1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

"I heard the shot hit the target"

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by fishguts, Dec 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fishguts

fishguts Member

So we're shooting protections one night and #1 shot misses and the back-up misses also. The guy pulling says to the #2 shooter "I heard the shot hit the target but it didn't break". Is this possible?....not the missing, but the statement?

Wayne

2. Rays

Rays TS Member

I could hear it when I was younger,but now,according to my wife,I can't hear sh##t. Ray S

3. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Seems unlikely that someone could hear a lead bead hit a claybird at approx 40 yards. Mike.

4. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

I don't have good hearing, but many times I can hear the shot hit a singles target.

Danny

5. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I could many-many years ago, if I was off to one side & a little behind the shooter, kind of a slap or smack sound. But now I seem to be in the same boat with Ray S. at least according to my wife but she "now" talks so softly that I can't hear her unless she's facing me so I can read her lips. Ross Puls

6. deadpair51

deadpair51 Member

Years ago I was at a Sporting Clay shoot and as a side "game " they had a balloon shoot. Helium balloons were set aloft ,who ever made the longest shot won . It got to a point where you could actually hear the shot bouncing of the balloons. I'd like to try that again someday , fun!

7. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

We pick up target to re use in the skeet houses. It is amazing how many targets have 1 to 4 holes and did not break. I have only seen a couple with 4 holes, but alot have 2.

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I can hear shot hitting the targets when I'm in the house loading the machine. On the line - no way. For one thing I have ear plugs in and then there is the muzzle blast.

I suppose it is possible to hear this because it does make noise but I would think it is more of a myth.

9. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Yep, can hear a loud "clang" when it hits but doesn't break those Champion targets....

10. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

If you can hear the shot hit the target with your ear protection on, then it might not be working fully to your advantage; if you can hear the shot hit the target because you don't have ear protection on then it won't be too awfully long until you can't hear it anymore.

rm

11. razor

razor TS Member

i can hear the shot hit the target once in a while it's more of a "tink" sound like dropping a target on concrete. ditto for my wife. merry christmas to all

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Easy to hear from inside the trap house.

HM

13. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Ross ... same problem with my wife!

BUT ... I can hear her very well when she is mad at me!

14. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Could hear it many times years ago when I was sitting birds in the trap house and it was freezing out side. It would echo back in the trap house like it was tin. Hell now I can't hear the phone ring when I am right beside it. Bill

15. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

I can hear it hit the shot curtains, but I have never heard shot hitting a target.

16. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I HAVE HEARD SHOT HIT THE TARGET "TINK" BUT NOW UP IN YEARS I CAN HEAR IT WHEN I WEAR MY ELECTRONIC MUFFS IF MUFFS DO NOT GO INTO SILENCE MODE.

17. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

18. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

Ive heard shot hitting targets many times. especially when observing a shoot off in which the shooters move off to the side and I remain on the 27 yd line. the shooters are far enough away that there muzzle blast is "quieter" but im close enough to hear shot "ping" off the target. I think this mostly happens when the shooter shoots over the target and the fringe of the pattern hits the top of the dome. You can almost judge the size of the shot being used my how loud the "ping" is. as the shot size increases the sound it makes becomes more "hollow" when it hits a target. BYG

19. likemybrownings

likemybrownings Active Member

OH yeah, I have heard shot hit the target but it not break, IT IS at the clubs that throw cast iron targets set up just for me after I squad. A little orange dust, tink, loss. I know I nailed it though??
    Dave B

20. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

I here it at almost every shoot while refereeing or keeping score, but some of our clubs here use cheap shit imported targets, some are as hard as a bulls head, and really rattle, others smash all over the plate!!

Personally I have seen a 'Sagittario' brand clay target with 7 holes in it unbroken, and a matterelli brand target that had 8 pellet marks on it but no holes, also unbroken.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

what noise do you hear when you hit the target