1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I have a new puppy

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Pocatello, Apr 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

After about six years without a dog, I got a new puppy Sunday. He is seven weeks old, a Chesapeake Bay Retriever. He is very people oriented, and already knows how to do his business when we take him outside. Here he is with my 3 1/2 year-old grandson and me.

2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

We have a new puppy also . In December we got a two year old Jack Russell male. We really love the dog and he is good in the house only one problem .

He hates other dogs and don,t miss a chance to attack one . I have tryed to introduce dogs to him and I think he is getting better but can,t trust him yet . My wife loves him and they are becoming close but he is not friendly to most people at all . He like some and don,t have much to do with others . But he really hates other dogs .

3. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Congrats on the new puupy! Go out and buy a pair of slippers so he dosen't chew your favorites!

4. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Success with the picture!

Here's one with the granddaughter.
    [​IMG]

5. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Every time I get a puppy I learn all over again how much they impact my life. A puppy can really remind one how calm one's life has been.

6. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

So, whatdjya name him?

7. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I wanted Sonny, but got outvoted. It looks like Frodo won - Sunshine Mountain Frodo for the registered name.

8. otnot

otnot Active Member

The two best dogs I have had were chessies. You will never have to worry about someone breaking into your house or harming anyone with a chessy around. They are a lot more hard headed than labs but more natural retrieving instincts.

9. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

My last dog was a Lab out of a top field trial line. The one before that was a Chesapeake female. It is certainly true that they had different personalities, but both were great dogs. It's amazing the things they can be trained to do, and bird hunting is not the same without a trained dog. I don't know yet whether I will field trial Frodo like I did the last two, but I certainly plan to do a lot of bird hunting again.

The link above is to Sunshine Chesapeakes, McCammon, ID. Steve was a colleague of mine for years, and IMHO has always had the best Chesapeakes in the country.

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Hide your shoes and boots. Those dogs will chew them into little pieces. Beware!!!!!

11. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I have a 1 week old English Setter, whelped on April 1. The bitch delivered 3 pups but 2 of them were dead.

The survivor has doubled his weight in a week and is now almost 1 pound. He is a tri-colored male. I own the sire and my daughter owns the dam. Both hunt with me on my preserve every week from Novembner through early March. I bred them not only because they are excellent bird dogs but they have great bloodlines. I can't wait to start this youngster. If all goes as well, he will be hunting with me in the Fall.

12. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

My wife and I have always had hunting dogs - two Bassett Hounds and we now have a 14 year-old German shorthair pointer. But my wife always wanted a lap dog, so our kids and I bought her an early Mother's Day gift, a cockapoo pup. He is loveable and very nice and we all are glad we have him.

About all he's good for hunting is some paper to tear up. It's amazing how our shorthair has taken to him and how much abuse and aggravation he will tolerate from the pup. He even allows him to help him eat his dinner with no more than a mild growl of protest.

Ed

13. skeezix

skeezix Member

This is my new pup. Jaeger (on the left) is 5 mo's he is longhair weimaraner. Jake (right) is my 3 yo bl x pointer. john

[​IMG]

14. otnot

otnot Active Member

Pocatello. Did you happen to know Don Burnett who lived there many years ago? He used to field trial a lab named Bounce, which did quite well. By the way I was born in Pocatello and my family moved to Alaska in 67. Some of my fondest memories are fishing Spring Creek and hunting pheasants around there with my dad.

15. jeffprigge

jeffprigge Active Member

New Puppys GEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZ

16. englishupland

englishupland Member

17. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

The best dog I ever had was a Chessie. My sons grew up with him and you should hear them reminisce about what a great friend he was. The only danger is if your temperment is not strong enough the dog will rule you, so train him early and well.

Robert

18. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Congrats on the new pup I hope you guys make a good team and spend many years together. Alf be very careful with the attack dog:) My son got a dog from the pound and loved it but it attacked the neighbors dog and 3000 dollars in the ER for dogs later they got rid of the dog who couldn't stand another of his own kind. Very expensive lesson. Dan

19. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

I love your puppy. Enjoy! Kim

20. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Otnot - I did not know Don very well. It was about the time that I got involved with the Snake River Retriever Club that Don was diagnosed with cancer, and he died shortly after. Don was the Club's Treasurer for many years, and I was Treasurer for several years a few years after he was gone. I know his widow, Dorie, fairly well. I still see her at various functions and she seems to be doing well. I also know one son slightly - he is Dean of the Law School at UI.

I never saw Bounce perform - he died before I was involved with field trials. My Lab was also named Bounce, and Dorie liked that. He was not nearly as accomplished as Don's Bounce, but few are.

I hope that the Alaska cruise for next year comes to pass. My wife and I will likely go, and perhaps I can meet you at the State Shoot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.