1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I have a problem loading RXP wads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bird30, Nov 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

I am having a problem loading RXP wads in the new AA hulls. Anyone have the same problem. They load just fine in the remington hulls but the AA's when they are in the final crimp stage collapse the hull in the middle.

Dave

2. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

I should have listed my load. 22 1/2 grains of PB, RXP wad and 488 grains of
    7 1/2 mag shot.

3. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Duhhhh ... why not just stop trying to load them int AAs?

AAs have a base wad that extends part way up the hull and the RXP wads are catching on it and not going all the way down.

For AA hulls, get AA wads or others designed for them!

4. Mountainsteve

Mountainsteve Member

I use clay buster 8118-12 which is a figure 8 replacement wad they work OK. The Remmington STS hulls are much better. They crimp better and last much longer than the new AA's. Are you loading 1 1/8 oz?

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Dave, sounds like one to threee different adjustments needed to close the hull. If your using a Mec. I suggest you call Mec and go over the adjustments you'll need. Once done correctly you can load both hulls with no problems with that wad. First check the wad depth before you dump the shot into the shell to see if it set deep enough. Then my adjusting both crimping stations and maybe even more important is the cam action on the final crimp. I've never used that much powder in a AA so I don't now if there is enough room??? break em all Jeff

6. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

Steve 492 grains is a 1 1/8 oz. I have 5,000 RXP wads that I wanted to load. I have AA white wads which work fine. I thought someone might have a solution to the problem. I will have to load my AA or fig 8 wads I guess and load the RXP wads in my remington hulls. The RXP's load just fine in the old AA's but I ran out of them.

Dave

7. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

Jeff I load on a Dillon and the crimp starter and crimp final loads both hulls just fine with OEM wads. Thanks for trying to help me.

Dave

8. shoot for ever

shoot for ever Member

the old AA hulls dont have the bottom wab.

9. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

You can try to increase wad pressure and get the RXP past the base wad in the Winchester hull. Winchester put out a recommendation on this when the hulls first came out. With some wads it works and with some wads it doesn't.

Ajax

10. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

The newer style AA's have problems loading Winchester components let alone the Remmy stuff you are putting in there. That RXP Wad is a great wad, I love them. They will reload fine in the old style AA's trouble free. Forget about all the newer style Winchester stuff and switch to STS's and Nitros and don't look back. If you can get some CF Winnies hulls pick them up. Many old style out there yet. I see guys picking up Gun Clubs and leaving the new AA's laying on the ground. That is NOT a knock at the Gun Clubs, they reload great.

11. Habib

Habib Member

Lots of people shouldn't reload.

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Ajax said; "You can try to increase wad pressure and get the RXP past the base wad in the Winchester hull. Winchester put out a recommendation on this when the hulls first came out. With some wads it works and with some wads it doesn't."

A cocked wad, regardless of how much pressure you seat it with is still a cocked wad? The internal wad lip built into the new improved AA hull still sux big time for a reloader. Great, if you use all AA style wads?

Hap

13. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

Lots of people shouldn't reload.-Habib

If that was directed at me, I have loaded shells from 1956 and have never had a problem with my reloads. I load 75 different cal. in pistol and rifle plus 4 ga. in shotgun.

Dave

14. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

bird30,

There is no magical answer to your problem. The newer style AA's just suck to reload. I had a bunch once fired hulls given to me a while back and I reloaded them as one and outs. The only wad I had any luck using was the DR XL-1 Green. I simply reloaded them with 1 oz of shot and moved on. Since then, I just refuse to reload any of the newer AA's and stick with Remington hulls.

The answer is to change hulls or wads, as your combo isn't going to work. I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but it is just the cold hard truth.

ss

15. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

A cocked wad, regardless of how much pressure you seat it with is still a cocked wad? The internal wad lip built into the new improved AA hull still sux big time for a reloader. Great, if you use all AA style wads?-Hap

Hap you are absolutely correct. When the new AA's came out, even using the white AA's, the loader manufacturers had trouble telling how to load them. They finally found that by using 50# of wad pressure solved the problem. I even bent my org. drop tube loading them. I called Dillon and told them what my problem was and the sent me one that was the new design. It was more heavy duty built.

Dave

16. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

SS yes I think you are right. I will load them in my STS's and load the AA's with white AA wads or figure 8 wads both work for me.

Dave

17. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

I want to thank everyone for their comments as I don't want to leave anyone out. It is great that we have a web site that we can hear what others have done to cure problems that trapshooters have.

Dave

18. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I have been loading since the late 60's. My first advise from an experienced loader was, "always use the wad designed for the case". I have followed this advise and the only similar problem I had to yours involved using XXXX brand replacement wads in a Federal Gold Metal hull. The wads were stiffer than the hull and would not collapse during final crimp so the hull would. When using PB or 7625 I would use a 1 ounce wad due to the powder volume.

19. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

Dave,

You are using the wrong wad in the new WW hulls.
    Doesn't matter how long you have loaded, mismatching components doesn't generally work.

I'm with the others, dump the WWAAs and load Rem hulls with the RXP wad.
    Even the old AA wads don't work well with the new AA hulls.

ed

20. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Here's your problem. First of all, contrary to all the "must be the lip in the new AA's" problem identifiers, it has nothing to do with the infamous lip. The newer style AA's have slightly less case capacity than the older ones. You are using a load that is a bit bulky for those new cases (PB and 1 1/8oz. of shot). Couple that with a wad (the RXP) that doesn't like to collapse in the middle and a reloader that doesn't support the entire case head and your doomed. If you could drop your shot payload to around 1 1/16 oz. your problem will likely go away. You might just have to bite the bullet and go back to AA wads.

Been there-done that!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.