1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I know Phil is right, but why?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 20yard, Apr 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 20yard

20yard TS Member

I'm working on my gun mount and canting problem, Reading Trap & Field Feb 2009 "THE Secret" by Phil Kiner the article states "More times than not, when someone is canting a gun, it is because the comb is not far enough over (away from the face). Additionally, many times shooters will cant the gun and not even know it, the reason being that you will subconsciously roll the gun into your face to make the beads line up." ... "move your comb away from your face about 1/16" at a time until the rib is straight." Now this describes my problem well however as I move comb away my cant seems worse, and the beads are off even more when I put my 30" o/u barrels on instead of the 34" unsingle. Given I shoot from the 20 yard line and it's Phil's article I know he must be right but it doesn't seems to work for me and the logic doesn't make sense to me, if I roll towards my face wouldn't putting comb closer (less cast off) be better? Is that countered by shifting mount arm pocket, what am I missing?

2. jhoward

jhoward Member

Which way are you canting? In the article Phil states that the MAJORITY of the time the comb is not far enough away from the face, so the gun get's canted into the face. If you are one of the minority who cants away from your face then you may need to move the comb the opposite direction.

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

If you have and adjustable buttplate, the angle it's set at can also have an effect on canting...

4. 20yard

20yard TS Member

I am rolling in towards my face exactly as I understood Phil's description, If I'm reading that wrong and Phil means rolled outward, ie. pushed by face then I would understand it.

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

suggestion, ask Phil.

6. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

It's about getting your head over far enough to line up with the beads. Are you able to get your head over the stock enough to line up the two beads? If not, moving the comb closer will make it worse. You may not have enough cast.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

20Yard- Phil is correct, but there is more to moving the comb than just correcting a cant. Move the comb into a position that allows your gun to come up naturally with the beads aligned and not forcing your head into the gun. Next, rotate the butt pad in the direction needed to correct any cant.

Then go back to the fine adjustments on the comb. If you have to rotate (cant) the gun counter clockwise, for a right hand shooter, to get the beads aligned, move the comb a little away from your face.

Phil was talking about a forced cant required for proper bead alignment. A very small cant is probably not a problem, but canting due to forcing the gun into your face for bead alignment is a problem.

Pat Ireland

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

"gun is canted almost perfectly horizontal to the left"

A GANGSTA trap gun!!!!

LOL

9. Bluerock1

Bluerock1 Member

Sounds like your jaw bone is hitting the stock. The comb and cheek are moving over the jaw can't go any further. You need more clearance for your jaw.
    BR1

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you cant the gun into your face while keeping your head and eyes level you are doing a good thing. Canting the gun in this manner allows you to keep your head and eyes level which promotes stress free allignment of the rib and beads with your dominant eye. HMB

11. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

If your single is lined up and the O/U is not then you need to check to make sure the middle bead on the O/U is centered and not off to the side.

Are you sure the cant is worse? Have you looked into mirror to see what actually is happening.

PM me and I will call you

12. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

Two other actions will cause canting as well...

- "Arm shooting", moving the arms at the shoulders to track the target instead of moving the upper body at the waist; arm shooting changes the shape and position of the shoulder pocket.

- "Rocking at the waist" during the swing; dipping the leading shoulder or rolling the upper bocy during the swing will cause the gun to can. Most right-handed shooters who cant to the left on left swings do it for this reason.

Carol Lister

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.