1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

*I made the 27yd line with a Stolen Gun

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Onceabum, Feb 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Many years ago I found myself in a sporting goods store a couple of hundred miles from home. The Browning BT-99 had not been out very long and the store had a new one for sale. Money was tight back then but I wanted that gun. The clerk said he would take $75.00 deposit and hold the gun for me. I gave him the money and got a receipt.

About five - six weeks later I went to the store to pick up the gun...from the same clerk and to pay the balance owed. He brought me the gun and thanked me for shopping with them. I showed him the receipt for the $75 and asked him how much more I owed him. He told me that he had checked the paperwork and that I had already paid the balance. I disagreed with him about paying off the gun. He got about half upset with me when I suggested he was mistaken.

Not wanting to get either of us in trouble, I asked to see the manager. He told me HE was the manager and he did not make mistakes. I walked out with the gun and paperwork marked PAID IN FULL.

I shot the $75.00 gun (did I steal it?) well for several years.

Booger

2. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

I'll give you your money back for it. That way you won't have to feel bad about it.

Jim

3. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

The way I see it there was a verbal sales contract for a legal purpose which contained an offer, an acceptance and an exchange of consideration.

As the amount was under $100, the verbal contract was not subject to the statute of frauds. This statute requires contracts over a certain dollar value to be in writing in order to be enforceable.

You have possession of the BT99 and they have possession of the money.

Enjoy.

Ed Ward

4. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Well Ed. Hmmm. That is one theory that could work. Problem is, there was an earlier contract when the $75 bucks was put up. So is the second "verbal contract" a novation of the first? Jake

5. Buddy O

Buddy O TS Member

Consider it a gift!

6. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Chances are the statute of limitations has long since expired. Enjoy your $75.00 BT-99.

Man I wish I could find a deal like that.My oldest son today, shot some nice scores with my Beretta 391 Trap. Hummmm, maybe I need another gun, you know, my 13 year old is now shooting MY Beretta, I need to give him every opportunity at that 100 score. Yea that's the ticket, My oldest son is making me buy a new gun. ha ha

Think it will fly with the wife?

Jerbear

7. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Some people have egos that won't allow them to even consider they may have made a mistake. I haven't had the luck you had with a new gun, but it has happend to me on a smaller scale. Once I was given change for a 50 dollar bill(I handed the clerk a 20). when I informed her there had been a mistake in the change, she screemed at me that "She" didn't make mistakes and told me to get out of the store(I complied). Again when I was driving a truck I cashed a comcheck for the fuel and the clerk gave me back the full amount of the check and didn't deduct for the fuel. I tried to tell her the mistake and she said "She" DID NOT make mistakes and began to threaten to call securtiy if I didn't leave her alone(again I complied). I really wanted to do the right thing but wasn't going to get into a squable with security personnel. Egos are a weird thing with some folks.

8. ink ball

ink ball Member

So....Does this sporting goods store sell Krieghoff's? :)

Thanks for sharing!

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Maaybe just maybe a friend came in and paid off the gun for him.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

10. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

MIA,

You're getting to be tiresome as hell and a real pain in the ass. I think the word narcissism was invented with you in mind. If it is any of your business, I made the 27 the first time in 1978 and twice more between then and 2003 and was never lower than the 26 during those years.

You might consider spending more time working on YOUR shortcomings rather calling people liars when you have no idea what you're talking about.

Booger

11. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

MIA Your getting as bad as prince-of-darkness ?????

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

school_teacher (Ed)- this post is just for you and I. Nobody else would care. In many states, including Virginia the "statute of frauds" does not have an $100 limit. And, in a strict sense, a contract is an agreement and only the terms of the agreement can be put on paper. A piece of paper labeled "Contract" simply expresses the terms of the contract but the actual contract (the agreement) cannot be put on paper. I believe that Ed and I could have an enjoyable conversation about valid, void and voidable contracts that would bore everyone else.

Pat Ireland

13. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

MIA: I hope you don't ride a bike because you sure do back pedal. After you get through patting yourself on the back as the site brain stimulator consider that maybe no one wants your stimulation. It's like an old dog I once knew about, if you kept poking him with a stick he would snap at you and if you kept it up he would eventually bite you. Who wants the friendship from someone who ridicules them then offers a "I didn't really mean it". Your ego is going to write a check your butt can't cash.

Don

14. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Pat, I agree with you.

The agreement is the "meeting of the minds." I was taught to "get it in writing" in order to enforce the agreement.

Ed Ward

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

Ed- You were taught well.

Pat Ireland

16. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Is that a trick question?

17. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

things happen for a reason, repay the kindness to someone else you meet and call it even.

18. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Thanks, Bruce. I try to do that frequently.

Booger

19. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Ok MIA, What are you on and where do we get it? Jake

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.