1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I have never heard of this, could this be true?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Apr 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    I spoke to a shooter out at the local gun club this weekend. We started talking about the old Milwaukee gun club on the shores of lake Michigan. He told me that his uncle use to shoot for Schlitz brewing company back in the 50's. I remember seeing shooters wearing shooting vest with the name Schlitz on their back years ago too.

He told me that Schlitz paid shooters including his uncle to shoot at tournaments throughout the country in which Schlitz paid for their shooting and all expenses. I told him I never heard of that. I believe Schlitz paid for the shooting vest and entry into the league, but can't believe they paid for shooters to shoot and travel the country.

Anyone know anything about this?
    Steve Balistreri

2. Captain Bud

Captain Bud TS Member

Hey Steve,

Yes this was done

I was Captain of what was the last(to my knowledge)corporate sponsored "Team Budweiser" trap shooting team in the United States. I am not sure if it continues since the buy out.

I retired in 2005 and the team was still going when I left.

The Team shot at shoots in California, Nevada, and Arizona. I traveled to Baltimore, Silver Dollar, Illinios, Wisconsin, Sioux Falls, and El Reno to shoot in charity type shoots, representing Budweiser. I shoot in the Hollywood Celebrity shoot in Las Vegas and in North Hollywood.

The team was always appreciated and accepted wherever we traveled.

I miss the other guys, several have died in the last couple of years.

The corporate folks wanted to mingle with the shooting public. Remember at one time Budweiser and Remington sponsored a NASCAR team.

Philip M.Santos Capt. (Retired) Team Budweiser

3. senior smoke

P.M. Santos:
    Thank you for the information. Certainly sounds like you had a good time shooting on Team Budweiser.
    Steve

4. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

"the old Milwaukee" gun club on the shores of lake Michigan, has a nice ring to it somehow. I'm not shooting too well today but at least I'm not shooting like Schlitz LOL. I bet that team took some joking.

5. senior smoke

sliverbulletexpress:
    Back in the 50's I believe Schlitz was the #1 beer in Milwaukee. I had 3 uncles that worked for Schlitz on the third shift here in Milwaukee. Their last name was DiMaggio like the famous ball player. That's all my relatives ever drank because they use to get a case of shorts each for $1.00 or $2.00? Maybe I am wrong but one of my uncles said that Schlitz out sold Bud at one time??? All I can say is when I was a young shooter going to the Milwaukee gun club seeing these veteran shooters with their beautiful Schlitz vest with patches sewn on them was very impressive to me. I believe I was told that there was a waiting list to get on that team?
    Steve

6. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Smoke, I am sure that in the early sixties, my support paid for several shoots for that Schlitz team. J.W.

7. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Schlitz advertised "The beer that made Milwaukee famous" Was a good beer

8. TC

TC TS Member

Schlitz, Metz, and Storz. Those were the days!

9. senior smoke

J.Woolsey:
    That's funny!
    Steve

Three Yellow Dogs:
    Corporate team sponsors were the way to go. Days long gone.
    Steve

trim tab:
    Kids that live in Milwaukee today probably never heard of Schlitz. When I was a kid adults in Milwaukee drank Schlitz, Miller, Pabst, Blatz. You'd be run out of town if someone saw you drink Bud back then. Because my relatives worked at Schlitz my dad would tell me not to tell my uncles that he was drinking Blatz because they would have gotten angry.
    Steve

TC:
    I never heard of Metz, or Storz?
    Steve

10. senior smoke

Before I forget, when I was in highschool on a Friday night we had a false ID and we got a 6 pack of Gettelman bottles for .89 cents. The very first beer a friend gave me at his house was called 905 beer. Probably no one ever heard of it. Worst beer in highschool I ever tasted was Mickey's in a large mouth bottle. Gettelman and Hamm's beer were the cheapest beer if I remember correctly. Hamm's was made in the land of sky blue waters.
    Steve

11. quartering

quartering Active Member

strogh's beer. was brewed in detroit. i had a guy who worked for me who was sponsored by winchester until the mid 80's. i wonder if they still sponsor shooters to promote their guns and ammo?

12. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

Schlitz was #1 beer brewer in 1950

Lou

13. WWB

WWB Member

Hi Beer Drinkers--
    Hamm's was a really good beer when I was growing up in Mankato in the 50's! Then thier ads with the bear made them really popular and they got the "growth" sickness & the quality of the beer rapidly disappeared. Got so it tasted alot like Olympia--just colored water--wouldn't hardly even foam when poured straight to the bottom of a schooner!! But Minnesota had some good ones--Grain Belt/ Kato Beer/ Schmidt --ahhh- a Keg, the Beach Boys an L&M, and a convertible--sure wish we didn't have to grow up
    Bill

14. senior smoke

Lou:
    Thanks for the chart. It makes me wonder how did Anheuser-Busch, Inc. get so large as they are today?
    Steve

15. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

Hey Mable! Black Lable! Carling Black Lable Beer!!!!!!!!

I liked Schaefer too!

Worst....Stag!!!

16. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I drank a few Schlitz's in my time, the old steel can and a church key, those were the days. Funny how a lot of things I thought were real good back then don't seem so great now.

Stag the worst beer? I believe that title belongs to that generic beer that was in a plain white can and it just said in black block letters "BEER", that was hard to drink and even harder to keep down. It was cheap though.

It's funny now how we used to blame our puking episodes and rough hangovers on bad beer. It couldn't have been that you drank 26 of them on top of a pint of Ten High on top of a greasy bologna sandwich with a big slug of peach schnapps to end the night, NAH no way it had to be the crappy beer.

17. mike cross

mike cross TS Member

Thanks for the memories.

18. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I used to love Schlitz beer, but after Strohs bought them out it never tasted the same. Schmidts beer wasn't too bad for being cheap.

19. old folks

old folks TS Member

In the Punchbowl area in Korea, in 1952 and 1953, Schlitz is the only beer we could get. We could get all we wanted, for ten cents can.
    Old Folks

20. gordy h

gordy h Member

Wow,bringing back the good times, great club,broke my 1st 100 st there.
    Seniorsmoke,Do you know what happend to the wood gun and 100 st name plack
    that was in the club house? Anyone have a club patch,I'd like to buy one for my collection. Thanks for the memories. Butch H

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.