1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I have a question....

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by redhawk44, Nov 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

OK, for you guys who shoot release triggers, what happens when you pick up an ordinary shotgun or a handgun or rifle that has a standard pull trigger?

What I mean is, do you ever catch yourself pulling the trigger, subconsciously expecting it to merely set the trigger instead of dropping the hammer?

Now boys, I am not trying to be smart about it, but it does seem to me that release triggers can foster a pretty bad habit...or mindset, if you prefer.

2. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

I don't find it a problem to shoot skeet or Sporting clays or to hunt with a pull trigger. I think the difference lies in the fact that I shoot all of them with the gun off my shoulder. Trap is the only game I utilize a release trigger and if I didn't have a flinch problem, I probably wouldn't use one there. It does make trap a lot easier just relaxing a grip to fire then flinching.

Big Jack

3. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

I don't normally flinch when shooting anything. I use a release when shooting trap as general rule but it is not necessary. I switch back and forth with no problem. You do, however, have to be cognizant of which gun you are shooting and that is not a problem for me.

4. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

not to be a smart ass Redhawk......but there are a LOT of release shooters.....how often do you see this happening? there is your answer....

5. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I'm a release trigger flincher.. On all but one.. I nosedive the barrel.. They don't work well for me...

6. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

likestoshoot, I have the opposite experience.

All the trap houses I seen shot have been with pull triggers.

Just because you haven't seen this, it does happen.

Hauxfan!

7. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

What's with you people that don't understand release triggers, snap caps, toe guards or what ever. I shoot with and around all of these aids and have for years. The people that scare me are the want to be shooters or some time shooters who have no idea of what they speak and show their ignorance with ever negative comment. If you your self are not capable of under standing the correct safe use of these items then go buy a fishing pole but watch out hooks are sharp and you might poke your eye out. Post-2

8. Trap4

Trap4 Member

Post 2 --Very, very well put.

trap-4

9. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I shoot a release trigger on my Alfermann for handicap and singles most of the time, and pull/pull on my Beretta 682 for doubles, and singles some of the time. I have no trouble switching back and forth.

10. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Redhawk, I have a friend who shoots lots of Trap w/ release trigger. One day we were shooting skeet, he has a different gun for that and has not yet installed a release on it. He had no problem other than mental the first 7 stations. We got to high 8 and he set the trigger or so he thought and blasted about 20 targets still in the turret on the machine. I still tease him about shooting a 38 on that round. LOL So YES it does happen. He didn't shoot skeet with me again for over a year. He still shots a pull trigger for skeet and sporting clays as well, even though he keeps telling me he wants a release installing in that gun. I too have seen a few shooters shoot the trap house with a pull trigger thinking they were shooting their normal gun w/ release in practice because of shooting a old gun they have not shoot a few years and wanted to shoot it that day. Bottom line is no-one is perfect. These shooters were all seasoned ATA shooters as well. But they don't scare me like the want-to-be hunters that come out once a year to shoot a few rounds before they go out and hunt. They make me as nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs. LOL. Pull or release is your choice. Have fun and Break-em all. Jeff

11. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

bravo Post 2

12. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

Pull & mark, that is exactly what I wondered about.

I can see a guy using a release trigger if that is all he shoots, but my concern would be what happens when he changes systems?

What happened to your friend is about what I would expect to happen.

As an unrelated (to shooting) example; I have a son who is handicapped. His car has hand controls and it is no problem driving it.....until something unexpected happens, at which time it is difficult to remain focused enough to push down on the hand control to apply the brakes.

It just seems to me that switching back and forth from release to pull would enhance the potential for accidents.

13. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Redhawk, I believe your right about the potential for more accidents as well!!! Luckily we are talking about a small number of mostly trap shooters!!! I'd say by guessing less than 6% of shooters shoot a release. On a high note, these are seasoned shooters that have been shooting for a long period of time that want to continue to shoot even though they have developed a problem w/ flinching. These misfire problems happen safely down range and do not make for unsafe shooting. I'd would like to guess to say that around half of them have a different problem and that the flinching is the only symptom they notice. Some would be cured if they found that problem. Like recoil device, which there are many to tame recoil, 2nd is, as I call "site picture". If a shooters brain sees something wrong with what is the norm it hesitates from pulling the trigger (until its fixed) while it still tries to pull the trigger at the normal time. Most of the time we don't even notice why it happened. Like moving gun to fast or passing the target to far, losing sight of the target for just a second, there are a number of things that will do this. I still like to look at the end of my barrel from time to time. Darn it !!!!! If you see a unsafe shooter at your club let someone know ASAP. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.