1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I imagine this will be illegal in your nation...

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by ljutic73, Jan 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I imagine my single shot bolt action Sako will be illegal because it has a thumbhole stock?.....$#%$#%$#% ridiculous. Glad I live in Alberta...
    ljutic73_2008_030377.jpg

2. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

In case you hadn't noticed, it appears that you had a very large knot just above the grip, which has recently fallen out.

Easy fix, though. Just mix up a softball-size glob of JB weld and form it into the existing hole. Let cure thoroughly and shape with a rasp or a barlow knife. A quick coat of Krylon in the color of your choice and it'll be good as new. Hell, it may even be better, as it certainly will be stronger!

All kidding aside, that is one beautiful rifle!

Kiv

3. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I have the same stock on one of my 700's I was wondering if it will too be illegal

Guess if it is I will be breaking the law

4. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Got a similiar piece of wood on my Savage 243Win...pisses me off to think of it

5. ljutic73

Thanks Kiv,for the heads up on the flaw in my stock!!LOL...been wonderin' fer years what the hell happened to it!!LOL.....Tucson gunsmith Harry Lawson, who turned the stock for me as I watched, is undoubtedly spinning in his grave, along with Bill Jordan, Elmer Keith, Jack O'Connor, Frank Pachmyr and all the other rifle gurus of the past....

Ron Burr

6. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Sure is some differnt pattern, very very pretty Ron. Do you remember what the species is and how about the calibre? Great looking rifle, something to really enjoy.

7. crusha

crusha TS Member

That's a very pretty custom Sako you have there. What caliber?

8. ljutic73

Here's the story on the rifle. I built it in 1980-81. The action is a Sako medium length single shot bench rest action. The cut rifled barrel came from Wm. Hobaugh in , Phillipsburg, MT. and it's chambered in 7mm-08 Rem. The stock wood is exhibition grade Hawaiian Curly Koa from Ernie Paulsen in Chinook, Montana. I took it to Harry Lawson Co. in Tucson, where Harry turned it in his Cochise Thumbhole pattern and added the Tiger Maple grip and tip caps and his signature for end inlay. He also supplied the bolt shroud that I had fitted here by my gunsmith, the late Ron Propp. I did the inletting and finishing myself.

Ron Burr
    Lethbridge, AB

9. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Gorgeous Ron, thank you for the history on it.

10. turmite

turmite Member

Ron do you have any idea what happened to Harry's self built duplicator and patterns. I have always admired that stock......ok, lusted is more like it! I love beautiful wood and beautiful design, and that has both!

Mike

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land

View attachment 198051

My clearly sporting Ruger 10-22 will be banned because it has (gasp!) a threaded barrel!

View attachment 198052

Ditto for my clearly sporting Browning Buckmark target pistol. It also has (oh the horror!) a threaded barrel.

What a bunch of horsecrap. What possible difference on crime does a threaded barrel make? And, I don't see an exemption in the proposed law for screw in choke tubes.

12. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Oh, but Brian,,,,,,,the government won't come after sporting guns,,,,,,only the BAD guns,,,,,,,,wait until someone gets stopped by a newbie on the job and confiscates someone's K-80, SS, Perazzi and takes them to the station,,,,,,,,and all the efforts that it will take them to get the guns back........

13. ljutic73

The last time I was in Harry's shop was 1983 when he turned a stock for my .338, so I can't tell you what's happened to it since then. It was quite a machine. 4 or 5 spindles as I remember. And he had literally hundreds of pattern stocks hanging from the ceiling in the duplicating room. The last I read was that Harry's son had taken over the business after Harry died but I don't know how current the info was or if the company still exists. The shop did some first rate metal work in addition to his stock work. The last time I inquired as to getting a supplied blank turned I thought the labor cost had gotten a bit steep, given how long it actually takes to do the rough turning and inlet which I had witnessed....an hour to 90 minutes tops.

Ron Burr

14. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Ljutic73: If you lived in the U.S. you would have to plug the thumbhole. How about we send you some of our Einstein politicians up there to you? BT100dc

15. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Aren't bolt action rifles exempt? HMB

16. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Than is one handsome rifle!

17. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

ljutic73

Did you mean "would be", not "will be"...?

18. ljutic73

Yes, Scooterbum, "would be" is correct grammar....

Ron

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.