1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I know this has been asked a Million times on here

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by coloradoEMT911, Nov 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coloradoEMT911

coloradoEMT911 Member

I know this has been asked on her ins many different ways but I am going to ask it in my way because it has been on my mind and want to hear more opinions on this sorry if i am a little long winded
    I have been shooting Trap competitively for about 15 years at one,level or another I am only 25 yo so know I have a long time of shooting in front of me , I am a shotgun instructor and a Train the trainer Shotgun instructor, i have taught many kids and adults to shoot trap and number one thing I teach after safety is gun fit that the best gun u can shoot is the one that properly fits u, and I also take this into my own shooting and both my O/U a Verona LX 680 Gold Trap and my single a Browning BT-99 have adjustable soft top combs and adjustable LOP Recoil reducers, I want to get a combo gun so that I can have only one gun so that with both barrels it will feel close to the some as it is hard for me to switch between guns right now mainly shooting the BT-99, and Perazzi makes the gun that is closest to what I want from factory with the MX 2005 because I like a heads up gun with a high rib the only other gun out there is the Caeser Guarini that i have seen, but what bothers me is that the price of the Perazzi +/- $15,000 or the CG +/- $7000 seems to be way out of reach for me in the even close to near future working a Paramedic my salary just does not fit into that and the other options I see are buying a browning and then putting a bunch of add ons on it to make it what i want and I would rather have a gun that is from factory but is it really worth it I see many Citori shooters with hundreds of thousand rounds and still going strong, and not knowing if I will ever beable to afford what i want makes me think it is better to just build me a gun for a 5th the price of the perazzi, as much as I want an MX 2005, would love to hear others ideas on this

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

One suggestion would be to buy a CG with either the single barrel, or O/U's. As money is allowed, add the other barrel to make it a combo.

If this is simply not an option, Check out one of the new 682 unsingle combo's. They are priced really resonable right now. They don't have the really high rib profile, but do get your head up more so than a Browning.

I hope you find something that works.

ss

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

I can't answer your question because frankly I lost interest, but damn if that ain't the longest sentence I've ever seen on TS.com.

4. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Buzz-gun: That makes TWO of us~~~Whew!!

5. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

You didn't say whether your butt pad would adjust or not, if it is an adjustable type you can move the pad down allowing your stock to be mounted higher on your cheek & still maintain an upright stance.

Maybe you should look at a Browning XT combo. You can pick up a nice used one for less than $2,500 & with proper fit it will do what you are asking for in a combo. Lot's of great scores are shot every day with guns that cost far less than the Perazzis or CGs.

Good Luck!

6. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

You are very committed to the sport, and I salute that. However, you don't say what your averages are. The bottom line is, you can't buy a target. If your eyes and reactions are good and you are shooting 95+ in all three events, you don't need a better gun. Live with what you can afford and practice, practice, practice. IMHO

JON

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Well my day is complete now....

8. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

Check out a used Citori Plus. They had an adjustable rib that was quite high and the comb & LOP were adjustable as well.

9. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

I had the opportunity to shoot a friends new Browning Cynergy unsingle combo.
    Wow, what a nice gun for the money. If I could get it past the wife I'd order one tomorrow. I currently shoot a Citori XT and a BT99. It's tempting to trade them both for the Cynergy. I concur that gun fit is paramount and have spent a considerable amount of time achieving it.

Robert

10. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

As evidenced at all competitive sporting events, some people are just mediocre and will never rise above average.

Curt

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Install a Keene rib and buy a used PFS.

12. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

I've told you 10,000 times not to exaggerate!

BB

13. coloradoEMT911

coloradoEMT911 Member

Ok so my grammar sucks, I am sorry for that I am a paramedic not an english major!
    with that being said, though I ahve not shot registered in awhile, i shoot a lot of small events and long range annie oakleys and trying to get back into registered, my average is 96 to 98 singles and 25 yard handicap, I have adjustable but plates on all my guns including my hunting guns, and even the citori plus with an adjustable but plate which I used to shoot the rib was not high enough I shoot a fairly flat shooting gun about 60/4o or 70/30, but I like my guns so that I dont lean over the comb at all that when I put them to my shoulder I am looking down the rib, and the MX2005 and the CG are the only ones that come close with out modification and that is where i am at I like the guns i shoot But want one that I need less modification to fit my style.

and just a side note is that main reason I dont shoot much registered any more though I miss it, is when I go to a shoot I want to shoot not shoot wait 2 hours and shoot I want to shoot from dawn til dusk and I know that I me being young but that is the big appeal to me of the Annie Oakley is if u are shooting well u shoot all day

Thank you for ur replies
    RJ

14. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Go to medical school - become a doctor and then you can afford to trade guns until you think you have what works best for you.

Trapshooting is really just a past-time and not the route to either fame or fortune. Sorry to be the bearer of a sad truth.

15. Baber

Baber TS Member

If high ribs are what you want then I agree that the MX2005/8 are the way to go but you can add a high rib barrel to any Type 4 gun. Consider a used DB81 for example or you can find used MX2005/8's. Yes... there are used MX 2005/8's out there. I know because a friend bought one last year and could not shoot it so it got sold. You will have to look but they are there. Not everyone can shoot what I call the "Brooklyn" model. They buy them and find out they can't shoot them and then they are on the market. You know what you want so start looking.

TB

p.s suggest you throughly investigate CG before you buy.... I mean really read all the posts on this board about them

16. bigmike

bigmike TS Member

my advice for what its worth save up and do alittle less before you know it you will have enough to buy what you want. bottom line is buy the gun you want to begin with because you will never be satisfied unless you do. already been there and done that. shoot well big mike

17. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

Boy I'd sure like to hear your paramedic radio reports, they've got to be really interesting to listen to with as much information as you can cram into a sentence! I was terrible at them, myself, always losing my train of thought, but you don't seem to have that problem!!!

I had a BT99 when I started shooting trap and gradually began to realize I'd have a really difficult time shooting doubles with it. I didn't have the budget to go out and buy a P-gun combo so I got a Beretta 682 Gold E Combo (this was before the unsingle). I put another $900 worth of recoil reducer/4-way-comb/soft comb into it. I've been shooting it for a little over 5 years and am really glad I bought it. You could opt for the unsingle if you like the high-rib. The double bbls have a pretty high rib already.

Take care,

Jennifer, LAFD retired.

18. samiam03

samiam03 Member

My suggestion - claim zero dependents on your withholding and get a fat tax return plus put aside $20 every week. Supposedly good things come to those who wait.

Sam

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.