1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I loaded some unique for 12 gauge...they worked

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dolphin62, Jun 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

I followed the load from the allient book....they shot great, recoil very mild, powder burned completely, they hit the targets very well so I asume they shot a good patern.

my question is a person at the gun club I shot at told me that this not a good load to shoot since it is a slow burning powder. I got the recipe from the allient booklet.

is this load alright to shoot....I realy liked the results I got using this powder for 12 gauge loads.

2. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Would you take the word of someone on this site over the published data from the manufacturer?JRM

3. Hatshooter

Hatshooter TS Member

I like the performance of Unique with 1 1/8 1250 fps.. hard to beat.

4. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Unique is not a 'fashionable' powder nowadays, but that doesn't mean it is not a great powder with a lot of flexibility.

I load a lot of Bullseye for shotgun, and I get those looks & comments, too. :: shrug ::

Trust Alliant, rather than what you hear at the club.

Bob

5. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Why don't you tell us what load you loaded..and we'll be happy to give you our opinion.. I've loaded Alliant powders for 45 years and never had a problem with anything the factory published..if followed exactly as they poblished..

Now.. I do agree.. Unique is best with 1 1/8oz or more.. at over 1200 fps.. It's not designed for weenie loads in 12 gauge.. and also works well in handgun.. cast bullet rifle..and 20/28/16 gauge shotgun shells too..

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Unique behind 1 1/8 oz at 1250 fps RULES at the back fence.

7. Borg

Borg Member

As Bob pointed out, Unique is not fasionable any longer since there are so many options/good powders. I use to load unique exclusively for 12 ga 1 1/8 oz loads with very good results. I have changed to red dot myself, only because I am loading a few different lighter loads in differing hulls. I am saving the last few pounds of Unique for handgun rounds.

If it's in the book, and it shoots the way you like it. Load the heck out of it. Ignore the club chatter.

Peter

8. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Trust Alliant, rather than what you hear at the club. That the truth.

Alliant make good powder. Use it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best unique loads for12ga