1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I have a new job

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Aug 29, 2013.

1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    I have a new job since my retirement. As of September 9th I will be picking up my three grandsons at school each day. My other assigned duties will be making them a snack after school.

My daughter is going back into teaching and she will be teaching at another school. So I decided to help her out a bit. My grandsons are 9, 7, and 5, and some of my other duties will be showing them how take a part and clean the 870's I gave them and how to put them back together again.

My son in law is a carpenter and also a trapshooter and we all will eventually shoot 870s. I will lead off with a TB, my eldest grandson a D grade, 2nd oldest, an All American, my youngest an older TC from the early 60's, and my son in law a TB.

We will eventually not be the greatest squad of shooters but we will have few breakdowns on the line, I can guarantee you that.

Hope I'm around to shoot with all of them as that has always been a dream of mine. What do you think of my new job? Will I be able to handle the pressure? What do you think about my future squads equipment, will it hold up?

Steve Balistreri
    Wauwatosa Wisconsin

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Since I retired I have too many jobs.

Take the grandson to work, get the groceries, doggie park 45 minutes, mow the lawn, wow.

Almost no time to reload shells.

HM

3. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Sounds like a good job for you Steve, good luck on your future squad

4. hoot619

hoot619 Member

The best part is watching the young ones shoot and seeing their scores improve

as they shoot. Let them know they are shooting to improve there scores. if its 10 or 12 so be it, but you can work at it and do better. Never give up. My son's

first round was a 7 his son's first was a lot better. now my son outshoots me and

grandson is getting darn close. Good family fun and will last a lifetime meet a

lot of nice people. We just shoot practice rounds no registered here. Ken U

5. senior smoke

All three of my grandsons are constantly asking me how long before they can start shooting? My 9 year old is close and I am presently discussing what gun for him to start on? Thinking of a BT99 with a short choke tube barrel if the 870 is to heavy. I have a 26 inch barrel with choke tubes if necessary.
    Steve

6. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

Hey senior smoke

I have the same job now.

I have a 12 year old granddaughter that's just starting to shoot ... she not doing too bad with a handgun. She like to try trap shooting but she just can't hold a trap gun it so we are working on that right now. My other 2 grand kids are 3 and 5 and I am sure they will want to shoot some day.

My grandson had grandpa day at daycare the day I wanted to go to the state shoot at the Cardinal ... My daughter told me to go shoot but I spent the day with my grandson. Now this weekend I love to go up to Jaquas to shoot but the grandkids want to spend the weekend with us so the shoots called off for me. I think we will do a little fishing out back and maybe get the RC boat out and play with it on the pond.

I sure do love my grandkids and I will do just about anything for them.

7. senior smoke

Rick:
    You certainly seem to have your head on straight. I'm sorry to say it took me years to realize that family is more important than shooting. Instead of eating, sleeping, being out at the gun club every hour they were open, thinking about shooting 24/7, I have now put it back in perspective.
    Steve

8. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

Steve

IT sound like you're getting it .... you just had to retire to find it.

I love to trap shoot and long range rifle shooting but family comes first. I have even put off going to a shoot to help my mother in-law. I bet you don't hear that very often about a mother in-law.

9. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

I too have gone through different guns with the grandkids.

If you handload the best I have found is the Mini 20gauge from Mossberg, with 5/8 to 3/4 loads. I put a KIck-eez butt pad and comb pad. The weight is good for Young kids. Mine grandkids usually start around 7 years old if they are big enough and show an interest.

They progress through other guns as the age and grow.

Good luck with your new job,

Ajax

10. senior smoke

Rick:
    Not shooting to help your mother in law? You must be the best husband in the world or you are afraid of your wife or your mother in law? Just kidding, my wife just walked by and said that is so nice.

Then she asked me if I would give up shooting to help her mother? I said yes, but sorry to say my mother in law passed away a while back. Wish she was still her because my wife took it very hard.
    Steve

11. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

Steve,
    I am very envious of you. My grandkids are in Portugal with my son who is in the Navy. I hope they are coming back next year so I can train them my way. My son and his wife are doing a fine job at it though, so I think I can spoil them instead. All three have their first ..22 rifles. They are 7, 5, and 1.
    Pat

12. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

Steve

Sorry to here about your mother in-law.

I am not afraid of the wife or the mother in-law. Just a bit ago my wife come in to the computer room where I was at and ask if I could take her mother to the doctor Sep 18. I told her sure! I shoot that night on league's at the Cardinal but I will bank a score the week before and take her mother to see her doctor. I even do work for my mother in-law rentals that she has. she offers to pay me for the work I have done but I turn her down. I tell her to keep her money.

Tomorrow my wife and I have are 3 year old grand daughter all day ....... I think we are going to the Zoo. The other two grandkids will be in school but we will make it up to them this weekend.

My father in-law pass away this last winter and I sure miss him. We went to car race's together and I took him to some of my trap shoots that I was going to shoot in ...... he loved going places with me. We even spent time down in florida all of us together.

Have fun with your grandkids Steve they will keep you moving and not just setting around now that your retried.

13. lots of 24's

lots of 24's Member

You guys got it made! Congratulations on making it this far. You've all done well. I am happy for you all.

14. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

Hey 24's I am not sure what your age is but keep looking a head and you will get there some day soon.

15. lance howard

lance howard Member

Senior smoke.

Steve, I hit big 65 this year and after being a long time shooter found that my grandson,s love for trout fishing made some sense. I have two Grandson,s and one old BT99 and a TM1 that will be in their hands when the time comes. My only fears are health holding up for me and the opportunity to show them the game considering we live in California. My best to you and your family, Lance Howard

16. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

What a great new job Steve, enjoy yourself and your grandsons.

17. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I have been doing that since 2003 and unfortunately they haven`t started shooting yet but they do sit on my lap and reload . I must say they are very carefull as am I . Some mat say I am taking a chance on this but I have to get them started somehow and they seem to like it .

18. senior smoke

Rick:
    Your a good man.
    Steve

I purchased my oldest grandson a Lee load all. I'm teaching him the basics of reloading when he comes over to my house. We save the shells he reloads, which now totals three boxes.

I told him any one can purchase new shells but when you break a target you will feel good knowing you made the shells that broke the target.

The sport of trapshooting is a lot more than actually shooting at targets. This sport has given me so much more than I will ever be able to repay. Where else can you have so much fun and make life long friends?
    Steve

19. JohnStefanowicz

JohnStefanowicz Member

I admire what you've done. Good job.

20. senior smoke

John:
    Thanks.
    Steve