1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I know it's TS.com, But?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mwm86, Dec 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mwm86

mwm86 Member

I know it

I'm fully aware it's a trapshooters site, but I've seen a few posts for sporting clays. I thouroughly enjoy both games, but am just wondering for those who also enjoy sporting clays, what is the (funnest, most memorable, neatest place) you've had the opportunity to shoot sporting clays. I've seen some pretty amazing courses just looking around online, and wondering who might have got to try some of these courses and which ones would you frequent given the chance. Thanks Bret

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Sporting Clays, with the complex leads required to hit many targets, can only sharpen your shooting skills.

Nash Gun Club has a great course, car/handicap accessible, better targets lately than ever before.

Since this club is 12 miles from my front door, when I do shoot, I generally go there.

Better management, better attitudes there now.

We expect to have City Water pretty soon (FINALLY), thanks to Corporate Sporting shoots. :^)

3. mwm86

mwm86 Member

Thanks for your response shootingcoach, I should probably know this, but I'm pretty new here, Where is Nash located, just would like to try and find some of these courses on line if they're listed. I couldn't agree more on your comment on sharpening your skills shooting the difficult presentations and angles at sporting clays. I'm no advanced trapshooter by any stretch, but I noticed shooting sporting clays improved my trap game at a very rapid pace. Thanks again Bret

4. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

On the east coast, Hopkin's in Maryland. Addieville East Farm for the Ruger Cup, and Peace Dale both in RI. And, for the pure fun of it the monthly LL Bean course in Freeport, Maine that Keith McDonald used to put on in the summer.

Down south it would be Hermitage Farms in Camden, SC run by Joe Cantey, The Cherokee Rose in Griffin, Ga. and the old Blackjack in Orlando for the Seminole Cup.

In the Midwest, the beauty and facilities at Nemacolin in Farmington, PA will knock you, and your wallet out. Hill'n Dale in Medina, Ohio is first class and The Detroit Gun Club is another fine place. Minnesota Horse and Hunt club in Prior Lake is both beautiful and challenging.

In the deep south the National club in SAT, and the Dallas Gun Club always get my attention. Elm Fork outside of Dallas is not to be missed. I've only been to one place in Utah, Wasatch Wing & Clays which had a very nice 5-stand and some very memorable bird hunts.

I've shot a bunch more clubs. It's almost always the friendly people that make a club memorable. Too many of the clubs that occupy my best memories are now closed, or deteriorating. I'm not traveling near as much as I once did, but I still travel with my shotguns and gear bag. Never met a sporting course I didn't like.

IMHO,
    Kip

5. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Kip: I think Peace Dale is closed. Is was in an old sandpit right? All I know over in RI is Addieville East. Also a word on Addieville East. The owner Geoff Gaebe, just died of brain cancer. Earlier this week. Too bad. Lets hope they continue to run that awsome club. Dave T.

6. R.Kipling

Dave,

You must have been an east-coaster at one time?

I did hear that Peace Dale closed, yes, it was in a sand pit & quarry. They had a unique 5-stand. It doesn't surprise me, young Richie was a hard worker but he didn't have the personality of his old man - wonderful curmudgeon. Good memories.

I'm really sorry to hear about Geoff, he was one of the best SC & hunt club owners I've known. I'm going to miss him. I hope Paula and the kids will be able to hold it together. I'm going to pray for them, and the Farm.

For the last 6 years I've been getting my sons and grandkids together for an annual weekend of Sporting, hunting and fishing. Our schedules beat us out of it last year, and I was just about to try to put something together for the end of February for us - to make up for missing October. It can wait now.

Time to write another letter. The older I get the more I write.

