1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I JUST HIT THE LEWIS CLASS, NOT ONCE, NOT TWICE?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Feb 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    in my area we have hot shots that shoot the winter events at local clubs on the weekends. usually it is roughly the same people who win. i have been shooting since 1972 and i have hit roughly 30-to 40 lewis class events over the years. i haven't hit a lewis class in years. i am not good enough to hit the winning score, but i just never seem to hit the right number. usually i hit one to many targets or shoot one less than i needed to hit the lewis. these top shots shoot good enough to hit the high score, but when they shoot again, they just happen to hit the second and sometimes even the third lewis. is this just plain luck? in dead of winter, one will break a 50, 46, a 42. they look at the score board and some how shoot the correct scores to hit the lewis class. is this an art to do this, or is it just good luck? whats the secret?
    steve balistreri

2. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

Steve,no shooter can figure out the magic number to hit a lewis unless it's the high score.Then you don't have to figure.You have to take in the number of shooters,the weather,which will reflect the scores,There is no secret or art to it.At a big shoot it can't be done.I think it's called the luck of the draw.
    As you said just plain luck.

Bocephas

3. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

BrownST100,

Please read the last sentence in the third paragraph of the TS.Com suggestions written below. Thanks.

BB

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You do not have a clue. HMB

5. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Vern,

When I read the threads by HMB and FlaLagarto I felt I made a mistake (even though I said please and thanks)because I respect both of those guys and have over the years. I figured you must be pretty special.

Now, after reading your comments, I can see why you're held in such high esteem. Why should you follow the same rules as us commoners? And, though you are a bit LOUD, I believe with some training you could turn out to be a real sweetheart. Now, GFY.

BB

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

This thread seems to have degenerated rather quickly.

I know many shooters who will never play a high gun purse but will play a Lewis purse. But, if a Lewis purse pays three places, actually 1/3 of the purse is a high gun purse.

Last year, I played the Lewis purse at every large shoot I attended and I had pledged to send my winnings to the ATA Hall of Fame. My total entry fees were $1010. I got back $728. I sent the $728 to the H of F and it only cost me $1010 to make this donation. Which number should I put down on my income tax form?

Pat Ireland

7. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

I don't read Steve's thread as saying he won anything although the title to the thread would indicate otherwise. I read his thread as saying the winter shoot big dogs not only shoot the top score but also hit the 2nd and 3rd lewis. He's wondering if its luck or target management. I'd say it is some of both. If you go back and look at what score hits the 2nd and 3rd lewis each week, it is frequently the same score each week. In the summer, your small weekend shoots show the same thing. 89 seems to hit the lewy in Caps frequently.

8. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Depends on your accountant Pat. A good one might use the $1,738. I get nervous when you ask how much is 2 and 2 and they reply "what do you need it to be?" I always play the lewis, don't know why because it's a poor gamble as you have demonstrated. With your ability you probably got most of your money from the high gun portion. I'm glad I don't track mine. Shoot well and often while we can, Bob

9. senior smoke

i love shooting. i can't tell you how much joy i get from hitting a lewis now and then. i am not in this sport for the money, but it is fun to hit a lewis once in awhile. i have 2 things going against me, my lack of trapshooting talent, and i guess i am just not lucky. some of the top shots in the area should bet on the lottery as they are constantintly hitting lewis class purses. i wish i had their talent and some of their luck too.
    steve

10. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Steve.....I also apologize for the disruption. Over the many months, I have enjoyed the varied subjects of your threads.

BB

11. senior smoke

booger blue- i enjoy all of your comments.
    steve

12. Smity

Smity Member

You guys need therapy!

Smity

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.