1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I just roughed in my stock for new High Rib

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Feb 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I just roughed in my 11-87 Straight Stock w/Bondo with High Rollover Monte Carlo, waiting for my High Rib to come for final fitting and Painting the stock and forend. I got the Paint it is Dark Silver Metallic Auto Paint
    donated to me for the job, May have some Artistic Work done on it too.

This is another high shooter but not as high as my Caesar Guerini, going to use it for Sporting Clays and Doubles and Buddy Shoots.

POI is going to be roughly 100% per my specs. This is an add on rib being attached to the 11-87 rib.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

pics????

tony

3. Dr.Longshot

Will post pics when I get the Rib.

Thanx

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

4. butcher

butcher Member

Sounds like were having fun now.

5. Dr.Longshot

I just got the rib today, and I just cleaned the add on rib and the 11-87 rib w/alcohol and applied the adhesive, and taped it down, waiting for the adhesive to set before removing the tape and excessive adhesive.

I am going to wait a couple of days for the adhesive to setup.

Then will sand the comb for my sight picture and then will paint the stock and forearm Silver Metallic.

Will call the gun Quicksilver, may have my son add some scenery or a lightning bolt.
    drlongshot_2008_030312.jpg

6. Dr.Longshot

This is the stock w/bondo Comb in the rough

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

7. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Love the smell of bondo in the morning.

8. racer

racer TS Member

If that comb is solid bondo- I would wait awhile to paint. I think it cracks when using that much in one sitting..... Dan

9. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

Just a tip. I make pattern stocks with Bondo and have found the "short hair" fiberglass stuff to be superior for what I call high-build or structural changes. The regular stuff is great for low-build and smooth finishing but, as others suggested, can be fragile and crack. For a comb that high you might consider pine scabs first.

10. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Nice use of electrical tape and butt crack spackle.

11. Dr.Longshot

The comb is secured very well with Long screws drilled into the sock and bondo was built up gradually, I have it roughed in and am going to try it out tonite and see how the POI is, by my calculations it should shoot 18" inches high, which is the same as a Seitz w/# 2 1/2 high shooting rib. I called and talked to Richie today for rib taper comparasions. I will know by 8:00pm tonite.

I may get a Wenig stock made after I get it done and they can use this for a Pattern.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

12. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Gary I think this would help you. When i make any bondo additions that are 1/4 inch or more I anchor the bondo to the wood with bamboo cooling skewers. Get the ones just about 1/8 inch and a long drill just a bit larger than the skewers and then coat the skewers with epoxy and insert in to holes drilled threw the bondo into the wood.

If you have any questions PM me and i'll send you my phone#

Joe goldberg

13. Dr.Longshot

Gubfitter I have built up several other combs with bondo, I sand the comb to bare wood and then Install 3 Drywall screws in the comb after drillinig 3/16ths
    holes for the screws and then build up the bondo around them. Always adding bondo before it completely cures so it makes a good bond, never had any problems, I was going to go to my sons bodyshop and use his DA to finish the sanding but his compressor has a problem w/pressure switch, have to wait until he gets it fixed. I did not get to shoot it tonite as the release trigger did not set, getting rteady to see what the problem is with it, it is a Timney Steel trigger assy, it worked before, then switched to the pull trigger so a lady could shoot the gun.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

14. Dr.Longshot

I have my stock finished sanded and sanded the forearm and it is being painted as I write this, I had several options on colors Silver and Remington STS green
    Left it up to my son on which he thinks will look best, we are both leaning to the STS green w/remington logos. Will take a few more days for paint to be done and clear coated and logos installed. Remington is sending me the logos and they want to see the finished product.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

15. Dr.Longshot

Due to my sons work schedule it took longer than expected to get the stock painted, well we got it painted and clear coted today, waiting for it to dry overnight, will pick it up tomarrow, still waiting for the LOGO's from Remington.

But will be shooting it this week and will post a photo of the finished product
    by Friday.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

16. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I can't wait to see it. I think it will come out nice.

17. Dr.Longshot

Here they are

18. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

Gary I only see the Forend.
    Don

19. Dr.Longshot

Here is another pic

20. Dr.Longshot