1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I heard a gun blow up last night

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Ertz, Apr 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ertz

Ertz Member

First night of league at Minneapolis Gun club last night. Actually practice night. We have two squads and I was waiting for my squad's turn when all of a sudden I heard this incredible boom!!!!! It scared the bejeebers out of us and we immeadiately looked over to the field next to us and there was someone on station two (I think) and he was bent over with one hand on his face and one hand on his left shoulder. People were gathering round and he stood up with one hand still on his left shoulder. I saw someone walk over between stations three and four about 20 feet back from the pad and he picked up the guys barrel. As I watched others picked up what remained of his gun. I couldn't believe how far the barrel traveled and I could not tell how many pieces there were.

Bottom line: No one was hurt (as far as I know). I am not sure what happened, and I am not sure anyone else does either. I heard it was his first shot of the night so I would assume barrel obstruction of some sort.

Makes you take a step back and think though.

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Pilgrims and Bunny Busters are notorious for barrel obstructions.....same type of mentality as a person shooting themselves while cleaning a gun. Glad no one was hurt.

Curt

3. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

This got me thinking. I don't think I ever check my barrel before I shoot. If I do, it's a subconscious thing. I also break down my gun and store it the case until next time so one would think no chance of something getting into the barrel.

From now on I will just take a peek down the tube while I'm putting it together and before the first shot.

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

It can happen. Years ago at the Gun Club in Warsaw Indiana ( BK do you remember this one) One of the shooters brought a model 12 that he had just purchased ( a nice expensive one) first shot blew up his barrel. I check mine before shooting and a lot in between ever since that day.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Tests by the NRA and Bruce Bowen demonstrated that it is difficult to blow up a gun with a simple barrel obstruction

Pat Ireland

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Never heard that before Pat, interesting

7. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

so would metal fatigue alone cause something like this, or does there need to be another component like obstruction or "hot" load?

8. Boxer

Boxer TS Member

Maybe it was a bad load in the shell???

9. JDinTX

JDinTX Member

I remember the Bruce Bowen thread, it was very interesting. I thought that gun was gonna blow each day he tested it, but never did. JD

10. docrtaylor

docrtaylor TS Member

did it happen to be a kreigoff?

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

When Winchester came out with the model 59 fiberglass wrapped stainless steel tubed guns. Reps would place a 20 bore shell in front of the 12 shell as one of their tricks to demonstrate the barrels strength. It always blew out the 20 ga shell with no damage to the bore.

Metal fatigue or internal metal flaws probably cause most mishaps in shotguns that come apart. Hap

12. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I witnessed a Model 58 blow up in 1968. Seems the kid thought it was great fun to add some additional shot to his reloads. I heard the boom and watched the barrel corkscrew over the traphouse.

Not all 58's were immune to blowups!!

13. k3uro

k3uro Member

Hey,

I put a 20 gauge through my BT 99. Kind of a jolt, would not advise trying it but mine survied with no harm.

I checked the last 1100 barrel that blew up here and with out a doubt it was the the barrel that blew. It was cracked, had been for some time. Start of the crack was all blackened but the rest was bright. Everyone said it was a bad shell but the barrel had been cracked for some time. No one wanted to believe it.

Metal fatique is real and the result is cracks.

Just a comment take care,

Jim

14. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

"...some have multiple teeth..." Cracks me up.
    I hear one the other day after an awards ceremony, "show us your belt buckle, Fred. Once you put it on we won't see it again!"

LOL

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.