THX,
    Kip

7. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Brett, I've never shot a course I did not like!!! Some of the most memorable moments are the ones you make with people you like to shoot with. Your highest score or beating someone you never have been able beat before. Finnally hitting that dropping teal, or Rabbit every time. Every club is different, but yet they are all simular. I live in S. Fla. and would love to shoot in Tenn. on the side of a snow cover mountain. Bottom line is to shoot at as many clubs you can before you can't do it anymore. Then you will have your memories. May they last us all a lifetime. One of mine is finnally breaking a 90, and doing it with the 28 ga. as well. Super Day. If your ever in Florida try to shoot at Quail Creek. Look up the club at QuailCreekPlantaion.com. Break-em all. Jeff

8. RAScott

RAScott Member

In the east Westford Sportsmans Club in Westford Mass. has a nice club and pretty challenging

Bob S

9. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

I have shot Castlewood in New Castle Pa. in eastern Pa., Hill n Dale in Medina, Ohio ( state tournament ), Briar Rabbit in Zanesville, Ohio, Hidden Haven at Lancaster, Ohio and all are challenging and shooter friendly. My home course is BTM Clays by Dellroy, Ohio. Two different courses changed every month, five stand and a pyramid for beginners. Tuff courses and shooter friendly. Our winter league has 48 teams which most consist of 7 to 8 shooters and our summer league last year I think had 12 four man teams. I think our league is the biggest east of the Mississippi. The turn out for league says alot. We have teams from of course Ohio, Pa., WVa., and Canada. lol

10. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

RK; Born and Raised in Connecticut. Still here. Half of my life spent clamming down at Galiee, RI and the other half hunting and fishing in CT.
    Dave T.

11. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

mwm86

There are so many people on this forum that shoot so many different things that anything shooting related is appropriate as far as I'm concerned. Many of my friends shoot Sporting Clays and I've been known to go over to the dark side on the odd occasion. Even shoot Skeet, but don't wear pink.

12. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I enjoyed Myrtlewood Plantation course in Thomasville, GA, now closed, as well as the closed Shotgun Hollow in Cloverdale, IN

13. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

NGC is AKA Tenn Clay Target Complex, Nashville, Tn.

14. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

Pat Lieske's Island Lake and Bald Mountain in SE Michigan are great courses. I prefer the scenery and proximity of the Bald Mountain Course.

The club in Lewiston, Michigan is set on an old ski lodge. It is a great place to shoot, especially when the fall colors are in full swing.

I also very much enjoyed shooting Northbrook in Illinois.

15. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I use to shoot at "Highpoint" across the river from New Orleans..Well run..and 2 sides for a different leval of challenge.. Now I shoot in Italy.. The club in Porticino has 100 different targets a 3 different levals.. ABSOLUTELY first class.. Twice a week..at least 50% of all courses change..Plenty of Loooooooooooooooooooog singles and doubles.. and a good mix of mini;;and regular targets to confuse you..

16. R.Kipling

I'd heard about the Frisella's and Peace Dale, but it looks like they may still be open? I'd not heard about Geoff - Damn - we're loosing way too many good one's. My prayers to Paula, family and Addieville Farm.

Kip

17. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Another vote for Westford SC in Westford, MA....shooting Saturday mornings at 9:30. $15 for the first 50, a second round for another $10. sorry, there should be some photos on the web site! Open to the public for SC on Saturdays and Trap @1 PM on Sundays! FC

18. Draht Guy

Draht Guy TS Member

Elk Creek in Kentucky is a beautiful place to shoot and the wife can keep busy in the winery if shooting isn't her thing. Island Lake and Detroit Gun Club throw some of the best, most sporting targets in the Midwest. You'll get your money's worth there. Although I think Detroit is only usually open to the public once a month for NSCA shoots.

19. 3DHC

3DHC Member

Although I shoot Sporting and Five Stand at various locations, my regular Sporting Clays Club is Moore & Moore near Lake View Terrace, California. Nice friendly people, great target setting and few mechanical problems.

Next month (end of February) there is going to be a Ducks Unlimited Registered Shoot at Desert Hills near Boulder City, Nevada. Its a three (3) day event. I attended last years shoot and must say it was the best run shoot I have ever experienced. Scorer's on each station and rotations that functioned like clockwork. Its a big course with all kinds of target presentations and each day we found the settings were a little more difficult than the preceding day.

I used to be an avid Trapshooter for 15 years or so but have lost interest in Trap lately. Sporting Clays is now my obsession.

Butch Hampton

20. mwm86

mwm86 Member

Hey Butch, a friend and I will be attending that DU shoot in Vegas. Glad to hear all the positives about it, we are both very excited to get to go, Thanks Bret

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.