1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I love older guns and other old things

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by OLD ONE EYE, May 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I have this weakness for old well built things Model 12 Rem 31 Ithaca SBT Parkers LC Smiths I have been stuck at home this month recovering from retina surgery going stir crazy. Took out my old range finder cameras and old fixed lens cameras from the 50's to the 80's I forgot how wonderful they were made and the weight of the all glass lenses it was a joy to revisit them and the many days I enjoyed shooting them just like my old trap guns. I did go digital and shoot a modern gun but the love and feel and workmanship of some of those old guns makes me warm and fuzzy. Same goes for old cars.

I was just wondering what old things you have/had or miss or still have that time has past by that nostalgia gives you that warm and fuzzy inside.

Buddy

2. hwy13

hwy13 Member

Hey Buddy ,

Exc. thread you have started here, we all have something on the back shelf,
    something that we grew up with, something that was passed down.

I don't have an older firearm to post, so I'll use this instead.

[​IMG]

3. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Wow thanks what a wonderful train I worked for Lional in Irvington NJ back in the 50's part time.
    Buddy

4. GW22

GW22 Active Member

You're not alone. I fell in love with the Browning Medalist target pistol the first time I ever looked at The Shooter's Bible as a kid. A few decades later I discovered this one, still in as-new condition. I'm glad the seller didn't know how much more I was willing to pay for it.

-Gary

[​IMG]

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

That's a beauty Gary.

6. Mapper

Mapper Member

I too am an old stuff lover and I have about what you have, except I sold my 68 Camaro. It needed work and I doubt I could motivate myself to do another rusty car. I have a box of film cameras and about fainted when Kodachrome went away.
    My Krieghoff is my sole modern shotgun and it is a 32.

7. Lawman214

Lawman214 TS Member

I, too, have a love for things mechanical that many might simply write off as "old." A couple of my personal treasures are workhorses in my woodshop: A Craftsman/Atlas wood lathe from the mid-30's, and a 6" Boice Crane jointer made in 1937. Both machines are mechanically perfect, and see lots of use. Keep the new Chinese stuff...I'll take old and made in USA.

8. Gold Medal

Gold Medal Member

9. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

A few years ago, I sold some firearms for a friend. For the effort, he gave me the pick of what I sold. I chose a Colt Army Special in 38 caliber, formerly owned by an unnamed Chicago cop. The gun was made in 1924 and was in fairly good shape. I sent it to Colt and had it restored to its original condition. The action in these guns is remarkably smooth and similar to the Pythons. A piece of history. Similar to the gun Andy Garcia uses in The Untouchables scene in the train station.

Gene in Illinois

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    How about a rare S&W .44 Hand Ejector First Model Target, also known as the Triple Lock? The gun was made circa 1912.

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Or a S&W .22 Outdoorsman First Model from the mid-1930s? This one has a rare humpback hammer and a Call brilliant front sight (nickel steel disc on a Patridge blade).

12. Kolarpole

Kolarpole Member

Buddy "ole boy" ... I wish you well in your recovery with your eyes and hope the targets appear twice the size!! ... run'em

13. train222

train222 Well-Known Member

Buddy,

I have to agree...They don't make them like they use to anymore. Some of my favorite shotguns in my collection are the older ones like these:

Winchester Model 12 Piegon Grade Three Barel Set Circa 1946

[​IMG]

Remington Model 31 TC, Circa 1947 in 100% Mint Condition

[​IMG]

Baker Single Barrel Trap Circa 1928

[​IMG]

Remington Model 11 'F' Grade Circa 1920

[​IMG]

Stu Gabriel (MrGun)

14. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I was expecting Sophia

Regards from Iowa

Gene

15. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Lawman- I would love to see your woodshop and play with the Atlas.

16. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Me too. ;-)

Bob Falfa

17. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Example, Win 94 Pre 64 is way better then the ones being made today. Rem 31, smooth action because hand fitted. So was the late 60's Colt Phython. The mid 70's I will say was the real breaking point for poor work. I do like my guns from tha point back. Pride is no longer a factor in making anything now a days.

18. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Lawman:

I call your ATLAS...

[​IMG]

and raise you a WALKER-TURNER...

[​IMG]

-Gary :p

19. moowho

moowho Member

I love old cars and grew up in the muscle car era. I was also involved in a racing famley. If anyone is into NASCAR you will reconise my last name (Fennig)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Michael.B

Michael.B Member

One Eye,

I hope your surgery is successful and your vision becomes better than ever.

Old guns: 1874 LC Smith hammerless 10ga that belonged to my GGG Grandfather, 1923 Remington 11 12ga that belonged to my Grandfather, 1959 Winchester WinLite that was given to me as my first gun by my Uncle and Grandfather.

Old cameras: Olympus OM-1, Om-2 Om-4T, and a Bronica ETR-S.

Old Singer sewing machines: I've slowed down a bit, but I refurbish old Singer sewing machines and find them new homes. I've given away several including a 1954 mod. 15-91, a 1903 mod. 127 treadle in a No. 5 cabinet, a 1957 mod. 99 portable, and others. I'm currently working on a 1916 mod. 66 treadle in a no. 22 drawing room cabinet. I have a 1901 mod. 127 treadle in a No. 5 cabinet waiting to be worked on. My own machines are a 1924 mod. 66 treadle in a No. 5 cabinet and a 1918 mod. 15-88 treadle in a no. 24 drawing room cabinet.

Michael B.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.