would be the best shells and gun configuration.

3. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Open chokes fast shells 9 shot. Like shooting fish in a barrel.

4. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

One thing for sure. You won't shoot up as many shells. Takes a lot longer for a round. Take your 410. Have some fun! Unlike most comments, you will find that they are good guys too. They have to be--we all are SHOOTERS!
    What I find most interesting is that we trappers on a skeet field is that we make really good skeet doubles shooters! I guess it's because we look so hard at our doubles. It's a fun game--try it!

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I get the satire but Skeet is a fun game. I was awarded a 'Flaming' pink shooting shirt for taking HOA on last year's skeet league. Part of the fun is that we can laugh at ourselves... something that is all too rare in Trap. I know tons of trap shooters that just know skeet shooting is like shooting fish in a barrel and yet none of them can manage more that about 50% if they actually check their egos and try the game.

I use a wide variety of field guns for skeet with my favorite being a M42 Winchester plain jane full choke field gun. Really the only requirement is that the gun will reliably fire two rounds with minimal delay. For ammo go with a light charge of #9s, the targets are close and they break readily.

I find the skills learned on the skeet range really help with quail hunting which is my true passion. Trap shooting really is only transferable to trap shooting and the off chance of a sraight away rooster.

6. nipper

nipper TS Member

try this load

12 guage

16.5 red dot

aa or sts hull

3/4 oz. shot #9

winchester primer

neon green claybuster 1 oz. wad

bill

7. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Once you can hit Hi-2 and Lo -6 halfway to the center stake you should never miss any Trap target. Jeff

8. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Jeff ... lets take that point a little farther.

Once you can break doubles on station 2 with only a right to left gun movement and break doubles on station 6 with only a left to right gun movement then you should never miss any trap doubles again.

9. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Thanks Lump. Jeff

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Mr. Newbius,

Even the very best skeet shooters (like Todd Bender) first move the gun right on Station 2 for the high house target, and left on Station 6 for the low house target.

In fact, if you watch Bender's skeet shooting fundamentals video, on the double at station 2, the high house target is broken well left of the center stake, and the low house target is broken approximately "at" the center stake. Hard (OK, impossible) to do that if you only move the gun right to left....

Trying to "spot shoot" high 2 or low 6 on the doubles is a bad idea.

Kinda like trying to spot shoot the first shot of doubles trap. Also a bad idea, if you listen to the good doubles shooters like Frank Hoppe.

11. m70win

m70win Member

Piddy isn't that like saying you want to try being gay?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.