1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I hit the mother load, need someone good at math?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, May 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    I was at a friends house yesterday and he made me an offer that I think I should not refuse. He has been reloading since the 60's and when he reloaded what he thought was a bad shell he discard the shell into a huge barrel. He loaded for his entire squad that he shot with for years.

They no longer shoot and the barrel is full and he estimates at least 10,000 shells are in that barrel? He asked if I want to move the barrel out of his house, I can keep the contents and take a part the shells.

Majority of the shells are once fired AA hulls, AA wads, hard 7 1/2 shot, Winchester primers, and red dot powder. If his guess of 10,000 shells is anywhere near accurate, I will have 10,000 once fired AA hulls, 10,000 AA primers, 10,000 AA wad's.

Here's my question, he dropped 18 grains of red dot, and 1 1/8 oz of hard shot. Roughly how many pounds of powder, and how many pounds of shot will I roughly have after I spend the time opening up these shells?

I will not be slicing up the hulls as I want to keep them. I will be opening the shell up by means of prying open the crimp, and using a needle nose pliers to extract the wad.

Is it even worth my time?
    Steve Balistreri

2. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

If it were me I would forget about saving the hulls, use a good hull cutter & save everything else. I think it would certainly be a good deal for you.

3. senior smoke

hunter44:
    I would hate to ruin 10,000 once fired AA's.
    Steve

4. kfbagt

kfbagt Member

703 pounds of lead but you'll never saw all of those shells and there's no way all of those primers will still go bang. I sat out to manually disassemble 100 that I put together with a bad recipe and after about 5 I said screw it.

Good luck.

5. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Hunter44 is correct!

Getting the wad out will not be easy! ... And ... if you get it out, powder will fly everywhere!

Invest in an 'unloader' and save everything except the hull.

You will get a lil over 25 pounds of powder and over 780 pounds of shot.

6. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Steve, I would not screw with the emptys. Your hands will be so sore after about 100 rounds you will start cutting them.

If the guy is 100% sure it is all red dot you might save the powder. Keep in mind that it is from many diffrent lots of powder. the book says not to ever mix them and I can't say it's a good idea to do so biut I can't say that I have not done it either with partials.

If it was me? Screw the cases and the powder. The wad is easy to get or screw that as well. I would just get the shot and the primer. I know that a 55 gallon drum holds about 8000 empty cases.

28 pounds of powder x 7000 grains per pound divided by 18.5 is 10,059 rounds.

So 3.5 8n pounders of Red dot at 100 each is 350.00 bucks worth of powder.

Wads ar worth what? 80 bucks a case? So another 160 for the wads.

Shot is worth call it 28 sacks for 1 1/8 oz loads x 30.00 per sack is 840.00

Primers are worth another 300 bucks.

so your time is worth somewhere around 1650.00

The emptys are worth between 300 to 500 but they will be all screwed up at the crimp and will be funky for ever after. The time it would take to pry them apart will make it not worth messing with.

Me? I wouldn't screw with it if you paid me but you asked what you thought it is worth. Jeff

7. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

P.S... I disagree that the primers will not go bang. If these shells were reloader screw ups that went straight into the bin and have never got wet or been exposed to the elements they will go bang. Jeff

8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

That would be 25.77 Pounds of Red Dot at 18 Grains per shell.
    $289.75 for Red Dot Powder @ $89.95 per 8 lb = 3.22 kegs of powder
    $300 for the primers
    $300- $500 for the empties
    $200 for the wads
    shot 10,000 Divided by 355.5=28 bags of shot x$40.00=$1120.00

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

9. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

The emptys won't be worth shit because they will be all messed up.

10. thunder

thunder Active Member

760lbs of shot at todays prices is worth 1200.00, primers worth at least 225.00 (and they should go bang, done it many times). I would throw the hulls and take apart with the unloader.

11. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Lode

12. senior smoke

Thanks for your comments and calculations. I sure would hate to ruin all those hulls. Now regarding the powder? There is Red dot from the 60's all through 2000 in that barrel. With different recipes of Red dot through out the years, plus different lots etc, what is the best way to dispose of it?
    Steve

13. senior smoke

My wife just said to me that I am retired, you have all the time to take a part each shell. She said it will give me something to do.
    Steve

14. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I think you should tell your wife that ladies are better at that type of thing because they have more patients and to let you know when she is done ... Then walk out the door and go shooting ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

15. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

You need an "Unloader" and at least one extra blade.

grntitan_2009_2503126.jpg

16. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Forget the hulls and salvage the innards.

I was gifted with 22 flats of reloads when a club member died. His reloading was shaky at best so I disassembled all 22 flats using an aluminum shell cutter I bought from a guy on this forum years ago.

Once I got the system worked out I could easily open a flat and recover everything but the primers in 3-4 hours. The primers I recovered separately after the hulls were empty and I have yet to find one (Federals and Winchesters) that doesn't light off when struck.

MK

17. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

shoot the ones you can shoot and disassemble the rest. Just remember if they are plastic wads and are over about 20 years old, they get brittle and will shatter or crush if you try to load them. I had a bunch of AA's wads that were in plastic sacks (before they were in cardboard boxes) and they all shattered.

18. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

I inherited some hunting shells from the 60's, in the 90's. They would not kill a squirrel. They were no longer viable. It was something to watch the shell knock a squirrel out of a tree, watch the squirrel fly down 60 feet, like Rocky, then dust itself off, and run back up the tree!

19. Aintlost

Aintlost Member

Steve, I would cut the hulls, save the shot and not be concerned with he hulls or primer. You could mix all the red dot together and try to reuse it, if it doesn't reload, get rid of it. Nothing lost and you maximized you time an efforts.
    Lane

20. davetrack

davetrack TS Member

shoot em and save the hulls

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.