1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I have some history to share!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bruce Specht, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

For those of you that are interested, I have some old publications on the propogation of two game birds. I have one from 1948 on Grouse in Ohio I have one on Pheasant in Ohio from the same time period. I also have a publicaiton from Illinois on Pheasant from 1939 these are all from the then DNR of these states. If you'd like to read them send me a message and I'll mail them to your address. The only thing I ask is that after you've read them you make the same offer to share the publications with others on this site. and mail them on to someone that's interested. At some point I'd like to get them back home. I found them to be interesting reading.

2. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

Unfortunately, pheasant and Bob White's are pretty much gone from the Ohio wilds. Shame, I miss the sounds of the BW's I thought were so cool as a young man out "hunting" those cherry pickers with my Daisy.

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Bruce, You have a PM

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Bruce, I'd love to read these publications! Is there any way to copy them to a PDF format so it's easier to share and you could keep the originals?

Thanks guy! Hap

5. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Bruce, if you want them copied and put in PDF send them to me. I will have daughter copy and put in an E mail so you can send them out and will return the originals to you. Mike.

6. esetter

esetter Active Member

Grouse are pretty much a dead issue in Ohio as well. The state has done nothing to help them out and all of the Mead paper company land has been sold. Wayne National forest has done no cutting for years and Shawnee National forest has just started doing some cutting so habitat has gone to hell in Ohio. Add to that the fact that few people now trap so there are coons, skunks, possums, hawks, owls, and now coyotes eating eggs, chicks, and adult birds and grouse don't stand a chance. I've been on the Cincinnati Chapter Committee of Ruffed Grouse Society for 27 years and we just stopped having a banquet because we have seen no one willing to do anything in the state to help grouse. If it ain't deer or turkey it ain't getting any help! We now spend at least two weeks a year in Wisconsin so we can work our setters on grouse. Five years ago I hunted grouse in Ohio at least one day a week every week from Nov. thru Feb. I've been once this year and all of my friends are the same. I don't even carry a gun here now because I feel guilty if I happen to see a bird and kill it. Sorry, just venting here about a great game bird that is gone.

7. Hap MecTweaks

esetter, your post is spot on and SO true!! The state has done little to bring back the Bobwhites that once covered the state of Ohio also! The hard freezing winter of 1977 destroyed the quail population throughout Ohio. My brother and I while chasing grouse during that winter found entire coveys of Bobs backed together and either starved or froze to death! It was a sickening sight for sure! We never shot another quail there since!

Now the prices of turkey and deer tags are high on their priority list only! Such a shame for the former upland hunters and fine gamebirds too!

Hap

8. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

While I agree that the game birds are dwindling, and the State is lax, I believe that there is another place to lay the blame, as well. Us.

When I was young, growing up in Ohio, I trapped all winter - for everything. Besides providing some real outdoor adventure and pocket cash, it kept the predators in check. I also plowed and planted in the summer, and in the fall to maintain habitat for the Pheasants that I grew up hunting.

I kept a journal, I only missed 12 hunting days in 8 years at home. Put myself through my 1st year of college with fur money. We don't do that anymore, and what's worse, we don't provide for our children and grandchildren so they can, either.

You want to look for someone to blame for the loss of habitat and conditions - look in the mirror, first. Get out and join the Pheasant's Forever or Quail Forever chapters and get active - again! Big government isn't natures nanny, it's there to take your money and give patronage to their supporters.

It's always been the few, highly dedicated individuals that make things happen. Hell, every night you go to the club you can point those guys out. They are the one's volunteering, actually in the trenches keeping the gate open and the clays flying.

If you have a little acreage, you can raise your own birds for release. If you do, I'd suggest some Predator hunting (also fun for grandkids) before you do. There is still a small market for fur, and the Internet is a prime place to find Taxidermists that will buy what you remove from your habitat. Our efforts paid for a nice Foxpro caller and case of 22Mag this year. You'd be surprised how many farmers are happy to clear their predators. And, PF & QF are great places to find those farmers.

Before you snipe at me, I already do everything that I've proposed to you here. I grew up in a farm conservation family. My Dad was Conservationist of the year in Ohio 4 times. At 90+, he still sits on a tractor wheel while I get the fall seeder ready. My not-so-local grandson's are out filling the deer & bird feeders every night after school. It's what they do to earn Pheasant hunting privileges on nearby farms. And, our all important big family bird hunts in October.

We have to teach them, but we have to do, learn and remember ourselves, too.

IMHO,
    Kip

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Bruce is sending them to me. I will forward to Hap first. If it is possible to copy and send to all I will

10. Hap MecTweaks

Thanks Lou and Bruce!!

R.Kipling, how right you are guy and lucky to be raised and continue living on a farm too! All of my family farm I was raised on is now broken into several plots and I still have a few acres where my permanent home is located. Family farms are disappearing almost as fast as our hunting heritage is! Your efforts in educating your kids are to be applauded and it's too sad more can't be taught the same way. Our cities have grown too large with country folks taking refuge there in hopes of making ends meet. Joining groups as you mentioned may be our last hope to continue our hunting heritages too! There's strength in numbers for a good cause but our country is overwhelmed with city dwellers that have no inkling of what we're talking about and vote accordingly. If we don't at least try, we can't prevail. Thank you for your great post guy!

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.